Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By zachthemaster
  • 1 Post By pavvento
  1.    #1  
    So I just got a Pre3. It's the ATT 4G version. Now what?
    I already did some reading on this forum and none seems to be helpful on what next.
    Are there any performance tweaks? Hacks? Overclocking? Preware? Patches?

I understand that since this phone has not been release in the US, there probably, and might never will),have any development going on for it.

What have you guys installed to improve performance? Are there any MUST HAVE apps?

You help would be awesome!
    kind of been thinking the same thing. i also got a veer and not much has happened since.
    preware FTW
    carldc likes this.
    Preware will open up your Pre to a whole new world of awesome things. And webOS development is still happening. That team didn't get laid off. HP even said that they would still support the TouchPad and the Veer but, who knows about the Pre 3. Who knows about any of it...
    carldc likes this.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    As someone who's almost a day-one Pre user, I can attest to Cantaffordit's recommendation...get Preware! Look for the Preware Documentation app in the app catalog. It's MORE than worth the 99 cents.

I'm in the same boat. I also bought an ATT one the other day. I see a lot of good things being said, but I also see a lot of confusing info...
    -doctor it to a UK Pre3, don't doctor;
    -paid apps, no paid apps;
    -no OTA updates, OTA updates...

Best I can tell (and PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong!), it should be activated normally (SIM card, Palm Profile) for full access to the app catalog (i.e. paid apps) if you, your Pre, and your card are all US (or whatever country). There are OTA updates (if that matters any more), but no webOS Doctor (and S/N shows up as invalid on HP site). Is all that right?

Question... If webOS gets messed up on it, is the Euro webOS doctor a potential solution?

This is gonna be an adventure!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    As someone who's almost a day-one Pre user, I can attest to Cantaffordit's recommendation...get Preware! Look for the Preware Documentation app in the app catalog. It's MORE than worth the 99 cents.
    is it necessary to pay a buck to get preware on pre3?
    is there anyway around this?
    i didnt have to pay a cent to get my touchpad all tweaked out running at 1.9 GHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumplinknet View Post
    is it necessary to pay a buck to get preware on pre3?
    is there anyway around this?
    i didnt have to pay a cent to get my touchpad all tweaked out running at 1.9 GHz.
    it isn't, you can install preware as normal but purchasing the app is an easy way to donate to those that make many things possible for the webOS community.
    carldc likes this.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    The app is WELL worth the buck, but it is true that you can get all the info you need on this site. Just search for "getting started".
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I'm have one on the way as well, in addition to my UK Pre 3...

Could someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of doctor'ing it to a UK Pre 3?

Also, when unlocked by seller in the US, should i expect US App Catalog access?
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    I think we should start a twitter campaign to get HP to recognize the AT&T pre3 as out there and release the doctor and updates for it as it is. Being an old fossil, I dont know how to do it, just signed up with twitter today.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post

I'm in the same boat. I also bought an ATT one the other day. I see a lot of good things being said, but I also see a lot of confusing info...
    -doctor it to a UK Pre3, don't doctor;
    -paid apps, no paid apps;
    -no OTA updates, OTA updates...

Best I can tell (and PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong!), it should be activated normally (SIM card, Palm Profile) for full access to the app catalog (i.e. paid apps) if you, your Pre, and your card are all US (or whatever country). There are OTA updates (if that matters any more), but no webOS Doctor (and S/N shows up as invalid on HP site). Is all that right?

Question... If webOS gets messed up on it, is the Euro webOS doctor a potential solution?

This is gonna be an adventure!
    We should have a sticky for this.
    There is no ATT Pre 3 WebOS doctor out there yet. If the device tanks, that'll be all she wrote for it.

There is an EU Pre 3 WebOS available. Soorma (and others) were able to change the tokens on the ATT Pre 3 to make it into an EU Pre 3. If his devices fails for some reason, he can always doctor it using the EU Pre 3 WebOS doctor.

I am trying to change the tokens on my device too but the process seems like major surgery for me. There is a wiki on how to do it but it's just a daunting task for me.