1.    #1  
    Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here. I was using my UK Pre3 this morning (my first Palm/HP phone though I have a TP) when suddenly it seemingly crashed and all I was left with was the HP boot logo. At the time I didn't know of any way to restart the phone other than pulling the battery which is what I ended up doing (I've since discovered how to do soft and hard resets), but it ended up back on the HP logo again.

I didn't have any time to mess with it at the time so had to leave it until this evening. All that time it stayed on the boot logo, occasionally rebooting but always coming back to it until eventually the battery went dead.

After charging it for a bit tonight I got to the point where the phone would fully boot but I only had to carry out one or two actions and the screen would freeze, fade slowly to back, and then the phone rebooted and it was back to square one. At one stage it stayed alive long enough to download and install an update to the HP Maps app but as soon as I tried launching it, it did the whole freeze-fade-restart thing.

I ended up using the doctor to start over, but the first time it booted up afterwards it restarted itself as before and ever since I've only been able to get as far as the sign in screen - as soon as I hit "Sign-in" it either does the F-F-R thing immediately or shows the spinning loading icon for a while and then does it.

Given that the doctor hasn't solved the problem (isn't that the supposed to be the tool of last resort?) it would therefore seem to me that I have a hardware fault, but I have no idea where the fault might lie. As it only seems to freeze when I do something I wonder if it might be the CPU but that's a pure guess.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to other things I might try, or any thoughts as to what the problem may be? My fear is that it's going to be something significant that I can't get repaired or replaced due to the whole HP/webOS fiasco that means there's hardly any hardware out there (I got this from e2save where they're already out of stock).
    Last edited by benoire; 09/25/2011 at 02:58 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just to add to that, I can seemingly leave the phone on the sign-in screen for as long as I like and it still responds, it only freezes once I click the button. The only exception is one reboot where the screen froze and faded half way through the transition from the boot logo to the sign-in screen (ie the frozen screen showed both the boot logo and the sign-in form at the same time!)
  3.    #3  
    Sorry two more things - it takes an inordinately long time to actually reach the sign-in screen after restarting, with the logo showing statically for quite a while before starting to "throb". I don't know if this is normal?

The other thing I forgot to mention is that when the screen freezes, it often gets "garbled" in the process - large chunks will disappear (ie you get big black rectangles), and sometimes there'll be a dotted line. So I suppose it could be a display issue but I wouldn't expect that to trigger a restart of its own accord.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Oh, benoire. Sorry to hear it! Maybe try doctoring again? Good luck!!
    This may sound strange, but it could be an issue with the SIM card. I had that recently on an iphone at work. The crashed all the time and was slow when it worked. A bit of paper pushing the SIM tighter to the contacts helped a bit. But in the end we had to replace the sim card. So what I am trying to say, you should try a different sim.
    try using a new profile after doctoring
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I have tried re-doctoring, creating a new profile rather than signing into my existing one, and using a different SIM, all to no avail sadly.

The only other thing I can think of to try is an alternative battery - my wife has a Pre3 of her own on its way so I might try its battery in my phone in case it's that at fault. No idea how likely that is to be the case, but worth a shot I guess.

Any other suggestions welcome - I'm wondering if there's any kind of diagnostic tools out there? Also, where's the best place to raise this with HP?
    try re downloading a new doctor as the one you have may be corrupted
    Quote Originally Posted by benoire View Post
    Just to add to that, I can seemingly leave the phone on the sign-in screen for as long as I like and it still responds, it only freezes once I click the button. The only exception is one reboot where the screen froze and faded half way through the transition from the boot logo to the sign-in screen (ie the frozen screen showed both the boot logo and the sign-in form at the same time!)
    i would see if you can get it to start up and before you do anything else do a complete erase , you go into device info app and its in there . then doctor the phone again and see what happens . it almost sounds like the processor might be shoot though . but i dont know that for sure . also know that HP should replace or repair with little issue.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ...also know that HP should replace or repair with little issue.
    The OP is lucky he has a UK version. The new AT&T versions (like the one I am waiting to arrive) are coming with zero support from both AT&T and HP.
    While I still haven't got hold of my device, I remember seeing in the emulator, a few hardware tests that you can run from within the Device Info App. Launch the app and check the menu.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    While I still haven't got hold of my device, I remember seeing in the emulator, a few hardware tests that you can run from within the Device Info App. Launch the app and check the menu.
    Useful to know, thanks, but unfortunately unsuitable in this situation as I can't get the thing to boot up - any diagnostics would need to be run from a PC really.

Fortunately having spoken to e2save, there's still plenty of stock left and I've got a replacement allocated which should be with me later in the week. Phew!
    So sorry to hear. I guess the storys about Palm hardware being flimsy are true.

BUT look at it from the bright side. Considering how rare these are, you could probably get a nice 50-100 bucks for it. Plenty of people would like to have one for spares. The screen alone is pretty hard to find, for example.
    (3.7 inch 800*480 screens are cheap and easy to find, but not 3.58 inch screens)
    no idea of this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by benoire View Post
    Useful to know, thanks, but unfortunately unsuitable in this situation as I can't get the thing to boot up - any diagnostics would need to be run from a PC really.

Fortunately having spoken to e2save, there's still plenty of stock left and I've got a replacement allocated which should be with me later in the week. Phew!
    So did you get a replacement and all set now?