Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By LCGuy
  • 1 Post By 500vdc
  1.    #1  
    Like many of you I came from Launch Day Pre on Sprint. Like some of you I came from PalmOS in the early 2000s. So here we are. I am curious to hear what you guys are thinking of doing in regard to the Pre 3. I had to have it even just to touch it and then send it back - I just had to. I got an ATT one a week ago and I love it. So the question now becomes where do we go from here? How long do we wait for someone to buy WEBOS? Make new hardware? Or Meg to restart the whole thing up again? I don't know what the answer is... a month, 2 months. three? I paid $450 I know some paid higher. I do know the longer we wait the less our Pre 3 will be worth to re-sell. Not sure what to do at this juncture. I would really be interested in opinions on this.

Thanks-
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    Like many of you I came from Launch Day Pre on Sprint. Like some of you I came from PalmOS in the early 2000s. So here we are. I am curious to hear what you guys are thinking of doing in regard to the Pre 3. I had to have it even just to touch it and then send it back - I just had to. I got an ATT one a week ago and I love it. So the question now becomes where do we go from here? How long do we wait for someone to buy WEBOS? Make new hardware? Or Meg to restart the whole thing up again? I don't know what the answer is... a month, 2 months. three? I paid $450 I know some paid higher. I do know the longer we wait the less our Pre 3 will be worth to re-sell. Not sure what to do at this juncture. I would really be interested in opinions on this.

Thanks-
    Tom

I wanted a Pre3 but couldn't seem to get my hands on one. I ended up making a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. It's no Pre3, but it is a vast improvement from my launch day Pre- (which continues to live on through the comm board in my FrankenPre).

Now it's the waiting game. Keep using my Pre2 until webOS is completely dissolved or a new company starts making devices with webOS.

That was my solution for the time being.
    To be honest, no matter what happens, the Pre 3 is a dead end device. There have been many before in the past, and there will be many in the future.

I have one. And I LOVE it. But I'm under no illusions that even if Amazon picks up WEbOS and Palm tomorrow, that they're going to do anything for the Pre 3.

That being said. I think a year and a half from now, I'll be interested in seeing what other phones are out there, and if Amazon has a webos phone that has direct links to movies, books, music and has a great browser, then I'm all in.

But that's just a pie in the sky dream.
    After all the App revolution where the Apps, that doesn't need deep integration into the phone hardware, goes HTML5 there is a fair chance that most of the new Apps, the reason we need smartphones, will work just fine in WebOS. But yes if you are a gadget freak, always needing new gadgets, the Pre3 isn't for you and you should probably reset and sell it now.
    Amazon, Samsung, HTC, even Apple.

Rumoured buyers of WebOS.
    Amazon for the kindle
    Samsung for patents (allegedly)
    HTC because they were scared of Android being destroyed by Apple, they wanted a backup OS
    Apple for patents (allegedly).

HP want to sell, the new CEO wants to sell, they will sell it in the end. Trust me, WebOS has HUGE potential, and big companies see that. Put WebOS on some great hardware like the SGSII and it'll be huge. This is not the end of WebOS.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    We are going to go with iphones on Sprint for now. At the end of that contract cycle I hope there is a webOS phone to consider. Been a Palm/webOS fan for a long time, hope I can continue to be sometime in the future.
    I think many get way too hung up on the "future" of mobile devices.

Look, the phone you choose now is what you will have for a year or two.

If it works, NOW, and can achieve the things you want, NOW, then who cares about next year, or the year after - when that time comes, you will decide THEN what to do.

So, to answer the OP's question, relative to the Pre 3, here it is, in a nutshell:

Those who really likes WebOS, but wanted a bigger screen, a faster CPU, a camera with more pixels and autofocus, and are on ATT or T-Mobile or any worldwide GSM carrier, guess what?

The ultimate WebOS device, to date, is available for you to buy, at affordable prices. There are tons of apps for it too, both on Preware and the HP app catalog - more than enough to last you the next year or so.

No phone will last us forever, sadly enough. With LTE coming, and quadcore processors emerging next year, once again, smartphones will evolve, and any device you purchase today will be completely obsolete next year...

The key here is, TODAY, to buy the device that fits you and what you need, and want, and should be able to last you for 1 - 2 years.

My Pre 3 is an incredible fit for me; its not the fastest, the "koolest", the most "speced out" device, but, it seems to be doing everything that I, as a WebOS user, who needs a smartphone with multitasking and multimedia capabilities, want and need, with incredible hardware that should last the next year or two, not to mention the homebrew community here, that will, if I continue to support them, help me keep my device customized and performing in top condiition, as well.

So, goals achievled, for me; now, onto other things in life that need my attention.

Last edited by LCGuy; 10/01/2011 at 08:08 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    well said
    I am locked in tight with a working Pre Plus, Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3. Should last me a long long time as long as I can get batteries. I say a long time as I tend to break the hardware so maybe I can get by for 3-4 years with these devices. By then maybe Windows 8 Phones will be working good.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt95 View Post
    Amazon, Samsung, HTC, even Apple.

Rumoured buyers of WebOS.
    Amazon for the kindle
    Samsung for patents (allegedly)
    HTC because they were scared of Android being destroyed by Apple, they wanted a backup OS
    Apple for patents (allegedly).

HP want to sell, the new CEO wants to sell, they will sell it in the end. Trust me, WebOS has HUGE potential, and big companies see that. Put WebOS on some great hardware like the SGSII and it'll be huge. This is not the end of WebOS.
    Yes - the *potential* is huge. But worthless if nobody is there to invest resources and *realize* it.

Neither Amazon nor Apple are going to buy it. Apple might be interested in snatching up some Palm patents for the Big Patent War. But Apple has no interest in webos. If they could get it for small change they might buy it to kill it. Anyway- buying patents and webos is two different things. It doesn't matter if they originated from the same company.

Of course HP will be trying to sell assets they they won't use themselves anyway (I'm not buying into the licencing claims - that won't work - HP will just retain a licence for printers etc... as part of the deal). But the fact that HP would sell it means nothing until a buyer agrees with them on a price.

If Samsung were to buy webos then it won't be for patents (they already got some form Google and anyway can aquire patents independent from webos - people need to stop thinking that there is a necessary connection). It would have been to have an alternative to Android (Nokia/MS and Google/Motorola are challenging). Anybody who wants webos want to be like Apple - have your very own, fully controlled, vertically integrated platform. That's what HP bought it for (they just didn't have the Vision, Determination and Competence to make it happen).

After Samsung said no (and they were the most likely candidate IMHO), HTC is the next most likely suitor. After that comes Dell. And then we are at the end of the line.

Apple already has a successful platform. They simply don't need webos. Sure - webos UI is better than IOS - but the implementation is not compatible with what Apple has and wants. Plus Appple would never just use webos as a new UI layer - and thereby concede that IOS wasn't already the bestest possible mobile OS ever. That will not happen.

Amazon already has all it needs. They just released a range of tablets that full do what Amazon wants from the tablet market. They don't make money from the kindles. The Kindles are a means to an end. Not the final product. And why would they torpedo a promising start of the new Kindle range by aquiring webos? That would send the message that next year a new range of devices might come out - incompatible with what people are getting used to now. That will not happen.

HTC - like Samsung - has a twofold interest in an alternative to Android:
    1) The escalating patent wars over Android.
    2) To have their own platform. Not shared by several other companies. Sharing costs for developing the low level stuff is all fine - but on the UI level and feature support they all want to offer customers something distinctive to bind people to their own company - and not just to the Android platform. And Android is looking less attractive since Google bought Motorola. It could be healthy to invest in an alternative.

Dell is a possibility because they tried to get into the mobile market for years - and less than successful. And they also need to get more high-margin products. Their motivation would be similar to HP (from last year). And unlike HP they have less alternatives to fall back on.

But even assuming that HP is in talks with HTC and Dell (perhaps even Samsung still) and me being an optimist I wouldn't give any of this more than a 1 in 10 chance.

For the moment we have to assume that webos (even while invigorated for the short term by the firesale buzz) is a dying platform.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Buy the phone for today, not tomorrow. For me it is a killer phone that will easily get me a year and a half, after that I will make a decision then. I just hope there is a good portrait slider that can multi task effectively, other than that I am sure it will be fast and do what I need....and we know battery life will be better :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post

Thanks-
    Tom
    If you are already worried about the resale value - then don't hesitate - sell now.

The platform is likely dead and fresh apps will almost exclusively by homebrew. So basically assume that what you have now available is more or less all there will ever be. Base your decision to keep it (or not) on that.

For me the Pre3 is close to perfect. I look forward to using it for the next couple of years. And then I'll see what's what then. Perhaps webos gets saved again. Probably not. Won't matter much to me for 1-3 years. I don't plan to sell it. I'll use it until it is used up.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I just bought the Pre 3 the other day, waiting to get it on monday. Won't be able to use it for a little while, until we move from Sprint to AT&T.

But the Pre 3 will definitely be my next phone and it'll be for a while. I've had a Pre, Pre 2, and Veer (that I don't use).

I can't wait for my 3.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    I have gone from other, unusual phones (Sony T608 - first bluetooth on Sprint...very weird introduction...delayed for months), to the Treo 650 (no camera...were not allowed where I worked then), to the Sprint Pre (couple of days after launch). I was able to pick up a firesaleTouchPad, so I now want to experience all the current capabilities of WebOS.

I have been waiting for the Pre3 all year, one of those hoping that it would somehow make it to Sprint. But, since that will not happen, I was considering a Veer. When I saw the price of a Pre3 on ebay drop to $300, I picked up an AT&T Pre3. If the Verizon version was cheaper now, I would have picked that instead.

Since I went through about 4 Pre's due to cracked screens, etc., I will try to pick up another Pre3 as a spare if the price gets down to $100 or so. Since there is NO warranty or really any support (other than here!) for this device, it is not the most logical choice, but I really love the way WebOS works, and want to hang on a bit longer.

I like Sprint, but am willing to leave for this device...even though unsupported. Seems illogical, but I will enjoy it!
    Last edited by 500vdc; 10/01/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    rslite likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the input - I really was wondering how long I could get out of my Pre 3 with bugs remaining or apps not being ported over, but you guys all seems to think a year and a half or so is not out of the question for this phone as is. I think I will now wait till the end of the year and go either iPhone or windows if no one picks this thing up and makes it the great platform it deserves to be. Thanks again for the insight and responses.

Tom
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Hopefully another major company will see the potential and take WebOS and the lovely new HPalm hardware of HP's hands. I really think that with the new Pre 3 and Veer hardware the amazing WebOS has more potential than ever. I fail to see how HP can give up on it now. However, if another major company buys it, i feel that the way to success for WebOS is shorter than ever. What is wrong with WebOS now are really just details and what is right with it is years ahead of other OS's. When HP won't do it, WebOS just needs a company ready to invest the money needed to get it out there, making it attractive for developers to create apps for. Because i have no doubt people will buy WebOS phone, they just need to know it exists. And that it has a future. With apps.

Long live WebOS!
    And even if you get an iPhone or WP7 phone, in a year, there will be something amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    To be honest, no matter what happens, the Pre 3 is a dead end device. There have been many before in the past, and there will be many in the future.

I have one. And I LOVE it. But I'm under no illusions that even if Amazon picks up WEbOS and Palm tomorrow, that they're going to do anything for the Pre 3.

That being said. I think a year and a half from now, I'll be interested in seeing what other phones are out there, and if Amazon has a webos phone that has direct links to movies, books, music and has a great browser, then I'm all in.

But that's just a pie in the sky dream.
    Pre 3 is more like a dead man walking, a true Frankenstein.

Which is why I like it.
    My 3 should arrive today. Other than the fact that I probably slightly overpaid for it on ebay (I bought just hours before the flood of 3s showed up ), I agree with the posters above. It's the phone I want now, and barring drops to the pavement, it should work great for the near future.