Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting an AT&T Pre3 from eBay for use on Telstra NextG in Australia.

Does the Pre3 have the same kind of weird activation issues like there was with the Pre2?

If it doesn't come with an unlock code - are they easy to get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting an AT&T Pre3 from eBay for use on Telstra NextG in Australia.

Does the Pre3 have the same kind of weird activation issues like there was with the Pre2?

If it doesn't come with an unlock code - are they easy to get?
    Hi Liski,

I currently use a Pre2 on NextG and are waiting for my AT&T Pre3 which is currently in transit.

Now that the AU App Cat exists I doubt you will have any activation issues. I have a Touchpad and use the same AU profile on both without any issues.

The Pre3 I bought is already unlocked so I suspect I shouldn't have any issues. I presume I just delete the Pre2 from my Palm Profile and then actiavte the Pre3 with my usual Pre2 AU profile. (fingers crossed)

I read in another thread that PalmUnlocker: Unlock HP Veer was used by one forum member who said they had no issues with it........may be and answer for you?

I simply made sure the Pre3 I bought was already unlocked so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Hope this info assists.

Cheers.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'm guessing that HSPA+ will work on NextG?
    Once again: SIM unlock and App store activation are two different things.
    There are two modules in the phone - one with radio and it's firmware, where you insert SIM. It is called "baseband", or "modem". This one you can unlock with a simple key. It's mandated by law that there must be a way to "liberate" phones from SIM-locked state (e.g. in case you've done your 2y commitment with AT&T and want to keep the phone to use it with another provider).

Another one contains CPU, GPU and OS on flash. Part of flash is NVRAM where serial no. is stored and product code. To activate into an App store, you need a "store eligible" serial number, AT&T number will not work with AU app store (or so I hear).
    There is a procedure to change serial/product numbers on webos-wiki (Impostah).

You can change ID to EU and then it's like a free market - join any.
    But you won't be able to get AT&T new firmware (OS 2.2.3). Nor be able to use US app store.

Your call.
    HSPA+ must work (same 850MHz band) provided you use a NextG SIM.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    cubeover,

Thanx for the info. The eBay user said she will provide the unlock code.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    Once again: SIM unlock and App store activation are two different things.
    There are two modules in the phone - one with radio and it's firmware, where you insert SIM. It is called "baseband", or "modem". This one you can unlock with a simple key. It's mandated by law that there must be a way to "liberate" phones from SIM-locked state (e.g. in case you've done your 2y commitment with AT&T and want to keep the phone to use it with another provider).

Another one contains CPU, GPU and OS on flash. Part of flash is NVRAM where serial no. is stored and product code. To activate into an App store, you need a "store eligible" serial number, AT&T number will not work with AU app store (or so I hear).
    There is a procedure to change serial/product numbers on webos-wiki (Impostah).

You can change ID to EU and then it's like a free market - join any.
    But you won't be able to get AT&T new firmware (OS 2.2.3). Nor be able to use US app store.

Your call.
    Hi Cubeover,

You are saying that I can't use my AU Touchpad profile on a AT&T Pre3 and get AU Paid App Cat Access like I do on my US procured Pre2?

I presumed I could simply remove the Pre2 from my Profile and simply add the Pre3.....

Cheers.
    Not unless you impersonate it into European version. It must be done, because we talking AT&T US Pre3. Were you getting a UK Pre3 - no worries then.