Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I don't know if this has been posted (didn't see it in the forums) but I was trying to get info from AT&T about whether or not they will activate the Pre3 on a regular postpaid account.

they sent me these two links below:

AT&T Wireless-

I purchased an unlocked phone overseas or via a non-AT&T wireless services website/store. How do I get technical support for my device?

they basically state that they will activate the device if it has been certified by AT&T (having an AT&T logo on the device, having the AT&T boot logo). the caveat is that you will only get basic network support for them; they won't help you with the phone itself.

Personally, that is fine with me.

anyone have experience with trying to get an AT&T Pre3 activated on their postpaid account?
    I'm about to use one of their tablet plans on my pre 3. Skype+GV for voice, Voogle3 for sms. 25$ a month will be my phone bill. 2gb a month of data and 10$ per gig if I go over.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    wait really?!?!?! woah if I can do that it'd knock like $60 a month off my bill....i rarely use more than 2GB of data a month anyway

would I be able to change my plan to that plan or am i locked into the same plan that I currently have with my Veer?

I am new to AT&T from Sprint and don't know whether AT&T will allow changing of plans whenever you want...thanks for any help!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    looking on the AT&T website and I don't see any tablet rate plans....where are they or would I need to call AT&T for those?

thanks
    Get Started - from AT&T

The bottom plans. "no commitment".

I just got my Pre 3 today and tried to set this up. Had to do it in-store. I gave them the IMEI number of my Pre 3 and on their end that number made my device look like an HP touchpad. They said that it was not letting them give me the plan with that number, due to compatibility.

They gave me a different, more expensive plan (5gb for 60$) and said they would credit me the difference this month, in the mean time the guy was going to make some phone calls and try to get me on the $25 per 2gb plan -- the plan I wanted. The problem was the device's IMEI number, and I think that if I gave them that number off of an Android tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy tab or something... it would let them give me the plan (I ran this by the At&t guys and they actually agreed). Problem is I have no idea where to find that number, shy of buying one and returning it. I don't know anyone with an Android tablet... But I'll wait a few days and see what the guy says... If he could not get it to work, I'll try to give him a different IMEI number and see if he can use it.
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 10/04/2011 at 08:33 AM.
    found this info on a forum and it basically confirms that I can use any IMEI number as I suspected:

"Technically, the IMEI number isn't really required for activating your phone. The IMEI is mainly used for insurance & warranty purposes on the devices that they sell. Just like every other GSM network in the world, only the sim card is activated, which will require the correct sim iccid number (8901 410x xxxx xxxx) to activate your account. An activated sim card gives customers the ability to switch phones by simply moving their sim card to another device, without contacting customer care."
    I don't think this is true. My GoPhone SIM w/ unlimited data does NOT work with my AT&T Pre 3 (voice and texts work, no data). However, my UK Pre 3 can get data using this same SIM.
    I have an ATT pre3 idling while I try to figure out a plan. I'll wait for you guys to figure it out. I do have an ATT branded Galaxy Tab (7") with discontinued data but I supposed I can always revive a data plan on that device... if that will work. So with a tablet plan, if you stick the sim into the pre3, voice and text will work too in addition to data? I really don't need more than 2gb/mo.
    i just did this now how do i set up google voice? the sim card doesnt seem to be working with my pre3 now
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    So with a tablet plan, if you stick the sim into the pre3, voice and text will work too in addition to data? I really don't need more than 2gb/mo.
    No voice. Text yes, if you pay extra. I think he would have let me get $20 for unlimited sms or lesser plans... I'm just going to use google voice. Either voogle, or just the web app.