webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > ATT Pre3 continuous boot loop
ATT Pre3 continuous boot loop
Like Tree1Likes

Old 09/25/2011, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just installed preware. Then I rebooted the phone. Then I went onto installing all desired patches WITHOUT performing a reset between each one.
I rebooted my phone and it is now in a continuous boot loop gong from the black HP logo to the "think possible" and then logo, think possible, etc you get the point.

What do i do now?

pre3 serial no. are not valid online so i dont know which webos doctor to download....
There is only 1 webos doctor for pre3 here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions -- and that one do not work as it cannot recognize my att pre3

someone helpp.. no one seems to have this problem like me.

BTW, is there a conbinational-hardreset button we can press? Like on HTC phones, a hardreset consists of Vol.Down+Powerbutton.

Last edited by dumplinknet; 09/25/2011 at 03:12 AM.
dumplinknet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumplinknet View Post
I just installed preware. Then I rebooted the phone. Then I went onto installing all desired patches WITHOUT performing a reset between each one.
I rebooted my phone and it is now in a continuous boot loop gong from the black HP logo to the "think possible" and then logo, think possible, etc you get the point.

What do i do now?

pre3 serial no. are not valid online so i dont know which webos doctor to download....
There is only 1 webos doctor for pre3 here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions -- and that one do not work as it cannot recognize my att pre3

someone helpp.. no one seems to have this problem like me.

BTW, is there a conbinational-hardreset button we can press? Like on HTC phones, a hardreset consists of Vol.Down+Powerbutton.
Try downloading the UK Pre 3 webOSdoctor from elsewhere that isn't palm.com. Hard reset: hold power button and flick mute switch three times back and forth. Recovery mode: option+sym+Are held down simultabeously.
zachthemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachthemaster View Post
Try downloading the UK Pre 3 webOSdoctor from elsewhere that isn't palm.com. Hard reset: hold power button and flick mute switch three times back and forth. Recovery mode: option+sym+Are held down simultabeously.
That is not hardreset. It is soft reset.

I cannot find an appropriate webos doctor for and ATT pre3.

Anyone else?
Old 09/25/2011, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
That is not hardreset. It is soft reset.

I cannot find an appropriate webos doctor for and ATT pre3.

Anyone else?
Sorry man just trying to help. That's considered a hard reset. Like holding the iPhone lock and home button for 10 seconds.

You won't find a legit doctor because the serial numbers aren't valid. Maybe someone else can help you. Sorry.
zachthemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals I think this is where your problem is. If you follow the directions, you should still be able to recover. let us know how it turns out.
heyguydaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyguydaq View Post
Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals I think this is where your problem is. If you follow the directions, you should still be able to recover. let us know how it turns out.
this doesnt help- especially if i can't get back into the phone.
the phone cycles from the att "think possible" and the black HP logo.
Old 09/25/2011, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
this doesnt help- especially if i can't get back into the phone.
the phone cycles from the att "think possible" and the black HP logo.
Hold power button and Vol Up I think to get into recovery mode but you can turn off the Pre3 after that and see if it works.
Old 09/28/2011, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

just try above .
sunsealeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem. The only difference is that this is happening to me between logging into my Palm Profile and downloading all my old data. It'll get to the home screen every once in a while, but then just starts booting all over again.

I downloaded the doctor, but it can't see my phone (because it's constantly rebooting). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I finally got the doctor running. This has been the most trouble I've had with a WebOS device (and that includes a FrankenPre).

Update 2: Doctor finished and phone booted back up. It had me sign in and went into the same cyclic rebooting described above in the same manner I had before. Is this some crazy random behavior that I can't doctor my why out? Should I preserve my phone in its current state for further study?

-Ghostbusters

Last edited by oobernuber; 09/30/2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Update (x2)
oobernuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 02:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

I'm at the end of my rope, and totally out of ideas of how to fix this problem, so I'm taking it to the forum. I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I did a search and found a similar thread, but I tried all the fixes listed there, and the OP didn't post what ended up working for them. So here goes.

I have 2 ATT Pre3's. I'm actually having the same problem on both, which makes me believe that I'm doing something wrong or that there is a fix that I'm missing. I also just set up my ATT service. My SIM card works on my HTC Surround, and everything works fine (except that it doesn't have webOS).

When I tried to fire up the first Pre3, I was in an area with really crappy reception. The Pre3 was trying to restore my profile, but was painfully slow. I just randomly did a back gesture, and it freaked out. Once it came to, it kept rebooting itself. It does the initial HP pulsating logo, then transitions to the ATT 'Rethink Possible' screen briefly before flipping back to the initial HP logo. Randomly, it'll boot all the way, but if I touch the screen, it stutters and goes back into the reboot cycle.

I first tried soft and then hard resets, and battery pulls and it wouldn't break the reboot cycle. I then took it to the doctor (which was a royal pain since it was constantly rebooting). I was able to run the doctor once, but once I got through the profile restore, it just goes into the same thing. I've also let the battery run down then recharged, but it just immediately going into the reboot cycle.

The crazy part was when I cracked open the second Pre3, the same thing was happening. I really have no idea what I could be doing that would cause this to happen.

Summary:
Pre3 is constantly rebooting on the 'Rethinking Possible' screen
Battery pulls and doctoring does NOT change the behavior
Happened on 2 different Pre3s (both are ATT versions)

-Ghostbusters
Old 10/01/2011, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
Hold power button and Vol Up I think to get into recovery mode but you can turn off the Pre3 after that and see if it works.
Soorma,

I'm having the same problem, except it's on TWO different Pre3's. Crazy!

I can't doctor, hard reset, or battery pull my way out of this issue because it'll just go right back into the boot loop.

Any ideas?

-Ghostbusters
Old 10/01/2011, 04:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobernuber View Post
Soorma,

I'm having the same problem, except it's on TWO different Pre3's. Crazy!

I can't doctor, hard reset, or battery pull my way out of this issue because it'll just go right back into the boot loop.

Any ideas?
Oobernuber, I will try to get more info in the morning (I was filling out CSU applications haha) but it seems to me that Palm/HP only allow one phone per profile. I think one of the other has to get wiped out and that might be what is happening.

Don't worry, we'll try to figure this out tomorrow (if not me, then a whole lot of other people are good at this!)
Old 10/01/2011, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

try making a new profile
c_legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

You need two different profiles..1 for each phone; you know that, right?

The only way out of it is to Doctor them both, using the directions on the HP site for "Frozen" devices.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

Best of luck!!!

LCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ok, thanks for the tip. I take it I'll have to Save/Restore my way back to my old data/apps?

I'll give the new profile a try. I'm going from a Pre- (1.4.5) to the Pre3. Also, it's not my intention to have the two Pre3s running at the same time, nor have I done that. I tried to set up the first one, and I got this problem. So I punted on the first one and tried to set up my backup Pre3, and got the same problem.

For my own curiosity, why would a new profile solve my problems?

-Ghostbusters
Old 10/01/2011, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I'm also running a touchpad on the same profile. Is that a problem?

-Ghostbusters
Old 10/01/2011, 11:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the help.

Just to clarify, I'm only trying to get one phone on my profile (and working, of course). As of now, there is only one phone on my profile. When I had the problem with the first one, I pulled the battery, contacted the seller, and moved to the second one. I haven't powered on the first one yet.

Also, I have a Touchpad on my profile. Does this matter at all?

-Ghostbusters

Last edited by oobernuber; 10/01/2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Mention Touchpad
Old 10/01/2011, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobernuber View Post
Oh yeah, I'm also running a touchpad on the same profile. Is that a problem?
No. The Touchpad and Pre are designed to work together, so they should be fine.

You're not, however, meant to have 2 Pres on the same profile, due to the app piracy laws n' **** (i.e. 2 for 1)

Last resort:
If all else fails, and you know you've tried absolutely everything, do these things IN ORDER. (if the 1st fails, go to the next. if it doesn't, well... you know, don't )
- do a backup > perform a hard reset > restore
- do a backup > perform a hard reset > WAIT until restore, see if the restoring is the problem > restore
- perform a hard reset
andyt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hey Andy, thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, I've either already tried or the Pre won't let me get there. I can't do a backup since the Pre3 doesn't boot into cardview. I've done a couple hard resets, to no avail.

I checked my profile, and I only have 1 Pre3 on there. I'm wondering if I should remove it, doctor one of my phones, and then start the process over.

-Ghostbusters
Old 10/01/2011, 12:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Can a moderator merge the two threads I have going on this issue? I created a new one to get help, and posted in the other one to see if the OP in that thread was able to fix a similar issue. Now it's just troubleshooting my problem in two different threads.

-Ghostbusters

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0