Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I just purchased an AT&T Pre3 and want to know if anyone has unlocked one? It came with an unlock code, but the guy warned me if I unlock it that I may lose the faux-g. Any truth behind this? I want to unlock it for international travel, but won't if I will lose the faster speeds domestically. i will just travel with my trusty travel phone if this is the case.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    You will only loose the faux g if you use it with a different carrier other than att.
    on an unlocked AT&T pre3, does the 4g still work with t-mobile? or will it be only 3g?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I dont think even 3g will work on tmobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    I dont think even 3g will work on tmobile.
    oh, that's alarming... I knew the EU Pre3 wouldn't have 3g on tmobile because it doesn't have the right bands, but I thought the AT&T had the right bands? no?
    I might be wrong but I thought Tmobile used a 1700 mhz band ( List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) which none of the pre3 variants support.
    At&t and eu are pretty close, its just the umts 850 rather than 900 that's different. Tmobile 3g is way out from both.. I thought both eu an at&t versions supported 2100 and 1900 bands for 3g

Palm Support : HP Veer for AT&T - Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone
    Last edited by Andyf; 09/26/2011 at 07:14 PM.
    yes, you're right, I just did some reasearch myself. I see that TMobile uses a 1700mhz band and a 2100mhz band for their 3g/4g service, while using 850mhz and 1900mhz for 2g only. AT&T uses 850mhz and 1900mhz for both (though I understand from other articles that the 1900mhz is less commonly used for 3g), so an unlocked AT&T Pre3 would have very limited data speeds on TMobile.

edit: the wikipedia article on TMobile says tmobile uses 2100mhz for UMTS/HSPA along with 1700mhz band, but every other article says 1700mhz only.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 09/26/2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I've been on Sprint for years and really don't know about locked/unlocked, so a question...
    What about unlocking and using ATT anyway?
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    actually maybe I don't really care. I use very little mobile data on my phone anyway, so I suppose if I get a Pre3 it won't matter much if I get only 2g data speeds.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    I've been on Sprint for years and really don't know about locked/unlocked, so a question...
    What about unlocking and using ATT anyway?
    GSM phones use sim cards, lil cards that plug in to the phone and carry the user information for the carrier, i.e. My phone number. You can take out the sim card and put into another phone and that phone becomes your phone. Your number, etc, etc.

When the phone is carrier locked you can't put a sim card from another carrier into the sim slot and have it work. By having an unlocked phone you can go to another country, buy a sim card for the local phone service and have a local phone while you are there. Come home, put your sim card back in and be yourself again. CDMA phones (Sprint and Verizon) don't have sim cards and can't do that.

When I got my pre3 I took the sim card out of my pre2 and slipped it into the pre3, viola, its my phone.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    has it been clearly documented anywhere exactly which US carriers you can use an unlocked AT&T Pre3 with, and what level of service you'll get?

all we seem to know so far is that with AT&T of course everything will work, and aparently with TMobile you'll get 2G only... any other choices?
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    GSM phones use sim cards, lil cards that plug in to the phone and carry the user information for the carrier, i.e. My phone number. You can take out the sim card and put into another phone and that phone becomes your phone. Your number, etc, etc.

When the phone is carrier locked you can't put a sim card from another carrier into the sim slot and have it work. By having an unlocked phone you can go to another country, buy a sim card for the local phone service and have a local phone while you are there. Come home, put your sim card back in and be yourself again. CDMA phones (Sprint and Verizon) don't have sim cards and can't do that.

When I got my pre3 I took the sim card out of my pre2 and slipped it into the pre3, viola, its my phone.
    So I COULD unlock an ATT model and still use ATT (an also have the freedom to use other carriers if I got a sim card for them).
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Why would you lose faux g compatibility when you unlock? Is there a rhyme or reason for this?.. Is this why I can't get faux g on my hp Veer unlocked??

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Any phones made for AT&T will have to be unlocked to use on another GSM carrier. In the US, the only other national GSM carrier is T-Mobile.

In order to access the T-Mobile 3G data speeds, the phone needs to have the proper 3G bands - for T-Mobile, those are 1700 and 2100; the At&T phones, unfortunately, use 850 and 1900.

So, once unlocked, the AT&T Pre 3, Veer, Pre, Pre + will work fine for voice on T-Mobile, but ONLY be able to use EDGE for data, limiting the speed to "2G" (the data will sent and recieved over the voice bands).

The important aspect of this is this, though: If you travel, you will be mostly in airports and hotels, where wifi is free; additionally, at home or your office, you likely already have a wifi network to hook into, so the only time you will need to access the carrier's data bands will be when you are out of reach of any wifi network, which, I have found to be pretty much a low % of time.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Any phones made for AT&T will have to be unlocked to use on another GSM carrier. In the US, the only other national GSM carrier is T-Mobile.

In order to access the T-Mobile 3G data speeds, the phone needs to have the proper 3G bands - for T-Mobile, those are 1700 and 2100; the At&T phones, unfortunately, use 850 and 1900.

So, once unlocked, the AT&T Pre 3, Veer, Pre, Pre + will work fine for voice on T-Mobile, but ONLY be able to use EDGE for data, limiting the speed to "2G" (the data will sent and recieved over the voice bands).

The important aspect of this is this, though: If you travel, you will be mostly in airports and hotels, where wifi is free; additionally, at home or your office, you likely already have a wifi network to hook into, so the only time you will need to access the carrier's data bands will be when you are out of reach of any wifi network, which, I have found to be pretty much a low % of time.

Most of Europe charges for wifi. In paris, Dublin and Amsterdam at least they charge for wifi usage.

And, I don't know about you, but for me when I travel I spend 1-2 hours at most in the airport only for layovers and waiting for my flight and only sleep and maybe an hour before and after sleep in the hotel.
    So if I get an ATT Pre3, the only way to unlock it right now is to fork over $49 to get the unlock code from DigitalUnlock or similar service?
    So if I just want to get a AT&T GoPhone Prepaid plan for my AT&T Pre 3, I don't have to worry about unlocking the phone, correct? I thought I would try it out for a couple of months with a new number before I consider replacing my fully functioning, rocking Pre 2 and my current cell number.

Also, can I use both phones on my same Palm Profile, or would I be setting up a separate profile for the Pre 3 if I try out the prepaid route? Would I still be able to switch back to my original Palm Profile when I switch out the Pre 2 down the road?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    So if I just want to get a AT&T GoPhone Prepaid plan for my AT&T Pre 3, I don't have to worry about unlocking the phone, correct? I thought I would try it out for a couple of months with a new number before I consider replacing my fully functioning, rocking Pre 2 and my current cell number.

Also, can I use both phones on my same Palm Profile, or would I be setting up a separate profile for the Pre 3 if I try out the prepaid route? Would I still be able to switch back to my original Palm Profile when I switch out the Pre 2 down the road?
    You can use the AT&T Pre 3 with a GoPhone plan, since it's on AT&T.

You can't use the same palm profile on two phones at the same time. I know you cannot switch back down to WebOS 1.4.5, etc. from 2.1 or 2.2.
    I am not sure if you can go back to 2.1 from 2.2 (Pre 3 back to Pre 2). If you search the forums you might find an answer...
    you can go from a 2.1 to 2.2 and back to 2.1 just fine as far as i know . but you can not go from 1.4.5 to 2.1 or 2.2 and go back to 1.4.5 afterward .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you can go from a 2.1 to 2.2 and back to 2.1 just fine as far as i know . but you can not go from 1.4.5 to 2.1 or 2.2 and go back to 1.4.5 afterward .
    Well you can like I did while I wait for my ATT Pre3 to come in but it doesnt have any of the changes I made to my profile since getting my Pre2. No apps downloaded but all the ones I paid for in the app catalog I do not have to pay for again.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast