1.    #1  
    My Pre3 has developed a fault. It randomly loses the SIM (going to "searching for network" and SIM Manager cannot find a SIM). After speaking to the suppliers (HP, Vodaphone & Mobiles.co.uk) it has been decided that I will be getting a new Pre3 as a replacement. What a hassle!

I am not sure what to do about the Apps I've bought. Will I be able to download & reinstall them without charge?
    everything you bought will automatically be downloaded to the replacement when you log in to your webOS profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    everything you bought will automatically be downloaded to the replacement when you log in to your webOS profile.
    ...so log onto wireless when you turn it on!
    How did you get a replacement? They wouldn't let me do anything. Said the device wasn't supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by zachthemaster View Post
    How did you get a replacement? They wouldn't let me do anything. Said the device wasn't supported.
    Sounds like the OP bought an officially released European model.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Sounds like the OP bought an officially released European model.
    I have a UK Pre. How much more official does it need to get?
    HP told you the device wasn't supported?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I bought my Pre from the UK official Palm website in UK pricing!! shillings and farthings that is.
    The reason you or I will not get a replacement or anything is simply because they do not have a single device in stock... not one!

The best they can offer us is an AZERTY one.
    I don't see how HP could avoid warranty liability in France, UK or Germany. The devices were officially sold. And customer protection laws are generally strong in Europe.
    Even at a greatly reduced price HP can't escape having to replace faulty devices within the first 6 months (6 months for Germany at least - not sure about FR and UK).

In the US you might be out of luck. Depends on HP want to handle this. But given their reactions so far I think you might eventually get a replacement even in the US if you keep asking and bothering them. For the moment they seem interested in keeping the dearly bought buzz going (might help with eventual sale of webos and other assets).

IANAL
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I can confirm that in the US for the AT&T branded models, the official HP line is that it is not a supported device. My Pre3 back cover doesn't charge when on a touchstone. This isn't an issue of it sticking well or not, it's that it won't charge. I called HP and they said there was nothing they could do about it since it wasn't an officially released device and since the serial number wasn't in their system. Has anyone had any luck with HP honoring warranty in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallan View Post
    My Pre3 has developed a fault. It randomly loses the SIM (going to "searching for network" and SIM Manager cannot find a SIM). After speaking to the suppliers (HP, Vodaphone & Mobiles.co.uk) it has been decided that I will be getting a new Pre3 as a replacement. What a hassle!

I am not sure what to do about the Apps I've bought. Will I be able to download & reinstall them without charge?
    For the record opening up the sim toolkit on my AT&T Pre3 yields no results. It says no sim services by operator or unable to retrieve but my phone works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallan View Post

The apps are associated with your WebOS profile. They should all automatically reinstall on your new Pre 3 (one of the many benefits of this OS).

You may want to run a backup if at all possible over wifi first but most likely you will be safe. Even if they don't back up if you go to the app store they will likely be available for free once you sign in to your profile.

As an aside, kind of funny how Apple is now touting their really cool "unobtrusive notifications" and their "cloud service" which have been standard WebOS features for over two and a half years!

PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I'm in Europe right now with my Verizon Pre 3 and it does the same thing....
    Just because it is a UK Pre3, it doesn't mean it was purchased through official channels. I am sure they have documentation of what devices were sold to employees vs. through official channels.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by gman129 View Post
    HP Employees weren't supposed to resell the Pre3's with certain serial #'s. Hence they got it for dirt cheap because it's for personal use only. No refunds, no exchanges, no support, and no job if they get caught.
    I'm still not believing that 100% with HP allowing 12 devices purchased. Either way, my comment was in response to the post about a UK Pre3 being "official".

Anyways many folks around here own at least 1 device purchased by an HP employee.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by lespedeza View Post
    I can confirm that in the US for the AT&T branded models, the official HP line is that it is not a supported device. My Pre3 back cover doesn't charge when on a touchstone. This isn't an issue of it sticking well or not, it's that it won't charge. I called HP and they said there was nothing they could do about it since it wasn't an officially released device and since the serial number wasn't in their system. Has anyone had any luck with HP honoring warranty in the US?
    Open the cover and try to move the connector pins around. This happens to me too. I fixed the issue when I move the pins around and also make sure that your back cover is on tight.