webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > UK Pre 3 GPS issues
UK Pre 3 GPS issues
Like Tree1Likes

Old 09/30/2011, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi, I've been searching for any info on this and found none, so thought I'd make a post.

I'm new to webos and just got a pre 3 here in the uk, it's great, but my biggest problem with it has to be the GPS responsiveness. The maps app spams 'your current location is unavailable' notifications at me, and I can't get a location fix for a long time (5-10 minutes), sometimes never, even outdoors. That can't be normal, can it? When there finally is a location fix, it doesn't update at all unless I restart the app, making it utterly useless as a navigation device.

Do I have a bad unit, or is that normal for the Pre 3? When i was searching around for info I found that the pre 2 had really bad gps, is that the case for all you pre 3 owners too?
Is there anything I can do to improve the gps performance?
safetravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

i'm also in the UK and i used to have this problem a lot with my Pre +. i have a pre 3 now and i find that it very rarely happens to me, it seems the GPS is a lot better.

i guess what i'm saying is "works for me!", i'm sorry to say.

does a reboot fix it for you?
gastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ah, I've rebooted so many times, no luck unfortunately. I got it from mobiles.co.uk, so getting a replacement would be a massive pain as I'd have to send it back and everything, if there even are replacements available that is...
thanks for your info, anybody else have any feedback?
Old 09/30/2011, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I do have the same / similar problems with the GPS on my pre 3 and did also on my pre 2. I paid 40 quid for Ndrive on my Pre 2 which was next to useless. Findng my location via wifi is almost instant tho so guess it is the GPS hardware not the applications. BTW Carphone warehouse have INSTORE stock of Pre 3's as I took mine there yesterday and had it replaced due to a faulty volume rocker. I believe Mobiles.co.uk is owned by carphone warehouse so you might have some luck. im sure they would agree your pre3 was faulty if you asked them to use the Bing maps on it!
duncanjameshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Did you have a good data connection at the time? It will work without, but Time to First Fix will be slower.

Where were you when you tried it? You need a good view of the sky to get a quick fix, especially without a data connection for GPS aiding.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hello,

I live in the Netherlands and have a (UK) Pre3. In the beginning I also noticed that it took a long time for a GPS position lock, especially indoors, but after some time finding its position went faster. I would recommend to try it out in the open sky a few times and see if it's getting better then..
apeka53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanjameshill View Post
I do have the same / similar problems with the GPS on my pre 3 and did also on my pre 2. I paid 40 quid for Ndrive on my Pre 2 which was next to useless. Findng my location via wifi is almost instant tho so guess it is the GPS hardware not the applications. BTW Carphone warehouse have INSTORE stock of Pre 3's as I took mine there yesterday and had it replaced due to a faulty volume rocker. I believe Mobiles.co.uk is owned by carphone warehouse so you might have some luck. im sure they would agree your pre3 was faulty if you asked them to use the Bing maps on it!
Hi Duncanjameshill, I also have a Pre3 and I'm in the UK. I see that you bought NDrive. Does it work on the HP Pre3? I cannot find it on my Pre3 HP App Catalog.
cheers NK_Newbury
NK_Newbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
Hi Duncanjameshill, I also have a Pre3 and I'm in the UK. I see that you bought NDrive. Does it work on the HP Pre3? I cannot find it on my Pre3 HP App Catalog.
cheers NK_Newbury
COnfirmed, I can't find it either.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

GPS didnt work on my Pre3 until i turned on 3g data on the phone.

I normally leave it off and just use wifi since i have limited data quota.

Martin
Old 09/30/2011, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
Did you have a good data connection at the time? It will work without, but Time to First Fix will be slower.

Where were you when you tried it? You need a good view of the sky to get a quick fix, especially without a data connection for GPS aiding.
I've tried it in several places, birmingham, cornwall, cambridge, outside, with a good data connection. It's really annoying because I jumped ship from the iPhone 4 to get away from the Apple lock-in, but now I feel like I've been punished; the iPhone would locate me in seconds, indoors or out...

Thanks to the person with the Carphone warehouse tip, I'll try that tomorrow!

Got to say, precentral is a great community.
Old 09/30/2011, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
cheers NK_Newbury
Sorry, I meant i had it on my Pre2 but due to the GPS issues it hardly ever picked up a signal. I sold the Pre2 to buy my Pre3 and then found no Ndrive in the app catalog. I have emailed Ndrive to see what the situation is, but have had no answer as of yet, although, even if I get to download it to my Pre3 without paying again, I doubt it will work as Facebook CheckIn doesn't nor Bing Maps.
Old 09/30/2011, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post

I didn't think of that but its obvious i suppose - if it works well via wifi then it would via 3G. I live in a rural area with virtually no 3G tho. I kind of assumed the GPS in the phone would just work the same as my TomTom which is as good as an instant GPS fix.
Old 09/30/2011, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=safetravels;3186246]

Thanks to the person with the Carphone warehouse tip, I'll try that tomorrow!

[QUOTE]

No problem. I called them on this number - 0845 601 0410. I would call first as not all stores have stock. i know there are 5 more in the Wolverhampton branch (01902 420194)and that Wallsall, Birmingham and a couple of other West Midland stores have them. It did take me a while tho - the first couple of times I called I was told that they were unavailable (and unrepairable!) until I pointed out they were selling them on their website! If you are not in the Midlands then I know they will deliver to your local branch.
Old 10/17/2011, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have the same issue on my US Pre 3, where the GPS doesn't seem to work 3/4ths of the time, whether using the Facebook app, Weather Channel app, etc. I've tried changing the settings in Location Services to no avail. My gf's Pre 3, both on H2o Wireless, has flawless GPS.
Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2011, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

UK Pre 3 in Sweden. GPS is not working well for me either. No fix most of the time, but occasionally it works.
tomoqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2011, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
UK Pre 3 in Sweden. GPS is not working well for me either. No fix most of the time, but occasionally it works.
Exactly the same behaviour my UK Pre3 (on Vodafone) sees in the UK. Most of the time there's no GPS fix, except very occasionally.
adl73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2011, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

I would recommend adding the patch that turns GPS on from the menu. I had an issue after doctoring. Adding that patch and turing on GPS resolved it.

Now when I go into maps or ndrive I get a fix. Ndrive prompts me to use locations services. If you aren't seeing that you may have the same issue I had.
Rockett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: adl73x
Old 10/22/2011, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockett0 View Post
I would recommend adding the patch that turns GPS on from the menu. I had an issue after doctoring. Adding that patch and turing on GPS resolved it.

Now when I go into maps or ndrive I get a fix. Ndrive prompts me to use locations services. If you aren't seeing that you may have the same issue I had.
That seems to have helped a bit. Maps now gets a fix on third try. Foursquare also works after a retry on GPS timeout.
adl73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2011, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

You can also try the GPS Fix app in the app catalog. Open it up and type T-A-B on the keyboard (ignoring the software buttons in the app) and that should get the GPS to wake up in a jiffy. My Pre 3's GPS has been mostly responsive but every now and then it requires a poke by that app. It's still a million times better than my Pixi+ or Pre 2 were. I had to use the GPS Fix app for like 5 minutes to get a lock, and sometimes it wouldn't't work at all.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: g7
Old 10/22/2011, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm in the UK, no problems with my GPS. Might be worth installing the toggle GPS patch, turning it on and off again might do the trick?
leonkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ZeroWingUK likes this.

Tags
gps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0