Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    ... Or planning to build compass functionality into an existing app (like Geocaching?) The compass in the Pre3 was something I'd long looked forward to, and I'd really like to put it to use!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Try maptool pro, it has a working compass overlay. Plus the offline caching makes it great for geocaching when there's no cell signal.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the heads-up. What's a 'compass overlay?' Couldn't find anything that looked like a compass in the screenshots of the app.

It shows up as a small compass needle with the cardinal markings and smaller degrees. It looks like the older heading markers for older maps. But of course it moves.

If you are looking for a large compass then it might not be enough for you.
    ... Or planning to build compass functionality into an existing app (like Geocaching?) The compass in the Pre3 was something I'd long looked forward to, and I'd really like to put it to use!

There's a free one for the Touchpad. Maybe if you ask the dev of that app nicely, he/she might port it to the Pre3.

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    There's a free one for the Touchpad. Maybe if you ask the dev of that app nicely, he/she might port it to the Pre3.

I'll whip up a quick free one if nothing's out by this weekend
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    LCGuy likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'll whip up a quick free one if nothing's out by this weekend
    Thanks for taking an interest in this, Jason! IMO, the compass is the most undervalued piece of hardware in the Pre3.
    A few days later than what I say, but as promised, I just submitted my free app Quick Compass, exclusively for the Pre3.

Here's a screenshot:

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Man, you are unreal Jason, we luv you (manly love).....lol!
    LCGuy and Holliefant like this.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    A few days later than what I say, but as promised, I just submitted my free app Quick Compass, exclusively for the Pre3.

Here's a screenshot:

Click to view quoted image
    Hi Jason,
    Thx for the app. It looks great!
    Where/when we can dl it?
    App Catalog or Preware?
    You're the one putting some hope to all webOS fans hearts.

PS
    I'm waiting for another of your app. LED Torch.
    Keep checking.

Regards,
    -pretoo-
    he said he submitted it. so it'll probably take a little bit before it appears in the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Good point.
    I wasn't sure if Preware requires submissions too.
    Thankfully we have access to both App Catalog and Preware .
    Thanks for clearing this up.
    Any news where to find this app? I can't find it in Preware and it is not available in the UK app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Any news where to find this app? I can't find it in Preware and it is not available in the UK app catalog.
    As there's nothing hiomebrew or off-limits about it, I had no reason to put it on the homebrew feeds.

It was submitted as a free app to the App Catalog on Oct 6th, with no geo-restrictions, for all Pre3 devices. However it is still in "Ready for Review" status, meaning it still needs to be approved by Palm. Shouldn't be too much longer

As there's nothing hiomebrew or off-limits about it, I had no reason to put it on the homebrew feeds.

It was submitted as a free app to the App Catalog on Oct 6th, with no geo-restrictions, for all Pre3 devices. However it is still in "Ready for Review" status, meaning it still needs to be approved by Palm. Shouldn't be too much longer
    Thanks, looking forward to it!
    It's now available on the App Catalog

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...coding.compass

Edit: I just submitted v1.0.1 to Palm. it fixes the issue with the needle in the opposite position
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 10/12/2011 at 05:10 PM.

LCGuy and netwrkr9 like this.
    It's now available on the App Catalog

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...coding.compass

Edit: I just submitted v1.0.1 to Palm. it fixes the issue with the needle in the opposite position
    Jason;

Yep, I downloaded it, and it runs smoothly.. very handy!!!!!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Thanks Jason!
    Nice work Jason - just donated. :-)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Hi Jason,
    I have an AT&T Preł in Australia. I have just downloaded your app and the compass just points where it wants.
    I know normal a normal compass need to be calibrated for different regions of the earth.
    Is this stuffing with the app or will your 1.0.1 update fix it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast