1.    #1  
    I got too excited with the flood of Pre3's on eBay, and bought a EU 8Gb model from UK, then saw the AT&T 16Gb 4G model and bought one of those too !
    They are coming next week, along with a 32Gb Touchpad. Now I am not sure which one will work best for 3G here in Australia (Melbourne) on Optus.
    I know they are tri-band UMTS, with one @ 850, and other 900.
    I currently have a US Pre2, and the lack of 3G when I am off WiFi is a pain.
    I know to use Impostah to activate US App Catalog, and Meta-Doctor the AT&T model to EU. I want the 16Gb memory on the US model, and potential higher speeds if/when we go 4G or LTE.
    I will keep one and sell the other.
    What are your thoughts ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnick View Post
    I got too excited with the flood of Pre3's on eBay, and bought a EU 8Gb model from UK, then saw the AT&T 16Gb 4G model and bought one of those too !
    They are coming next week, along with a 32Gb Touchpad. Now I am not sure which one will work best for 3G here in Australia (Melbourne) on Optus.
    I know they are tri-band UMTS, with one @ 850, and other 900.
    I currently have a US Pre2, and the lack of 3G when I am off WiFi is a pain.
    I know to use Impostah to activate US App Catalog, and Meta-Doctor the AT&T model to EU. I want the 16Gb memory on the US model, and potential higher speeds if/when we go 4G or LTE.
    I will keep one and sell the other.
    What are your thoughts ?
    My understanding is that the EU version is best with Optus. I use a US Pre2 on NextG (850) and it flys.

I am considering and AT&T Pre3 on NextG but am concerned whether I will be able to use an Aussie App Cat Profile on it. I'm not sure whether the "unlock" process has actually "locked" the device to the US App Cat. Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    the UK Pre 3. Mine's coming next week. I'm on Dodo (well that's actually running on optus...)

Besides.. what's up with all these peeps getting multiple Pres and touchpads....
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I think I jumped too soon before checking the specs of the AT&T model, and if I'd waited a couple of days, I could have saved a couple of hundred $
    Looks like the AT&T model will hit eBay pretty soon after I get it, unless I can convince the wife that it's good for her on Vodafone.
    Looking forward to working with Touchpad and Pre3.
    I missed all the firesales, looked at changing over to FruitPhone or SameDroid, but couldn't do it ... more money than sense !
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks, I think I jumped too soon before checking the specs of the AT&T model, and if I'd waited a couple of days, I could have saved a couple of hundred $
    Looks like the AT&T model will hit eBay pretty soon after I get it, unless I can convince the wife that it's good for her on Vodafone.
    Looking forward to working with Touchpad and Pre3.
    I missed all the firesales, looked at changing over to FruitPhone or SameDroid, but couldn't do it ... more money than sense !
    Sheesh! you can afford multiple Pre 3's but your wife is on vodaphone?!
    Australian UMTS Frequencies:
    Telstra: 850/2100MHz
    Optus: 900/2100MHz
    Vodafone: 850/900/2100MHz

Therefore:
    EU Pre3 for Optus and regional Vodafone users.
    US Pre3 for Telstra and metropolitan Vodafone users.
    Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
    There's three ways - the right way, the wrong way and the railway...
  7.    #7  
    So EU Pre3 arrived, and it went straight to 3G !
    ... now, how to convince my wife she wants the AT&T Pre3 on Vodafone instead of her Windows HTC Trophy 7 (which she hates) ?
    ... probably not as hard as I first thought !
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb
  8.    #8  
    Now have AT&T Pre3, OTA upgrade to 2.2.3, and 3G in Melbourne, and as far out as Shepparton on Optus.
    Really liked the changeover from Pre2 to EU Pre3, kept all Contacts, SMS msgs, Web bookmarks etc.
    Thought I would do the same for EU to AT&T, but logging into EU profile on AT&T didn't transfer SMS or Web history and bookmarks !
    Still with frequent travel to Nth/Sth America, 3G in cities and 16 Gb storage, the AT&T model suits me better.
    I'll talk the wife into the EU model ;-)
    Congrats on your Pre 3 x2.
    I have an EU Pre 3 on Optus and love it. I also have a Telstra SIM and have been contemplating getting an AT&T Pre 3 since they are 16GB and I'd expect data speeds to be even faster on Telstra. However, having spent $450 (including shipping) on the Pre 3 already, plus this year I also got a 32GB TouchPad & iPad 2....and my iPhone contract is up, meaning that I can sign another 2 year contract and get another one......so I'm finding it hard to justify buying another Pre 3. The eBay prices are coming down though. Would cost me around $350 including shipping for the 16GB one.

Do you use the US app catalog? I activated my Pre 3 initially as US, but then switched it to my AU account which I used on a Pre 2 (by switching to the same account as my TouchPad). However, just yesterday, I doctored my Pre 3 and signed into the US profile (even before moving the TP to it) and I have been purchasing US apps now. I still have more to buy before I have the same ones that I had already on the AU app catalog....but I am waiting for more credit to be put into my usunlocked card. Then I will buy the remainder...plus then be able to buy more since the US app catalog has more apps...especially for the phone, I find that the TP is similar.

Apart from issuing an unlocked code (maybe) to the AT&T Pre 3, did you have to do anything special to it....what I mean is that I thought something was missing from the AT&T one...was it Skype? I know that there was an update.....did that fix that?
  10.    #10  
    Snap ! My 32Gb TP arrives next week. Paid way too much for the AT&T model when they first came on eBay, got the EU model at a more reasonable price.
    I activated both on US Catalog, and waiting for my USUnlocked activation to go through (Its been 4 days already).
    I will activate the TP on my US Pre3 profile to share apps.
    Skype is built into EU-Pre3 (need to activate as a Messaging account, and contacts come through with sync), but is available as an app through App Catalog for AT&T model (at least on US catalog). Seemed to work OK for me.
    My AT&T model was marked unlocked by seller and was. I had no issues with Optus SIM. As Hendikins noted, the 3G coverage is not as good on Optus in regional centres (I am in Numerkah for holidays, and only have Edge, whereas it was 3G when going through Shepparton).
    I couldn't doctor to 2.2.3, had trouble downloading it (maybe to many people accessing ?), and when I finally did, it hung at 1% saying unable to update ! I did a full reset and went back to my original profile and it works fine now. I will redoctor when I get back to civilisation. The OTA update got me to 2.2.3, so I'm good for the time being.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Snap ! My 32Gb TP arrives next week. Paid way too much for the AT&T model when they first came on eBay, got the EU model at a more reasonable price.
    I activated both on US Catalog, and waiting for my USUnlocked activation to go through (Its been 4 days already).
    I will activate the TP on my US Pre3 profile to share apps.
    Skype is built into EU-Pre3 (need to activate as a Messaging account, and contacts come through with sync), but is available as an app through App Catalog for AT&T model (at least on US catalog). Seemed to work OK for me.
    My AT&T model was marked unlocked by seller and was. I had no issues with Optus SIM. As Hendikins noted, the 3G coverage is not as good on Optus in regional centres (I am in Numerkah for holidays, and only have Edge, whereas it was 3G when going through Shepparton).
    I couldn't doctor to 2.2.3, had trouble downloading it (maybe to many people accessing ?), and when I finally did, it hung at 1% saying unable to update ! I did a full reset and went back to my original profile and it works fine now. I will redoctor when I get back to civilisation. The OTA update got me to 2.2.3, so I'm good for the time being.
    When you unlocked it with the US app cat, did you have to create a new profile instead of reusing your old profile which I assume is linked to another country's app cat? (usually UK)
  12.    #12  
    I have two profiles, an original one I used with my Pre-, which was activated to UK store, and setup a new profile for my Pre2 when I activated it in the US on an AT&T sim. With my Pre3's I used the old Pre- profile with Impostah, and then the US Pre2 profile after Meta-doctering. I have access to the US catalog. The Pre2 to EU-Pre3 change went really well, with all sms and web history transfering over, but the same wasn't true for EU-Pre3 to AT&T :-(.
    BTW, my daughter now has the Pre- on Optus, and she has 3G in Numurkah !!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I have two profiles, an original one I used with my Pre-, which was activated to UK store, and setup a new profile for my Pre2 when I activated it in the US on an AT&T sim. With my Pre3's I used the old Pre- profile with Impostah, and then the US Pre2 profile after Meta-doctering. I have access to the US catalog. The Pre2 to EU-Pre3 change went really well, with all sms and web history transfering over, but the same wasn't true for EU-Pre3 to AT&T :-(.
    BTW, my daughter now has the Pre- on Optus, and she has 3G in Numurkah !!
    dang!

I just used impostah to create a new australian account with an australian app cat (yep, prices were in dollars and there weren't many apps) and then I wiped it (doctored), and logged into my old account which was UK activated. Now I'm looking at pounds again!

in either case, the optus network sure works on it (I'm on Dodo in Sydney)