Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MudShark22
  1.    #1  
    So I was one of the fortunate geeks to snag a firesale Touchpad and then I went and fell in love with WebOS. So now I'm ready to dump my Droid for a Pre 3. I've been following the Ebay action on these phones for a while and it looks like the time is right for me

Now my question... I am already an AT&T customer with 4G data so will I just have to drop my SIM from the Droid into the Pre 3? I'd like to be able to just bounce the SIM back and forth if I ever need to use the Droid for some strange reason.

One other question, will I just login to the new Pre 3 with my TouchPad Palm profile account, or will I have to create a separate one for the phone?

Thanks a ton!
    Jon
    First question, yes. Just move the sim. They are the same size. (I don't think AT&T requires anything else.... though I have never tested this. Worst case you walk into an AT&T store. )

Second question, yes. Use the same profile.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Re: TP Only Profile

This is my personal experience, so YMMV.
    I was unable to log into my Pre3 @ first activation although I had a valid profile (though only a TP attached to it).

At Rod Whitby's suggestion, I disabled backups on my TP (which disconnects the device from Palm servers, but **does not** delete apps from the TP).

After performing that task; I was able to log in with the TP profile on the Pre3. Once the device was fully activated (apps, etc.); I then re-enabled backups on the TP.

As I said, YMMV; but if you encounter a profile log-in issue; this **may** be your solution.

- T
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Hey, I'm a bit of a noob here myself, I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions in this thread?

I'm a current Pre- owner in Sprint, and iwas currently planning to renew my contract after Sprint gets the iPhone. My question is if it makes financial sense to buy an unlocked Pre 3 instead (which are going for like 300 in eBay atm) and go to AT&T. I don't really know if ATT has good no contract data plans that would make up for the extra 100 that I'd be paying for the Pre3 on the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    At Rod Whitby's suggestion, I disabled backups on my TP (which disconnects the device from Palm servers, but **does not** delete apps from the TP).
    Why in the world would you jump thru these hoops, when the Palm profile system is designed to have multiple devices on the same profile. Rod Whitby's "suggestion" was in context to having multiple phones with the same profile. Which is something the Palm profile does not allow, i.e. having multiple phones with the same profile. In fact, the profile even allows multiple TouchPads on the same profile. It just limits the number of phones to 'ONE'.

Bottom line, if you have a Palm profile with a TouchPad registered to it, you can add as many more TouchPads to the same profile as you wish. You can also add 'ONE' phone to the same profile. But do keep in mind that you can have only 'ONE' phone per profile and if you add another phone, then the profile wipes out the profile, from the previous phone.

PS: By the way, simply disabling backups from a device, does not disconnect the device form the profile. The only reason your apps were not deleted from the TP when you switched on the 'backup' again, is because the profile has no issues with adding a phone to your TP profile.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Sanjay:

You are mistaken here my friend. Rod's suggestion was in a direct response to a specific question.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post3170254

All I can say is this:

When I had a TP only profile; I could not load the profile on my Pre3. Multiple upon multiple attempts.

Disabling backup on the TP allowed me to complete the Pre3 activation.
    There is no doubt about my experience and the solution that solved it.

As I said, YMMV. No need to be so up in arms over it.
    Last edited by MudShark22; 09/29/2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Andyf and fredewins like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    First question, yes. Just move the sim. They are the same size. (I don't think AT&T requires anything else.... though I have never tested this. Worst case you walk into an AT&T store. )

Second question, yes. Use the same profile.
    AT&T is good with the SIM switch. I will say the online account system doesn't recognize the unlocked Pre2 when I login to our AT&T account like it did the ATT Veer. No big deal you just don't see the specific image of the phone on that line and you don't get the instructions for your specific device. After a few weeks of switching to the Pre2, no problems from when we popped in the SIM.

Also had to doctor the Veer (got stuck in a boot loop after logging out of the profile that was on it), so I took the SIM out of my Veer, put it in that Veer to get through first use and set it up with a new profile, then back into my Veer no problems.

The only thing I will add to the OP, if you don't see "4G" (shown as H+) you should contact ATT. There have been some reports of people having this issue if they didn't come from a previous "4G" phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Sanjay:

You are mistaken here my friend. Rod's suggestion was in a direct response to a specific question.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post3170254

All I can say is this:

When I had a TP only profile; I could not load the profile on my Pre3. Multiple upon multiple attempts.

Disabling backup on the TP allowed me to complete the Pre3 activation.
    There is no doubt about my experience and the solution that solved it.

As I said, YMMV. No need to be so up in arms over it.
    I stand corrected. But the fact is that I had absolutely no issues in activating my Pre3 with my existing Profile. My existing profile already had my TouchPad and my Pre+ (2.1.0) associated with it. Upon activating my Pre3 on the same profile, I had no issues whatsoever and as would be expected, the profile was wiped off from my Pre+.

It just occurred to me that the reason why I did not face any problems in activating the Pre3 on my existing profile, is that the profile was originally created with a webOS 1.3.1 device and not with webOS 3.0.x as would be the case if the profile had been created with a TouchPad. Clearly the problem is limited to the situation where a profile is created on webOS 3.x.x and then a webOS 2.x.x device is added to the profile.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It just occurred to me that the reason why I did not face any problems in activating the Pre3 on my existing profile, is that the profile was originally created with a webOS 1.3.1 device and not with webOS 3.0.x as would be the case if the profile had been created with a TouchPad. Clearly the problem is limited to the situation where a profile is created on webOS 3.x.x and then a webOS 2.x.x device is added to the profile.
    Exactly. Which is why I cautioned the OP due to the fact he has no prior phone profile.

Hopefully the OP does not have the issue that I had.

All the best,

- T