Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    does anyone know if you could use an att go phone sim card in an att pre 3? I want a pre 3 but do not have att amd do not want to sign a contract. There are some higher end go phones like the htc surround but i dont know exactly how that whole program works. Anyone?
    Your answer is probably here (from yesterday):
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...t-prepaid.html
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Yes, you can use the AT&T Pre3 with an ATT Go Phone SIM. Why would you not be able to?
    In fact, if it is an unlocked AT&T Pre3, then you should be able to use it with any GSM SIM from any network in the world.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    There are no 4G go phones in the system yet, so there's no way to provision your go phone acct for hspa+. You will have to live with 3G for a little while, maybe another month or two. As soon as the first HSPA+ go phone is added to the system then you'll be able to get your acct provisioned to use HSPA+ by going into a store or calling customer service.

to a store or calling in to cust svc.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    I want a pre 3 but do not have att amd do not want to sign a contract.
    I have never had At&t but you should not have to sign a contract since you already own the phone outright. If I am wrong, someone fill me in please....
    Quote Originally Posted by kar1179 View Post
    I have never had At&t but you should not have to sign a contract since you already own the phone outright. If I am wrong, someone fill me in please....
    I believe that is correct.
    This is correct. I am using a Pre 2 on ATT without a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    does anyone know if you could use an att go phone sim card in an att pre 3? I want a pre 3 but do not have att amd do not want to sign a contract. There are some higher end go phones like the htc surround but i dont know exactly how that whole program works. Anyone?
    You can buy a $15 phone taht comes with a prepaid sim and activate it and then use it on your Pre 3. HOWEVER, Pre 3 like the Pre Plus before it requires 3G data enabled on the sim so you will need to buy $10 worth of data (10 MB or spend $15 and get 100 MB) on the sim.

For the life of me I don't know why the phone activation does not enable wifi before the phone is activated (like the touchpad)? But as it stands you need a sim with data enabled on it. I learnt it the hard way when I bought my Pre plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    For the life of me I don't know why the phone activation does not enable wifi before the phone is activated (like the touchpad)? But as it stands you need a sim with data enabled on it.
    There is a way around that you know, i.e. you can enable WiFi before activation.

Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    You can buy a $15 phone taht comes with a prepaid sim and activate it and then use it on your Pre 3. HOWEVER, Pre 3 like the Pre Plus before it requires 3G data enabled on the sim so you will need to buy $10 worth of data (10 MB or spend $15 and get 100 MB) on the sim.

For the life of me I don't know why the phone activation does not enable wifi before the phone is activated (like the touchpad)? But as it stands you need a sim with data enabled on it. I learnt it the hard way when I bought my Pre plus.
    Be careful with GoPhone+sim bundles. The handset and sim are locked together.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    ^^^ What he said.

The dudes at Best Buy were trying to be helpful in selling me a cheap GoPhone instead of just a SIM, but I wound up having to to to an AT&T store to get a new SIM.

They didn't charge me anything, but YMMV. And it did cost me 45 minutes on my weekend-- in retrospect, I would have just paid for the SIM up front to have saved the trip.
    If you have an employee discount from your company applied to the bill, it automatically enters you into a 2 year contract. Waiting to see progress on the prepaid stuff before my 30 day trial is up.
    I keep seeing conflicting reports on using the go phone sim. Some are saying you'll have to get the extra-cost data package too, others are saying because the pre3 isn't officially a smartphone to at&t, you can just pay the regular $50 and still get data. I don't use any more data than a feature phone user.

also, if you get a 10mb data package, what happens when you hit 10mb? No data at all, or do they just throttle you for the rest of the month?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    There is a way around that you know, i.e. you can enable WiFi before activation.
    care to explain plz?
    johnsonx42 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    care to explain plz?
    1) Turn the device on without a SIM card.

2) Wait for it to boot. It will show a graphical screen directing you to insert a SIM card. Do not insert a SIM card.

3) Type #* on the keyboard, the phone dial pad will appear.

4) Continue to type the rest of #*3386633# (the #* should already be showing) on the dial pad and hit the green phone key to dial the number. Note that you still should not have a SIM inserted.

5) The "Developer Mode" app will open. Turn on Developer Mode. Do NOT set a password. Your device will reboot.

6) Once the device has booted, you can connect to WiFi.

PS: Credit for these directions go to Rod Whitby, from here -> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)

KingNoso11, Ziplock and scjjtt like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I keep seeing conflicting reports on using the go phone sim. Some are saying you'll have to get the extra-cost data package too, others are saying because the pre3 isn't officially a smartphone to at&t, you can just pay the regular $50 and still get data. I don't use any more data than a feature phone user.

also, if you get a 10mb data package, what happens when you hit 10mb? No data at all, or do they just throttle you for the rest of the month?
    It looks like enough people called AT&T with AT&T Pre 3 questions and problems. The phone is in their system (now) and the lady I spoke to said it cannot be used with the GoPhone. It doesn't work with the GoPhone sim, while my unlocked EU Pre 3 still does...
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    the lady I spoke to said it cannot be used with the GoPhone. It doesn't work with the GoPhone sim
    What a load of cxxx. I assure you, that an unlocked AT&T Pre3 will have absolutely no issues working with a GoPhone SIM. I can't be sure of the ssame with a 'locked' AT&T Pre3.

My AT&T Pre 3 works just fine with a GoPhone SIM and GoPhone account. I don't know if it is "locked" yet.
    oh good, just what I was hoping for, more conflicting reports!
    Quote Originally Posted by rgidseg View Post
    My AT&T Pre 3 works just fine with a GoPhone SIM and GoPhone account. I don't know if it is "locked" yet.
    but were you forced to get the extra smartphone data package, or do you just have the $50 'unlimited' package
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast