Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vociferous
  1.    #1  
    Hi.. I just bought a Pre 2, but after seeing how quickly the price of the Pre 3 has fallen, I am considering selling the 2 and buying the 3.

With the bigger screen on the P3 one of the things I will definitely want is an onscren virtual keyboard. My understanding is that HP has not provided any support for an onscreen keyboard in any of the Pres, is that correct?

Searching thru Precentral, I see that about 2 years ago the all-stars at webos internals created a patch providing what Dieter Bohn at the time called a "passable" onscreen keyboard.

After that I don't see too much mention of it.

How is this patch? Are you guys using it? Has it been improved/updated? How well does it translate to the P3's bigger screen?

Any input you can give is appreciated.
    The solution I used on my Pre 2 was an app called My Home Keyboard. And I LOVE it. It seems like a PDK app. It's speedy and very solid. It has two modes, one is an integrated keyboard that you initiate from the notification bar, and one is a keyboard 'app' that can be used to copy and paste text to other apps, or send directly to the email app, or google or sms or a whole lot more.

I love that app on my Pre 2. It has not been optimized for the Pre 3 so the keyboard doesn't cover the whole screen. I've been trying to convince the dev to create a Pre 3 version, but I don't know if he has the resources.

Other than that there is the homebrew virtual keyboard patch, but I doubt it's going to make it to the Pre 3 any time soon. If it does hopefully it will be less buggy and faster.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    but I doubt it's going to make it to the Pre 3 any time soon. If it does hopefully it will be less buggy and faster.
    This actually gets to my other concern about shelling out for the P3. Will the patches work? For that matter, how are the patches for the Pre 2?

Can anyone please give a general overview of whether the patches available in preware will work on the P3? Or again, for that matter the P2.

Thanks again.
    You can enable the native virtual keyboard, but it is very buggy. It crashes the phone 100% of the time, resulting in a battery pull and reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    You can enable the native virtual keyboard, but it is very buggy. It crashes the phone 100% of the time, resulting in a battery pull and reboot.
    I agree on that, it's way to buggy to be left enabled. You don't have to pull battery to reboot though, just press and hold the power switch and toggle the mute switch on/off three times for a reboot.

/Per
    HP Pre 3 Azerty + Veer Qwertz, Nokia N900&E6
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    So how does one enable the virtual keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by jutleys View Post
    So how does one enable the virtual keyboard?
    The way I did it was with WebOS Quick Install. Search the forums and you should find the instructions.

But that's the reason why I like My Home Keyboard app. It was very VERY stable. And you can use it as an integrated keyboard, or as an app all on it's own.

And dan-o, yes that should be your concern about getting the Pre 3. I joked earlier on the forums here that it's like being a Spartan at Thermopylae. Expect nothing except a glorious death.

And it is a glorious. The cpu is finally where it should be. The keys are finally big enough. The screen is finally big enough. It's the phone I always wanted from WebOS.

And it's dead. HP has given it an upgrade, but who knows if the apps that were in the midst of approval when HP killed it's hardware business will ever see the light of day.

HP right now is a cluster f. And it's the largest pc maker in the world. If large govt offices and big business have no idea what HP has planned for their biggest customer, then we're in good company

The Pre 3 has a handful of patches after the update, but I'm very optimistic that the Homebrew community will get up to speed with other patches. HP, I'm not optimistic about, at all.
    there's a tutorial on youtube, you just need to modify a file. Anyway I don't suggest you to activate the virtual keyboard. I tried it and it' really laggy. Dvrytime you try to use it, the phone crashes and you have to quit the battery in order to restart it again.

sad but true...
    Yes i agree that My Home Keyboard is a great Virtual Keyboard, it has an engineering mode that enables you to edit the keyboard layout the way you want and it support any language by editing the keycodes so easily
    I've emailed the dev of My Home Keyboard about the Pre 3, and I hope he can get something up and running. But I'm sure it's not easy given the state of HP and the Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I've emailed the dev of My Home Keyboard about the Pre 3, and I hope he can get something up and running. But I'm sure it's not easy given the state of HP and the Pre 3.
    No reply from the dev? There are times where I wouldn't mind an on-screen keyboard instead of sliding out the physical keyboard...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobXX View Post
    Nice!!
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)