Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just ordered a Pre 3 for AT&T US.

I was wondering if somebody could give a concise and definitive explanation of how one could use the phone with AT&T's prepaid service (GoPhone?).

I have looked through all of the threads about it and they are way too confusing.

Thanks!
    I dont understand what you are asking... I have a gophone sim and works fine in my unlocked pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
    I just ordered a Pre 3 for AT&T US.

I was wondering if somebody could give a concise and definitive explanation of how one could use the phone with AT&T's prepaid service (GoPhone?).

I have looked through all of the threads about it and they are way too confusing.

Thanks!
    Hi, Mekkel.
    I ordered (2) AT&T Veers and was able to set them up on PrePaid.

Probably the best way to go is to purchase an AT&T GoPhone SIM for the amount of voice minutes you will need each month. AT&T has just launched a $50 UNLIMITED Talk, Text & Web that's also a pretty good plan.

But, with AT&T - there is a caught that you should know about.

Any smartphone requires a data plan in addition to the monthly plan.
    The available plans are "$5 for 10 MB, the $15 for 100 MB and the $25 for 500 MB".

Here's the press release:

AT&T Customers Can Save More Than 20% With No Long-term Commitment Starting June 26

Dallas, Texas, June 21, 2011

Key Facts
    •Consumers can sign up for an unlimited talk, text and web nationwide GoPhone® plan for $50 per month starting on June 26 with AT&T* — a savings of more than 20%.
    •Plan includes unlimited text and instant messaging to Mexico, Canada and 100 additional countries.
    •Customers can apply this new GoPhone plan to quick messaging phones such the Pantech P7040p, available for purchase on the same day for $59.99.
    •Available to new and existing GoPhone customers with a feature phone.

Customer Benefits

AT&T GoPhone customers can now take advantage of a new unlimited talk, text and web nationwide plan for $50 per month. Unlimited text and instant messaging to Mexico, Canada and 100 other countries are also included at no additional cost.

GoPhone service can be purchased at AT&T company-owned retail stores, online at att.com/gophone and thousands of authorized retailers nationwide. Smartphone customers can choose unlimited talk and text for $50 and select one of three data package options from $5 to $25.

So, in short - as long as you register a USA palm profile (just using an existing one if you have and existing PRE or Pixi), a new PrePaid GOPhone Sim will work fine.

But, please be careful in picking your plan and remembering -
    " An extra data plan is required because the Pre 3 is a smartphone. "

Also, if the length of the term of prepaid service expires without you refilling with more minutes. The sim will also expire and you will need to purchase a new sim and possibly loose your phone number.

Hope this helps
    I was able to activate a Veer on GoPhone within a 1-time 10 MB of data allocation, then switch to WiFi-only with a voice prepaid plan but it was a close thing. Might need to purchase more data than that to be sure. {Jonathan}
    What I suggest is that you go in to an AT&T location and they will walk you through the Go phone process.

That's what I did. The catch is that they will have no clue about how to initially set up a Pre phone. That's the problem I had. I tried to explain to a particularly cocky sales rep that I had to enter my palm profile before the phone would initiate. It took a while, but we got it going.

Go to the store, they'll take you through the process step by step.
    go to the att store and buy a sim with the $50 unlimited plan. leave your phone in the car. just tell the att rep you have a phone already. go to your car and pop the sim in and all should be good. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    go to the att store and buy a sim with the $50 unlimited plan. leave your phone in the car. just tell the att rep you have a phone already. go to your car and pop the sim in and all should be good. :-)
    Exactly this way you can get unlimited everything. I can confirm though that the Pre 3 cannot get HSPA+ (4G) with Gophone. They simply don't have the provisioning for 4G in their system.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Exactly this way you can get unlimited everything. I can confirm though that the Pre 3 cannot get HSPA+ (4G) with Gophone. They simply don't have the provisioning for 4G in their system.
    Can you run a speedtest on speedtest.net and let us know what you are getting without HSPA?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Does that $50 plan really work - I think they can tell especially if you are using GBs of data each month
    Pre 3 QWERTY, The Veer, GSM Pre 2 and GSM Pixi Plus - 64GB White TouchPad and 32GB Black TouchPad
    speed test on my veer with the prepaid is 2+ to 5+ download (and thats with the 3g showing on my veer). i dont think it matter whether you are showing 3g or H+ on the phone, it seems as long as your phone supports 4g, you will get the 4g speed on downloads (my sim card is a 3g sim).

i have the pay as you go and just buy data when i need to. i dont think with the pay as you go, it doesnt matter if you have a dumb phone or smart phone.
  11.    #11  
    Can someone confirm 100% that you can use the $50 GoPhone unlimited plan with the Pre3?
    yes, it works. But you will not get super fast speeds. Still fine for email, etc.
    I went into an AT&T store and just signed up for the 2 GB + 450 mins plan for $65 (plus 22% off from my employer) on a month-to-month basis. Roughly the same cost but I get full-speed (HSPA+) and such. *shrug*
  14.    #14  
    Is GoPhone 3g or EDGE?
  15.    #15  
    I mean, does using a GoPhone sim allow you to use 3G or only EDGE?

If you buy the $50 AT&T GoPhone plan with the sim, stick it in the Pre3, do you still have to buy the extra data plan with it, or can you use the plans included data (even though they say you cannot use a smartphone)?
    Quote Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
    I mean, does using a GoPhone sim allow you to use 3G or only EDGE?

If you buy the $50 AT&T GoPhone plan with the sim, stick it in the Pre3, do you still have to buy the extra data plan with it, or can you use the plans included data (even though they say you cannot use a smartphone)?
    GoPhone SIMs support 3G.
    so what's your download speeds now?

Quote Originally Posted by seretogis View Post
    I went into an AT&T store and just signed up for the 2 GB + 450 mins plan for $65 (plus 22% off from my employer) on a month-to-month basis. Roughly the same cost but I get full-speed (HSPA+) and such. *shrug*
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seretogis View Post
    So you did NOT sign a 2 year contract on the 450min plan and got a discount? Where is this store?
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    So you did NOT sign a 2 year contract on the 450min plan and got a discount? Where is this store?
    If you already have a phone you don't have to sign a 2 year contract. You can cancel the service at any time. The discount he is referring to is a discount offered by his employer.
    this didn't work for me. I got a go phone sim card and data doesn't work on my att pre3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast