Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is the Pre 3 worth leaving Verizon for? Thoughts everyone.
    why not buy a 700 dollar pre-3 for verizon on ebay
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    laoh likes this.
    You want a reliable phone....nope, not worth it.
    You want a nice smartphone with a slider keyboard and a ton of bugs, but you are willing to live with that, then yes.
    Its a nice phone with a wonderful OS that is far from finished. There are so many bugs that the first time you miss an alarm because from several versions back they were not able to fix it, yeh, then youd know that youd better used another phone.
    Its so sad how little HP did to fix all the known things, I could cry.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    only you can answer that i guess. i have a pre 3 and i love it. carrier loyalty means nothing to me (because i'm not in the US). so i'd say go for it. but only you can decide if it's "worth it".

and yes, it is buggy, but not a whole lot more buggy than 2.x was on Pre+. the alarm issue mentioned above is there, but i've had that on the Pre+ since upgrading to 2.x.
    Everyone has an opinion and pfilintsone is certainly entitled to his or hers, but IMO and for my needs I would leave VZW for it. I have experienced no bugs (I don't use the alarms and thus can't comment) however here is what I think is great:

Screen size and resolution

Processor speed

keyboard size and feel (I can type far faster on this then on my Touchpad) and youy can't beat a physical qwerty keyboard.

4G or Faux G as it is called is amazing. I know all the tech heads will tell you that it needs to be LTE to be "4G" and in fairness they are probably correct, but if you can get download speeds of 1.7 Mbs on Faux G then unless you are tethering your phone for online gaming I can't imagine a scenario where this is not adequate. As a matter of fact the download speeds on this phone using 4G exceed the speeds I have ever been able to receive on any other phone using my 10 Mbs wifi at home.

Voice quality is unreall and so is signal strength. Sometimes we forget these are phones and this one does is right.

WebOS is great too!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Everyone has an opinion and pfilintsone is certainly entitled to his or hers, but IMO and for my needs I would leave VZW for it. I have experienced no bugs (I don't use the alarms and thus can't comment) however here is what I think is great:

Screen size and resolution

Processor speed

keyboard size and feel (I can type far faster on this then on my Touchpad) and youy can't beat a physical qwerty keyboard.

4G or Faux G as it is called is amazing. I know all the tech heads will tell you that it needs to be LTE to be "4G" and in fairness they are probably correct, but if you can get download speeds of 1.7 Mbs on Faux G then unless you are tethering your phone for online gaming I can't imagine a scenario where this is not adequate. As a matter of fact the download speeds on this phone using 4G exceed the speeds I have ever been able to receive on any other phone using my 10 Mbs wifi at home.

Voice quality is unreall and so is signal strength. Sometimes we forget these are phones and this one does is right.

WebOS is great too!
    There is no 4G on verizon pre-3, only on ATT pre-3, Verizon doesnot have HSPA+, it has CDMA.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    There is no 4G on verizon pre-3, only on ATT pre-3, Verizon doesnot have HSPA+, it has CDMA.
    OP's post asked if it was worth leaving Verizon so I assumed since he was using a US carrier that his other option would be AT&T--obviously he will need to go with ATT if he wants 4G.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Well, the question is, is this device worth leaving one carrier for another. Pricing and all carrier related things aside, I would say no. Not as long as you are a hard core Pre fan.
    You are right, ALL issues that still are, were there with the Pre - and Pre + aswell, but this does not make it better. It makes it worse as best. We are talking about very good hardware (and yes, the CPU alone is one of the best you can get) that underperforms due to the lack of time invested into building a decent OS.

Honestly, everyone with a sane mind must say that iOS and even Android are, from the point of a mature OS, years ahead of WebOS. Not concerning funcionality, just looking at the current state of the Software. This means, that a user buys a phone and does not need to think about or care about the stability of software.
    I mean, how friggin hard can it be do fix an Alarm? The most simple and probably important thing for many people using a phone? Not to mention a ton of other issues: Contacts sometimes not being displayed properly, phone shows inconsistency on the dial pad, sometimes leaving the screen black, problems with syncing emails etc.
    Do not get me wrong, I REALLY like WebOS, but you have to be fair and tell people asking, the truth.
    So yes, if you are looking for something else with quite a list of bugs who "might" NOT be fixed any time soon...if ever, then go ahead and switch your carrier for the best of using a Pre!
    But, if you are looking for a mature OS without bugs or at least with a decent Software Support...then NO, under no circumstance switch a Carrier for this phone.

All in all, I do still think that WebOS is worth the hassle for me....but I can for sure not talk for anyone else. I would not recommend this device for a "blank carpet" phone user looking for a decent Smartphone.
    I'd buy a $700 Verizon Pre 3....if you know where to find one, message me.
    If you're asking the question then no. If you've done your research, and you are aware of all of the shortcomings of the phone and you're still willing to get the phone anyway because you need that sweet WebOS action, then yes, absolutely.

But as many have said before, if there's a Verizon Pre 3 out there and you've done your research, and you realize it's a dead OS with very little support, and you're willing to spend the money, then absofrigginlutely. But that's a lot of ifs.
    I'm on a sprint pre. Yes the original. I'm a day 1 owner. Are these bugs only on pre3 cause I have had no problems at all with webos?
  12.    #12  
    Thank you all. I'm a pre+ owner, I love the OS even though I know it has it's issues. My choices right now are: pre2 on Verizon, pre3 on AT&T, or Android on Verizon. Thanks to all your imput, I'm am leaning towards a pre2 off contract on Verizon and see what happens in the coming year.
    if you are also on an unlimited data plan on Verizon, when you go to AT&T you will have the new tiered data plans. If that is an important consideration to you.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Parenti@msn.com View Post
    Thank you all. I'm a pre+ owner, I love the OS even though I know it has it's issues. My choices right now are: pre2 on Verizon, pre3 on AT&T, or Android on Verizon. Thanks to all your imput, I'm am leaning towards a pre2 off contract on Verizon and see what happens in the coming year.
    Former Pre+ user here that has been using a Droid 3 since it came out. I would suggest having a good look at it if you want to find a relavent handset on the VZW network with a good keyboard.

I have no desire for a Pre3 to come out now. If you can handle a bit of change, you may find it to be a good option.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Parenti@msn.com View Post
    Is the Pre 3 worth leaving Verizon for? Thoughts everyone.
    I've been pondering that very question myself. It doesn't look like there will be very many Verizon Pre3's available (in fact I've never personally seen one available, all I've seen is a link or two to an already completed sale), and those few seem to command $700 which is way out of my price range.

I'm torn between 4 basic choices:

1. Just stay with my Pre+. It's been really frustrating to use recently though, and the gps almost never works.

2. Get a Pre2. torn about getting an off-contract one on ebay for ~$200, or renewing my contract for another 2 years and getting the phone essentially for free (phone costs $50, have to pay CA sales tax on $400 so that's about $35, then they have a $100 gift-card offer if I trade in an old phone (doesn't have to be my Pre+ either). still, the Pre2 doesn't look like enough of a difference to be worth giving up my free mobile hot-spot and have to pay more for a bigger data plan (in order to use freetether).

3. Get a Pre3 and leave Verizon. That gets really complicated though, since I'm on a family-share plan with my wife and our contract goes to april of next year, and I absolutely can not change phone numbers. I could probably figure something out though.

4. Just give up on webOS and get an android or (gasp) iPhone 4. Meg being the new CEO is already making me feel like just throwing in the towel (as long as Leo was CEO, there was hope that he'd get fired and the new CEO would change things... now that they've done the first part, but the new CEO has said nothing will change, there's no more reason to hope).

Obviously 4 is an option any time, unless I sign a new 2-year contract to get a Pre2 for free... then I'm rather stuck with it.
    by the also, I've not yet seen any confirmation that Verizon really will activate a black-market Pre3. no one who's gotten one has reported yet that I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    why not buy a 700 dollar pre-3 for verizon on ebay
    Has anyone even verified if Verizon will activate those phones on their network yet?
    the question I ask is "is the Pre3 worth putting up with AT&T?"

as much as this thing impresses me, I'm staying with vzw and my Pre2.

if I didn't have a Pre2, I might be more open to at&t.
    As soon as Verizon started selling the iphone 4 all my friends with iphones left at&t and went to Verizon, that's how much they were fed up with at&t celllular service. All day yesterday at&t cellular was down here in LA. As much as I want a Pre 3 I personally would not switch to at&t. BTW, my alarm has not once failed in the 28 months that I have owned my Pre and I use it almost every day.
    In a word, yes. I'm very impressed with the Pre3 (QWERTY/8GB/UK) that I just got today. I own a Pre 2 and a Veer as well, and, frankly, they got it right just in time to have HP close the doors on this handset. I also own an iPhone 4 for work, and prefer to use the Pre 3. About the only thing I miss is not having LogMeIn available for it.

Root
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast