Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    You will only loose the faux g if you use it with a different carrier other than att.
    What does that mean?

To lose faux-g?

I want to unlock my ATT pre3 to potentially use it on tmobile (much better pricing). If I can get decent enough speeds on tmobile then I will keep. If the data speeds on tmobile are not too good then I will try ATT. I just don't want to lose any capabilities on the phone for unlocking and just end up using ATT.

Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by mh262 View Post
    I want to unlock my ATT pre3 to potentially use it on tmobile (much better pricing). If I can get decent enough speeds on tmobile then I will keep. If the data speeds on tmobile are not too good then I will try ATT. I just don't want to lose any capabilities on the phone for unlocking and just end up using ATT.
    On T-Mobile you will apparently get GSM 2g data ONLY. No UTMS/HSPA+ at all, because T-Mobile does 3g/4g on different frequencies than AT&T. I'm still REALLY torn about whether to try T-Mobile or not, as it is so much cheaper. $30 for a 1500 minute plan with unlimited text and effectively unlimited 2g data (the plan says 30mb, but that's 4g data - the fine print says once you get to the the 3g/4g data cap, you'll be limited to 2g for the rest of the month; no problem, 2g is all the pre3 can do anyway).
    Id never go to TM and not have at least 3G. Bad enough the internet being slow but no simultaneous voice. Cant do it. Don't forget AT&T has an unlimited mobile to any mobile plan at no additional cost when getting unlimited messaging.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    On T-Mobile you will apparently get GSM 2g data ONLY. No UTMS/HSPA+ at all, because T-Mobile does 3g/4g on different frequencies than AT&T. I'm still REALLY torn about whether to try T-Mobile or not, as it is so much cheaper. $30 for a 1500 minute plan with unlimited text and effectively unlimited 2g data (the plan says 30mb, but that's 4g data - the fine print says once you get to the the 3g/4g data cap, you'll be limited to 2g for the rest of the month; no problem, 2g is all the pre3 can do anyway).
    Yeah, that makes sense. From what I read you need and uplink frequency AND a downlink frequency. The ATT pre3 has the downlink frequency (2100) but not the uplink frequency (1700) to make 4g work.

What I am not getting from that post though is -
    -will some feature (faux-g) be forever lost to me when I unock the pre3 even if I choose to use it on ATT in the end b/c tmobile can't do 4g?
    According to everything else I've read, the claim that you will somehow lose 4g function by unlocking the phone is false. Or to put it another way, this thread is the one and only place I've read any such concern, and it wasn't even a user claiming it happened, merely someone repeating a warning from a seller.
    cliberti and cubeover like this.
    +1 people must be getting it mixed up. Its not the phone that loses 4G, its by unlocking it and taking it to TMobile that makes you lose 4G, and 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by mh262 View Post
    What does that mean?

To lose faux-g?

Any help?
    The AT&T Pre 3 is capable of taking full advantage of AT&T's "4G" network. We call it Faux G because it's fake 4G. It's still pretty fast, but most carriers hype up their networks to be faster than they really are.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to skype with it. Do I need to metadoctor to let my phone think it is the UK pre3?

I think I heard on the last Precentral podcast that to enable faux g you have to call ATT with the IMEI number and have them register it.

That's just what I heard on the podcast. I have no evidence at all if that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I think I heard on the last Precentral podcast that to enable faux g you have to call ATT with the IMEI number and have them register it.

That's just what I heard on the podcast. I have no evidence at all if that's true.
    Not necessary. I am using my 3G SIM and getting HSPA+

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Not necessary. I am using my 3G SIM and getting HSPA+

How did you do that? Is it a prepaid SIM? What kind of plan do you have?
    I am also having trouble using skype. It worked so well on my unlocked UK Pre 3. Even after "syncing" contacts and accounts, my skype contacts don't show up and after manually adding them they all appear offline.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    How did you do that? Is it a prepaid SIM? What kind of plan do you have?
    I am also having trouble using skype. It worked so well on my unlocked UK Pre 3. Even after "syncing" contacts and accounts, my skype contacts don't show up and after manually adding them they all appear offline.
    HSPA+ devices don't need the 4G SIM cards only the LTE phones will. I have Skype issues as well, as in where the hell is Skype?! I figured it out on my TouchPad but don't see how to on my Pre3.

I have a PDA Personal Unlimited plan with ATT and am happy to report that Freetether works over faux G I've clocked over 4mbps down. But freetether is a little odd on the Pre3 because it won't turn off without a restart.

HSPA+ devices don't need the 4G SIM cards only the LTE phones will. I have Skype issues as well, as in where the hell is Skype?! I figured it out on my TouchPad but don't see how to on my Pre3.

I have a PDA Personal Unlimited plan with ATT and am happy to report that Freetether works over faux G I've clocked over 4mbps down. But freetether is a little odd on the Pre3 because it won't turn off without a restart.

Did you download the skype app from the app catalog? Once you do that, skype is integrated into your contacts. You can go to a contact and add an IM account (the user's skype account). Then you will be able to IM or call or video chat with that person. Also, if you open Contacts and go to Prefs and Accounts, you can add the skype account there, too. But first download it from the App Catalog.

But after doing this, I still cannot see my contacts!!! On the UK Pre 3 it worked so well.

Try syncing accounts in the Contact prefs and accounts menu after adding skype and see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    Did you download the skype app from the app catalog? Once you do that, skype is integrated into your contacts. You can go to a contact and add an IM account (the user's skype account). Then you will be able to IM or call or video chat with that person. Also, if you open Contacts and go to Prefs and Accounts, you can add the skype account there, too. But first download it from the App Catalog.

But after doing this, I still cannot see my contacts!!! On the UK Pre 3 it worked so well.

Try syncing accounts in the Contact prefs and accounts menu after adding skype and see if that helps.
    OOOhhhhh download the app.... Ok I'll try now.

OOOhhhhh download the app.... Ok I'll try now.

Great! It should work. I removed and added the account back and it works For me now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adidude View Post
    I just purchased an AT&T Pre3 and want to know if anyone has unlocked one? It came with an unlock code, but the guy warned me if I unlock it that I may lose the faux-g. Any truth behind this? I want to unlock it for international travel, but won't if I will lose the faster speeds domestically. i will just travel with my trusty travel phone if this is the case.

I have an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 and can confirm that I am still receiving 4G speeds (and H+ notification) on my phone using an AT&T sim card.

As others said if you use another carrier you'll be subject to their bandwidth frequencies/corresponding data speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    So if I just want to get a AT&T GoPhone Prepaid plan for my AT&T Pre 3, I don't have to worry about unlocking the phone, correct? I thought I would try it out for a couple of months with a new number before I consider replacing my fully functioning, rocking Pre 2 and my current cell number.
    Yes you can use it as a GoPhone without having it unlocked. Keep in mind though you will max out at 3G (though people are reporting very fast 3G) You won't get 4G (H+) on the GoPhone plans as provisioning for 4G phones for GoPhones does not yet exist on AT&T's systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    Also, can I use both phones on my same Palm Profile, or would I be setting up a separate profile for the Pre 3 if I try out the prepaid route? Would I still be able to switch back to my original Palm Profile when I switch out the Pre 2 down the road?
    Yes as others have mentioned you should be fine going from 2.1 (Pre 2) to 2.2 (Pre 3). Keep in mind though if you want to use both phones at the same time (which is what I gather your plan is), only one can be activated on your Palm Profile at the same time. You can't have two phones activated with the same Palm Profile at the same time. So it might become tricky for you if this is your plan.

If you are still keeping the Pre 2 active I suggest creating a new Palm Profile for the Pre 3. That way your original Palm Profile is kept with the phone you KNOW you like. When you decide if you like the Pre 3 and want to replace your Pre 2 with it just reset with your original Palm Profile and everything will transfer over just fine. At this point your original Palm Profile will deregister from the Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    how can I tell if my at&t pre3 is locked or unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by RLangerman View Post
    how can I tell if my at&t pre3 is locked or unlocked?
    The only way I know is to insert another carrier's sim card which in the US would need to be T-Mobile. At that point the phone will either tell you or not. If you see a T-Mobile alpha tag at the top then you should be good.
    Thanks for the answers to my question. I need a little clarification. I don't think that I made it clear that I want to get a sim card, leave my Pre 3 locked to AT&T, and go pre-pay on a month-to-month basis for a couple of months. I would then activate the phone with a new Palm profile for the Pre 3, leaving my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint and my original Palm Pre 2 profile alive and running at the same time. Since my FrankenPre 2 has been running like a dream with virtually no problems for over six months, I really want to make sure the Pre 3 on AT&T will be an upgrade before I fully commit to it.

Then, if after a month or so running the Pre 3 with its own profile and I am convinced it is an upgrade, then I want to wipe the Pre 3 profile and re-activate it with my original Palm profile, replacing the Pre 2. Can I do this? Or am I stuck with whatever profile I originally activate my Pre 3 with?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast