Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello

    This afternoon I dropped my new (less than 3 weeks old) HP Pre3 onto concrete and the glass screen is filled with cracks.

    The phone still appears to work, including the touch screen, but it is shedding shards of glass so it is not safe to use even if I could put up with the appearance.

    I will first attempt an insurance claim and see if I can get it replaced, but if not is it possible to take the phone apart and replace either just the glass face or the entire LCD module? Are spare parts available from anywhere?

    Would it be feasible to cut a bit of plastic the same size as the screen and replace it that way?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    no, the entire assembly has to be replaced.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no, the entire assembly has to be replaced.
    Do you have any idea where I could get a replacement screen assembly?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    Do you have any idea where I could get a replacement screen assembly?
    From the spare pre3 your ordered in the event this happened.

    I don't think you will see parts for these phones available anywhere. I have been wrong before though.
  5. #5  
    your best bet is to start with an insurance claim, IMHO
  6. tchaten's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #6  
    HP can repair it for $200 - or you can get a Pre 3 on eBay for around $300 now (more than half of what I paid for it at around $680 sadly) - so yea no screen parts in the market

    I could not even buy a replacement screen for my Veer - I now have 3 Veers - one broken - one black backup model - and my main unlocked white one - so the only way it seems to repair these guys is to have extra phones that you can swap parts between - local repair shops should be able to help you out if you have the parts.
    Pre 3 QWERTY, The Veer, GSM Pre 2 and GSM Pixi Plus - 64GB White TouchPad and 32GB Black TouchPad
  7. #7  
    insurance deductible would be a cheaper option.
  8. #8  
    What insurance are you going through? I am confused by that part.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. #9  
    Exact same issue as OP, dropped my phone this weekend and cracks have ruined the screen. Unimpressed- had the same issue with my iPhone 3G (twice!) and I thought the Pre3 would survive my clumsiness. Looking in the direction of a phone that actually has cases to protect it to some extent, e.g. iPhone 4.
    A real shame as I really enjoyed my time with this phone.
    If anyone knows the best way to get it repaied, either via Palm or some other source, please let me know!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nikipod View Post
    Exact same issue as OP, dropped my phone this weekend and cracks have ruined the screen. Unimpressed- had the same issue with my iPhone 3G (twice!) and I thought the Pre3 would survive my clumsiness. Looking in the direction of a phone that actually has cases to protect it to some extent, e.g. iPhone 4.
    A real shame as I really enjoyed my time with this phone.
    If anyone knows the best way to get it repaied, either via Palm or some other source, please let me know!
    FYI - my wife broke the screen of her iphone 4 in 7 days and it had the case on it since it's required due to the defective antenna design. If you do a search you will discover that the 4 is VERY prone to cracked screens. The 3 is much better.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  11. #11  
    I'm holding out on the iPhone 5- don't get me wrong I love the Pre 3, it's shown me that it's not all android or iOS but at the same time, it has it's downsides- a case to protect the phone is my main concern.

    My dad's a clumsy iPhone user and has dropped his iPhone (from considerable height) and it's survived this far (he's had it 6 months now).

    I can't depend on a phone that can't survive a fall of half a meter, as much as I would like to.
    As for the more documented cases of iPhone breakages, that's probably down to the amount sold rather than defects.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nikipod View Post
    I'm holding out on the iPhone 5- don't get me wrong I love the Pre 3, it's shown me that it's not all android or iOS but at the same time, it has it's downsides- a case to protect the phone is my main concern.

    My dad's a clumsy iPhone user and has dropped his iPhone (from considerable height) and it's survived this far (he's had it 6 months now).

    I can't depend on a phone that can't survive a fall of half a meter, as much as I would like to.
    As for the more documented cases of iPhone breakages, that's probably down to the amount sold rather than defects.
    I dropped my Veer from well over a meter, it hit a curb and shot under a car... only a lil marring on the soft plastic. It's all about chance/angle/etc
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13.    #13  
    Update:

    I started an insurance claim, and it took ages to process, mainly because the company processing the claim did not have an entry for the HP Pre3 in their computer system, so they could not process the claim. As a result of this and other problems they have only just finished processing the claim.

    The outcome (for me) is that they have no spare phones to give me a replacement, and no spare parts to repair my phone, so they decided to give me an Android phone instead (HTC Desire S), which I have accepted, so I guess I will be leaving the Pre community, and joining android instead.

    I am also left with some redundant Pre accessories. Does anyone in the UK want to buy a touchstone charger?
  14. #14  
    MY screen broke on my Pre2, i had the screen protector on it still so it held all the glass in and not cut my finger, so if you dont have money to fix it and can deal with it till you can save up enough for a new phone put a screen protector on it.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaten View Post
    HP can repair it for $200 - or you can get a Pre 3 on eBay for around $300 now (more than half of what I paid for it at around $680 sadly) - so yea no screen parts in the market

    I could not even buy a replacement screen for my Veer - I now have 3 Veers - one broken - one black backup model - and my main unlocked white one - so the only way it seems to repair these guys is to have extra phones that you can swap parts between - local repair shops should be able to help you out if you have the parts.
    tchaten,
    I will buy your broken Veer from you. PM me if interested.

    P.S. Broken Pre 3? I'll buy those too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
  16. #16  
    I dropped my PRe 3 and the bottom of the gorilla glass display cracked. At the edge.

    I just bought the Kinomi screen protector for it, and applied it, and the cracks have pretty much disappeared, and no further cracking has occurred.

    Just a heads up for all!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  17. LevSer's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #17  
    My screen was also cracked and Im now waiting for a replacement Pre3 (I'm not leaving webOS just yet).

    However, while Im waiting for my replacement I had to use the broken one so :what I did was: I got a roll of tape - stretched out the tape and put it on the screen to get the shards to stick to it - pull the tape off. Do this over and over, dont re-use the same stretch of tape. After this get a screen protector.
  18. #18  
    Any one can tell me were to send my pre3 to repair in US?
    Last edited by tsoua2; 01/18/2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo
  19. modelnet's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #19  
    I dropped my pre 3 on the road twice from 5 ft or so , the plastic got a dent and that's come up so can't see it. It really is luck on these phones I think the pre will take a shock a little better than an ios but its still not good the drop the glass screens on any phone.
  20. #20  
    You can't. HP will not fix it and there are no independent repair centers in the United States. You'd have to send it to Germany (based on other posts I've read) and pay huge shipping costs each way along with the cost of repair to get it done. More than you probably paid to buy the phone in the first place.

    Sell your Pre 3 part-by-part and use that money to buy a new one! There are NO parts sellers out there and you can easily make a LOT more money selling for parts than you can selling your phone whole...and you could actually profit from it enough to get a new Pre 3 and have some extra money afterward!

    DO NOT SELL YOUR BROKEN PRE 3 WHOLE! You're losing out on a ton of money if you do!
    dont listen to him :-P


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions