Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    I needed to add a data package to use data through AT&T. At first I only had phone service and WiFi.
    that makes the AT&T gophone plan pretty expensive, by the time you add the data package. $70 per month. that's nearly what I pay Verizon each month for two phones.

I'm starting to seriously debate whether buying a AT&T Pre3 was wise. I may just resell it unopened, and hold out for a Verizon Pre3 at a reasonable price.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I'll confuse it even more-- I'm on prepaid, $2/daily unlimited plus $15/100MB of data.

Working just fine on my UK Pre3. I did have to get a new SIM-- the one that I got with a GoPhone didn't work.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    So that's basically $75/month, right? Don't they have a pay by the minute option?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray333 View Post
    If you have an employee discount from your company applied to the bill, it automatically enters you into a 2 year contract. Waiting to see progress on the prepaid stuff before my 30 day trial is up.
    I asked the guy at the AT&T store about this and he said you do not get locked into a contract. He asked me if I had an employee discount while I was signing up for a contractless post-paid plan.
    CAN YOU USE AN UNLOCKED ATT PRE3 WITH THE $50 GoPhone Plan with UNLIMITED DATA?

This is the question everyone wants to know.
    My AT&T Pre 3 does NOT get data using my GoPhone SIM ($50 unlimited plan). It works just fine with my UK Unlocked Pre 3. Weird. I unlocked my AT&T Pre 3 and data still does not work.
    BUT...if I tried another GoPhone SIM I would not be surprised if the data did work...
    Sorry, seems kind of random. Sort of like, "You mileage may vary..."

I *was* able to get my AT&T Pre3 to work with the $10 unlimited data on a post-paid plan. Go figure.

So now I have a Sprint Pre Plus, a UK unlocked Pre 3 w/ a GoPhone SIM, and an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 (actually 2) on a post paid plan. What has this HP-canceling-WebOS-hardware fiasco done to me?!? I've become completely irrational and have spent more $$ than if they had officially launched the phone! (I probably wouldn't even have gotten it on AT&T!)
    I suspect then that AT&T 'knows' the AT&T Pre3 is a smartphone, unlocked or not, and therefore blocks data on a GoPhone SIM unless you have a data package. Conversely, AT&T doesn't know what the UK Pre3 is, so it just sees it as a feature phone and allows data. I don't think a different GoPhone SIM would change anything.

So now I sort of wish I'd bought a UK Pre3 instead of the AT&T one... the AT&T seemed like the safer choice at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    but were you forced to get the extra smartphone data package, or do you just have the $50 'unlimited' package
    Just activated my Pre 3 and had to get the $25 go card. I was told the $50 plan isn't for smartphones.

I love the phone and think it is plenty snappy stock. I will play with it more tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    1) Turn the device on without a SIM card.

2) Wait for it to boot. It will show a graphical screen directing you to insert a SIM card. Do not insert a SIM card.

3) Type #* on the keyboard, the phone dial pad will appear.

4) Continue to type the rest of #*3386633# (the #* should already be showing) on the dial pad and hit the green phone key to dial the number. Note that you still should not have a SIM inserted.

5) The "Developer Mode" app will open. Turn on Developer Mode. Do NOT set a password. Your device will reboot.

6) Once the device has booted, you can connect to WiFi.

PS: Credit for these directions go to Rod Whitby, from here -> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)
    after I did this on pre 2 it just keeps rebooting after about 15 secs?
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    I asked the guy at the AT&T store about this and he said you do not get locked into a contract. He asked me if I had an employee discount while I was signing up for a contractless post-paid plan.
    I checked via chat and they told me the same thing. I went to the premier website and it makes you sign up for 2 years. I checked w/ my corp contact and they said you need 2 year contract. Were you at a corp AT&T store?

Have others got a discount w/o contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post
    I checked via chat and they told me the same thing. I went to the premier website and it makes you sign up for 2 years. I checked w/ my corp contact and they said you need 2 year contract. Were you at a corp AT&T store?

Have others got a discount w/o contract?
    I *was* at a corporate store. I was even given the option to print out the receipt that says NO CONTRACT. I would just try for yourself.
    I signed up for the $39 voice plan, plus $20 for unlimited text messaging and mobile-to-mobile, then added the $10 for unlimited data. It worked.

Still more expensive than Sprint, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to use the Pre 3.
    Once I get the Verizon Pre 3 (if I decide to), I could explore getting that to work on Sprint. But that's a whole different matter.
    I *was* at a corporate store. I was even given the option to print out the receipt that says NO CONTRACT. I would just try for yourself.
    I signed up for the $39 voice plan, plus $20 for unlimited text messaging and mobile-to-mobile, then added the $10 for unlimited data. It worked.

Still more expensive than Sprint, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to use the Pre 3.
    Once I get the Verizon Pre 3 (if I decide to), I could explore getting that to work on Sprint. But that's a whole different matter.
    $10 unlimited data? where do you see this?
    the $10 unlimited plan is for non-smartphones. they might change your service on you to the 2gb plan for smartphones...watch your bill and check your email daily to see if they send you a notification of such a change.
    at&t changed my plan to the 2gb plan. the pre 3 is recognized on their network as a smart phone. The UK Pre 3 is not (yet) and can be used with the GoPhone $50 unlimited plan or the $10 unlimited data plan for non-smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    There are no 4G go phones in the system yet, so there's no way to provision your go phone acct for hspa+. You will have to live with 3G for a little while, maybe another month or two. As soon as the first HSPA+ go phone is added to the system then you'll be able to get your acct provisioned to use HSPA+ by going into a store or calling customer service.

to a store or calling in to cust svc.
    I have a AT&T 3G cell phone and a Go Phone. After receiving my Pre 3, I inserted the 3G cell phone sim card. Everything works fine. Then, I replaced the SIM card with my go phone's. The Pre 3 displayed (on the top left corner) "Check SIM-SOS only" and there is no bar showing the wireless service. Of course, there is no call can be made. Do you know what could be wrong?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny.ca View Post
    I have a AT&T 3G cell phone and a Go Phone. After receiving my Pre 3, I inserted the 3G cell phone sim card. Everything works fine. Then, I replaced the SIM card with my go phone's. The Pre 3 displayed (on the top left corner) "Check SIM-SOS only" and there is no bar showing the wireless service. Of course, there is no call can be made. Do you know what could be wrong?
    yeah, the sim that comes with the go-phone is locked to that phone, call customer service and tell them that you bought teh gophone just for the sim but it does not work and they will send you to a corporate ATT store to pick up an unlocked sim card.
    I am tired of Sprints lousy service anyway. I'll be trying AT&T's lousy service for a while. Wanted to port a number out to a land line to my office without canceling the line. Port number A and replace it with number B. I guess that is to complicated and they are charging me a $350 ETF. I have "had" three lines at $200 per month with Sprint. I guess I know why they are bleeding customers now.
    So I have read through all these posts and basically what we have decided is that you can't get data with a Pre 3 on AT&T prepaid? I just tried to activate with my unlocked Pre 3 and thats what they told me, but I don't want to believe them. They explained to me since its considered a 4G phone I can get voice and texting on prepaid, but no data. I just wanted to try out AT&T service, TMO will let you put any phone own their prepaid. I'm using it in Walmart Family Mobile right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12