Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just updated my phone to 2.2.3 with the att doctor. Now after I installed preware there is no patches section in preware. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else noticed this? Please help me get patches back for my pre 3 on att.
    It's because the patches are version specific. Once they figure out which (if any) are broken, the patches will be transferred to 2.2.3.
    Well, that sucks.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Its not like there were many anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2sweet View Post
    I just updated my phone to 2.2.3 with the att doctor. Now after I installed preware there is no patches section in preware. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else noticed this? Please help me get patches back for my pre 3 on att.
    Did you notice any improvements over the 2.2.0? Is the OS still buggy?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrupesh View Post
    Did you notice any improvements over the 2.2.0? Is the OS still buggy?
    Buggy in what way? This is the first time I run a webOS device without patches and it runs perfectly smooth.
    Guys, many of the patches are now back.
  8.    #8  
    I'm new to webOS but I haven't noticed anything buggy. I also haven't noticed any differences between 2.2.0 and 2.2.3 so I don't know what the update was supposed to do. If anyone knows it would be helpful.
    I'm new to webOS but I haven't noticed anything buggy. I also haven't noticed any differences between 2.2.0 and 2.2.3 so I don't know what the update was supposed to do. If anyone knows it would be helpful.
    I would also know what the improvements were supposed to be. More importantly, I am very excited to see HP actually supporting the OS with not only the doctor but also an update!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    Buggy in what way? This is the first time I run a webOS device without patches and it runs perfectly smooth.
    In many ways the OS is still buggy
    1. The scrolling of calls is not smooth. Also try scrolling in phone menu, even that is not smooth
    2. The webpages sometimes become blank after loading. Sometimes they start reloading on their own volition
    3. The phone sometimes shows a lag. For example i start typing on just type...and the words register only after 5 seconds or so
    4. Apps in exhibition not yet optimised for the large screen of pre3. And many other apps i suppose.
    5. There are many small annoyances....next time i will list them out.

Having said all that...i love webos...cannot imagine myself on any other OS. Lucky to have a pre3 and i hope the UI becomes if not more ...at least as smooth as iOS.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Out of all that on my phone I only experinced the lag in the call log, and after being on webOS so long I forgot thats not normal. One bug I didnt notice on the pre 3 and veer that was smooth on 1.4.5 is pause dialing, seems the only way it works smoothly is if I put it on speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Well, that sucks.
    Yeah, it sucks that I don't have unlimited amounts of time to work on maintaining webOS patch feeds and port all the 2.2.0 patches to a new webOS version at the drop of a hat when a new doctor is released out of the blue.

Hmm.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Guys, many of the patches are now back.
    Yep, and not a thanks in sight for the hour of my life it took to get that to happen.

Just "it sucks" when it's not there instantaneously.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    frankos72 and zfrogz like this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Rod, I'm sure the OP just has no clue how patches and homebrew magically appear in prepare. Hopeful he does now
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Rod,

You are very much appreciated and I can only agree that patience is a virtue that is missing in a demanding culture.

Without WebOS internals most of us wouldn't have stuck with it. You all deserve medals, money and thanks.
    Rod,

I very much appreciate all the time and effort you've put in - without Internals, a lot of the momentum of webOS simply wouldn't be there. So THANK YOU for the everything you have done .

I'm pretty sure OP and Vociferous didn't mean for it to come across in the way that it did.
    Agreed. I'd say WebOS internals is what makes WebOS what it is. A totally closed, slick OS on its own is of no interest to me (take iOS for instance. its polished, but you can't poke at it!). Its the linuxy-dedicated developery-homebrewy-nerdy side of it that makes webOS such a good platform.

I'd say getting the patches done within a day is pretty miraculous. You wouldn't see that on any other platform. So big thanks again Rod, and all the webos internals guys.
    carldc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    Its not like there were many anyway.
    I count 111 patches for each of webOS 2.2.0 and now also for webOS 2.2.3 ...

How long do you think it took the many patch authors to write, test, and submit each of those 111 patches?

How long do you think it took myself and the other WebOS Internals developers to review and process each of those patches so that they could be safely included in Preware for you to download?

How much time do you think was spent setting up the infrastructure for each new patch feed for a new webOS version?

How much time do you think was spent porting the webOS 2.2.0 patches to webOS 2.2.3?

How much time do you think our WebOS Internals system administrators have spent setting up, maintaining, upgrading, fixing and keeping online the servers which distribute the patches feeds to you?

I simply cannot believe the sense of entitlement and ignorance shown by some people in this thread as to how much time and effort is expended by a group of volunteers who ask for nothing but donations to cover hosting and development hardware expenses.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Rod, personally I have been incredibly impressed by the speed of arrival and quantity of patches. I have had the phone only a week or two and to go from very few to all the most useful patches in that time is brilliant. A big thank you to yourself and everyone else involved. Please ignore the ungrateful minority - the majority of people are nothing but endlessly appreciative
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I count 111 patches for each of webOS 2.2.0 and now also for webOS 2.2.3 ...

How long do you think it took the many patch authors to write, test, and submit each of those 111 patches?

How long do you think it took myself and the other WebOS Internals developers to review and process each of those patches so that they could be safely included in Preware for you to download?

How much time do you think was spent setting up the infrastructure for each new patch feed for a new webOS version?

How much time do you think was spent porting the webOS 2.2.0 patches to webOS 2.2.3?

How much time do you think our WebOS Internals system administrators have spent setting up, maintaining, upgrading, fixing and keeping online the servers which distribute the patches feeds to you?

I simply cannot believe the sense of entitlement and ignorance shown by some people in this thread as to how much time and effort is expended by a group of volunteers who ask for nothing but donations to cover hosting and development hardware expenses.

-- Rod
    I think that the individuals at the begining of this thread should post a personal apology to Rod & his team for expecting patches to appear out of thin air. WEBOS Internals is not a commercial organisataion, they do this for the WEBOS community, not for profit.

Most people on here are very appreciative of Rod & all the patch writers efforts, but there will always be a minority who aren't.
    Richard

Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast