Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By The Bard
  • 3 Post By MudShark22
  • 1 Post By bevcraw
  1.    #1  
    ATTENTION: AT&T Pre3 Owners
    If you want to be safe, and actually care about the purchase of your rare AT&T Pre3 4G, perform a webOS Pre3 Impersonation as follows here:
    Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals

This will ensure that if anything were to ever happen to your Pre3, you can flash a webOS doctor over your device and fully restore it.

As you already know by now, the AT&T Pre3 is and will not be supported by anyone/any company in the US since it was never intended for release. There will be no official customer support if you find yourself in need. The best thing to do right now is to make your Pre3 act like an EU pre3 so that you’ll always be safe and in the clear.

1. Create a modified webOS Doctor and flash it onto your device
    2. Complete the initial setup
    3. Now, flash the official (Unmodified) EU webOS Doctor over your Pre3.
    4. Everything should be working fine now.

I learned the hard way, but I want to share my thoughts before someone else suffers like I did.

** At this time, a modified webOS doctor for the Pre3 is universal for all other Pre3 users, however its redistribution is illegal and breaks License. That means, I cannot share my Doctor with Bob even though my Doctor will work on his device as well and can restore it.

Thank you for everyone who helped me with my frustration.
    There is a thread that made just to discuss this matter.

About illegal redistribution, can we just ignore it? HP ditch WebOS and anger WebOS users more then anything, why we still care about that?

We & Palm already betrayed by HP, and we will do anything to revive it.

Buying AT&T Pre 3 already break the law, so why we bother and afraid to break the law for just to help people doctoring their AT&T Pre 3 that NOT suppose to be killed like this!
    c_legaspi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post

About illegal redistribution, can we just ignore it? HP ditch WebOS and anger WebOS users more then anything, why we still care about that?

Buying AT&T Pre 3 already break the law, so why we bother and afraid to break the law for just to help people doctoring their AT&T Pre 3 that NOT suppose to be killed like this!
    Yes...the OP linked to the definitive guide on how to do that.

Re: illegal distribution
    If you want to ignore it; go right ahead. Just don't do it on precentral.
    Why bother to be "better than" if its just easier to stoop to the lower level? When did personal integrity become something that can be switched off because a CEO made a lousy business decision?
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Just take the time to do it yourself. It's not that hard as long as you can follow directions. Google is your friend if you don't understand something along the way. You might learn something.
    can this be used to unlock the ATT Pre3?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    can this be used to unlock the ATT Pre3?
    No. Unlocking has nothing to do with the doctor.

Why do you believe that buying an AT&T Pre 3 is breaking a law? From what we have seen elsewhere in the forums, HP sold these Pre 3s to its own employees who in turn are selling them through eBay and other sources. I can only assume that they were sold in this way to avoid having to provide support for them.

And, no, we will not be overlooking illegal distribution of software in the forums.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.

The only way it can make selling AT&T Pre 3 illegal is IF the employees signed paperwork that the devices cannot be resold. I'm sure that doesn't exist, and even then, it's the person that signed the paperwork that gets in trouble, not the secondary buyer.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Tell me this , why would palm or HP let their emplyees but 5 or 6 or 10 or 20 of these devices and then tell them they cant sell them ? that makes no sense . if they expected they might sell them online and didnt want them to, then they would have limited them to 1 or 2 devices each i believe . Just sayin !!
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I totally agree with Shadavis08's point. This seems to be a bit of an employee bonus program!
    Guys.. It's OK if you don't agree to make 'cooked' firmware for AT&T Pre 3. I just give a consideration due lots of AT&T Pre 3 user come here and have problem with it. I don't use AT&T Pre 3 anyway. I use Pre 3 QWERTZ German version.

I'm windows users.. I ever tried to meta-doctor. To start the edit progress it need quite complex steps and need lots of time to install Virtual Machine then install Ubuntu. Lots of step that need to be done before edit. It is quite headache especially that we need much time to get make cooked rom. If only I have spare PC that already run Ubuntu or I have MacBook, I'm sure I can do meta-doctor. Because I can go directly to step where I edit the rom without bother install Virtual Machine & Ubuntu first.

Oh yes.. talking about legal or illegal redistribution of firmware. I really lack of that knowledge.
    I have question, how about XDA-Developers that is a well-known forum for "cooked" firmware for Windows & Android? Android is open source.. but how about Windows? is it legal to customized Windows firmware?
    Performing the impersonation is no longer necessary. The att doctor is in!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by marysm View Post
    I totally agree with Shadavis08's point. This seems to be a bit of an employee bonus program!

Exactly. Give em a bonus , then a few weeks later hand them their pink slips.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.