Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes
    Yes you can totally do that, and it's very wise.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yes you can totally do that, and it's very wise.
    I have the same situation with my previous profile on a pre- on which I am running 2.1.
    Today I activated my Pre3 obtained from ebay, shipped to me unlocked.

Since I activated on AT&T, how can I tell my Pre3 was in fact unlocked. I would not want to find out it is not unlocked several month's from now when I try a different provider's sim.

Dale
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale46 View Post
    I have the same situation with my previous profile on a pre- on which I am running 2.1.
    Today I activated my Pre3 obtained from ebay, shipped to me unlocked.

Since I activated on AT&T, how can I tell my Pre3 was in fact unlocked. I would not want to find out it is not unlocked several month's from now when I try a different provider's sim.

Dale
    You can't, unless you put in a non-AT&T sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale46 View Post
    Are you sure it already unlocked? Most Pre3s are being sold with an unlock code, which means the unlocking still needs to be done. Just go to any T-Mobile store and ask to borrow a SIM for a few minutes. THis way you can unlock the phone with the code or simply check if it already is unlocked.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    AT&T Pre3 is having 2100 Mhz band support, right?, so if unlocked at&t Pre3 can be used in India where 2100Mhz band is used for 3g.
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    AT&T Pre3 is having 2100 Mhz band support, right?, so if unlocked at&t Pre3 can be used in India where 2100Mhz band is used for 3g.
    I believe so.
    Then why it is not talking to T-Mobile's 2100MHz and instead drops to 2G as some described???
    because t-mobile uses 1700mhz for 3g & 4g, along with the 2100mhz band. you need both for it to work.
    This does not sound credible. If there's a 3G band available, a phone would still prefer it to a 2G band. There must be some setting in T-Mobile that prevents it. Both bands are absolutely not needed at the same time; but phones do handovers from one to another - and this process can be directed by the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    on an unlocked AT&T pre3, does the 4g still work with t-mobile? or will it be only 3g?
    ATT Pre 3 is 850/1900/2100 triband UMTS so it will get faux-4g on att but it lacks 1700 AWS for tmobile so on tmobile it will be 2.5 G only (just like current iphones).
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I wish I had seen this thread before I signed up for t-mobile. I'm fairly ignorant on the GSM providers (have used Verizon and Sprint my entire life), and didn't know the Pre didn't support the t-mo bands. The speed has been slow.

At least I'm only on the monthly plan, so it's no big loss. And, truthfully, I may have gone with t-mobile anyway, because really i'm just trying out this phone to see if I want to use it as my primary, and the price is right. At least now I don't have to worry about going over my 100 mb cap, since I won't be losing any speed anyway.

It also now makes sense when I tried to check my email when on a phone call today that I couldn't.

Sounds like if I like this phone, my best bet for a reasonably priced 4G service is H2O
    Quote Originally Posted by Adidude View Post
    Most of Europe charges for wifi. In paris, Dublin and Amsterdam at least they charge for wifi usage.

And, I don't know about you, but for me when I travel I spend 1-2 hours at most in the airport only for layovers and waiting for my flight and only sleep and maybe an hour before and after sleep in the hotel.
    Well, Im in the US, and my travel is mostly domestic, however, hotels and airports usually have free wifi worldwide, no? (correct me if Im wrong).

When Im in a hotel, Im usually working until late in the evening and my Pre is on the touchstone next to me while I'm working away, to use as a speakerphone, and as a supplemental internet device from my laptop (this combo works well for me).

The most significant time for me is at home/in my office, where I have wifi connected to my network - even 4G can't compete with that.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    This does not sound credible. If there's a 3G band available, a phone would still prefer it to a 2G band. There must be some setting in T-Mobile that prevents it. Both bands are absolutely not needed at the same time; but phones do handovers from one to another - and this process can be directed by the network.
    T-Mobile uses the 1700 band for 3G.. not the 2100 band, even though they own it.

Don't ask me why - I couldnt tell you, but, thats the truth; I know, cause I've had an unlocked Pre+ with ATT bands and Ive never recieved 3G from T-Mobile, always Edge, while my daughter, who is an Android user and has T-Mobile branded phones, gets 3G and HSPA+ all the time here.

The Pre 3 2G radio, however, appears to be a very powerful one.. more bars, and faster speeds that the Pre + for me, here in NY.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    Thanks for the answers to my question. I need a little clarification. I don't think that I made it clear that I want to get a sim card, leave my Pre 3 locked to AT&T, and go pre-pay on a month-to-month basis for a couple of months. I would then activate the phone with a new Palm profile for the Pre 3, leaving my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint and my original Palm Pre 2 profile alive and running at the same time. Since my FrankenPre 2 has been running like a dream with virtually no problems for over six months, I really want to make sure the Pre 3 on AT&T will be an upgrade before I fully commit to it.

Then, if after a month or so running the Pre 3 with its own profile and I am convinced it is an upgrade, then I want to wipe the Pre 3 profile and re-activate it with my original Palm profile, replacing the Pre 2. Can I do this? Or am I stuck with whatever profile I originally activate my Pre 3 with?
    I believe this page will help: StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals
    Stay thirsty, my friends
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123