Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder how functional the AT&T Pre3 would be if you were able to get a data-only tablet-style plan for it? Would there be some way to get google voice to work?

Those plans run $25 or $35 per month.
    the wifi plan is free, and that's how I'm using my pre3 since I am on verizon.

I'm betting data plans will be going up and voice charges will continue to drop.
    Using it as a fully functional/dedicated Skype phone would be perfect! You wouldn't be able to tell the difference since Skype is integrated.
  4.    #4  
    That might be worth a try first! Guess I could always add the voice plan later. Not sure which of the four different tablet data plans would be best, though...
    you can't just turn off voice (or you couldn't a few years ago, but you can ask), so you would basically just be using it when you have wifi service.
    This is probably not what you are looking for, but there is a plan for a phone to do data only + unlimited text

Hearing Aid Compatibility and wireless phones - AT&T wireless services

it for the deaf or heard of hearing. I never tired to use it tho.
  7.    #7  
    I was thinking of a plan for a data-only device, ie. for a netbook or tablet. One example is called "DataConnect for Tablets 2 GB" for $25/month. Another one is for the iPad. I am not a heavy voice call user, so having it work with Skype or Google Voice would be fine. Would obviously have to be watching the data usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 500vdc View Post
    I was thinking of a plan for a data-only device, ie. for a netbook or tablet. One example is called "DataConnect for Tablets 2 GB" for $25/month.
    I just got my Pre 3 today and tried to set this up. Had to do it in-store. I gave them the IMEI number of my Pre 3 and on their end that number made my device look like an HP touchpad. They said that it was not letting them give me the plan with that number.

They game me a different, more expensive plan and said they would credit me the difference this month, in the mean time the guy was going to make some phone calls and try to get me on the $25 per 2gb plan -- the plan I wanted. The problem was the device's IMEI number, and I think that if I gave them that number off of an Android tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy tab or something... it would let them give me the plan. Problem is I have no idea where to find that number, shy of buying one and returning it. I don't know anyone with an Android tablet... But I'll wait a few days and see what the guy says... If he could not get it to work, I'll try to give him a different IMEI number and see if he can use it.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for that timely info! I just got my AT&T Pre3 yesterday, and was planning to stop by the store to get a SIM card for it. I would like to have a data-only plan, and use with a skype number, but that plan may not work due to the issue you found.

I just converted my Sprint Pre number to a Google Voice number, which can then point to the Pre3 skype number (maybe?). If I end up having to go with a voice plan too, I wonder if I can port my Sprint number over to AT&T, but still maintain the Google Voice functionality...hmmm.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by 500vdc View Post
    Thanks for that timely info! I just got my AT&T Pre3 yesterday, and was planning to stop by the store to get a SIM card for it. I would like to have a data-only plan, and use with a skype number, but that plan may not work due to the issue you found.

I just converted my Sprint Pre number to a Google Voice number, which can then point to the Pre3 skype number (maybe?). If I end up having to go with a voice plan too, I wonder if I can port my Sprint number over to AT&T, but still maintain the Google Voice functionality...hmmm.

Matt
    By just converting your Sprint Pre number to a Google Voice number, did you have to leave sprint? Or are you still with Sprint and it's just some add-on service (since Sprint and Google voice are now integrated). I'm in the same boat and trying to figure out a way out of sprint into the next plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I'm in the same boat and trying to figure out a way out of sprint into the next plan.
    Way out of sprint =? how to break your sprint contract with out incurring a penalty fee? There are ways to do this. Google can help.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I just ordered an at&t pre 3, mainly because I love webos and wanted to see how well it worked on more deserving hardware. My primary number is currently through google voice, and I'm primarily looking to use the pre for data + texts through google voice, and would love to find a good data only plan.
    Tmobile will start (on October 16th) a $30 plan with 100 min talk and unlimited text Plus data for Walmart customers.

Now I just need to get my Pre 3 unlocked
    I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but I do have a question.

I have a Sprint FrankenPre 2 and I just got my Pre 3 yesterday. Is there any possible way (with Google Voice, and whatever app(s) needed), to have my Pre 2 as my Sprint phone but whenever someone calls it, my Pre 3 will also ring? (Google Voice?)
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Tmobile will start (on October 16th) a $30 plan with 100 min talk and unlimited text Plus data for Walmart customers.

Now I just need to get my Pre 3 unlocked
    That's not bad.

They currently have this, which is "unlimited" (capped speeds over 100 mb) for $50/month.

Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

No problems getting these, once unlocked, onto t-mobile, right ?
    Will we be able to get 3g with t-moble?
    I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but I do have a question.

I have a Sprint FrankenPre 2 and I just got my Pre 3 yesterday. Is there any possible way (with Google Voice, and whatever app(s) needed), to have my Pre 2 as my Sprint phone but whenever someone calls it, my Pre 3 will also ring? (Google Voice?)
    yeah, that's a feature of google voice. Set each number as a phone in google voice and they will both ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    yeah, that's a feature of google voice. Set each number as a phone in google voice and they will both ring.
    What I meant is, without the Pre 3 having service / i.e. wifi only.
    Sprint Love
    What I meant is, without the Pre 3 having service / i.e. wifi only.
    Yeah, you would have to buy a skype online number and set that number up in GV. That's How I have mine configured.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Yeah, you would have to buy a skype online number and set that number up in GV. That's How I have mine configured.
    Are you using Voogle 3.0 to text and what not?
    Sprint Love
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast