webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Anyone try AT&T Pre 3 with H2O wireless?
Anyone try AT&T Pre 3 with H2O wireless?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 09/24/2011, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am an original Pre (-) owner and I am pretty much at the end of my rope with my 4x replaced phone. I caved in and bought the AT&T Pre 3 from ebay and was wondering if anyone has tried it with the new H2O wireless $60 unlimited plan? From what I read, it uses AT&T services so I was wondering about speeds, coverage and reliability.

I will try it myself once I get the phone and run some tests before dumping my Sprint account but any info from you guys would be helpful.

P.S. I will post results of testing and decide whether it is worth a change from Sprint or just put it back on ebay and sell it for what I paid for.
maleoutkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2011, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just did the same thing, and I am also about to dump Sprint, and would love to know if anyone has done this with a Pre3!
MekkelRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2011, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Update:
I've had the phone for over a day now and after spending about 4 hours getting everything straight with H2O it seems to be working rather well.

-Data speeds vary wideley. According to mobile speedtest, I can get anywhere from .2MB - 1.5MB downloads. Nothing really consistent or average at all.
-Data configuration was a little difficult to get to but once you know where it is it's just a matter of putting in the correct settings. My phone ends up with the H+ sign on it so I am assuming it is connecting to HSDPA but like I said earlier, the speeds are very inconsistent.
-As far as the phone goes, it is phenominal. I love it! Just using the phone makes up for having a service that's up to par with Sprint, as far as data and unlimited plans go.

All in all it is not a bad experience and it is definately not worse than being on Sprint with a Pre (-).
Old 09/29/2011, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also got the Veer and Pre 3 and decided to give H20 a try. After a few days, I ported my number over to H20. If others are planning on doing the same, FYI, when you port your number from Sprint etc, you will need to spend another $9 to get another SIM card as H20 wil not port to an activated SIM. So new SIM and then request to port on that SIM.

As far as speed, yes it varies a lot, I am mostly in a similar range though mostly on the lower end or .40 mbps. For some reason, my Veer seems to pull better speed than the Pre 3 when i do a SIM swap at any moment. But so far service has been great, Customer service, though longer lines have been very efficient.

Overall great phone and good service.Once there are 4G phone on the ATT Go Prepaid, I wonder if we would be able to pul real H+ speeds? That would make the $60 really worth it
ameetmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2011, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

They're saying that H2O data is throttled, so having 4G phones on the AT&T GoPhone plans probably won't affect anything. I get good data speeds, but have often had to wait longer than I should have to get Pandora to start, or to get pages to load and then a reload of the page fixes it. This could just be that AT&T is bad in my area though.

I'm also using a Veer, not a Pre 3.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2011, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am wondering if there is a way to get normal 3G signals on the phone instead of connecting to H+. I want to see the difference in data speeds between the two but I just don't know how to go about it.
Old 10/02/2011, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameetmedi View Post
I also got the Veer and Pre 3 and decided to give H20 a try. After a few days, I ported my number over to H20. If others are planning on doing the same, FYI, when you port your number from Sprint etc, you will need to spend another $9 to get another SIM card as H20 wil not port to an activated SIM. So new SIM and then request to port on that SIM.

As far as speed, yes it varies a lot, I am mostly in a similar range though mostly on the lower end or .40 mbps. For some reason, my Veer seems to pull better speed than the Pre 3 when i do a SIM swap at any moment. But so far service has been great, Customer service, though longer lines have been very efficient.

Overall great phone and good service.Once there are 4G phone on the ATT Go Prepaid, I wonder if we would be able to pul real H+ speeds? That would make the $60 really worth it
Question about the HP Veer on H2o...do you need to have an unlocked Veer or can you use a Veer locked to AT&T? I am looking to purchase a Veer for H2O service and it seems the locked phones are less expensive than the unlocked phones. Thanks for your help.
sammie898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie898 View Post
Question about the HP Veer on H2o...do you need to have an unlocked Veer or can you use a Veer locked to AT&T? I am looking to purchase a Veer for H2O service and it seems the locked phones are less expensive than the unlocked phones. Thanks for your help.
a locked att phone will work fine.
ameetmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sammie898
Old 10/08/2011, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

For what it's worth, I signed up for a month of AT&T postpaid service without a contract, to compare it to H2O (on a Veer).

H2O gives me ~800kbps down/ 250kbps up today. AT&T gives ~5.0mbps down / 600kbps up.

Both are faster than my Sprint Pre 2 lately, which is about 500 down/ 150 up.

However, I haven't used the AT&T SIM yet for more than just basic testing from my apartment. Personally, I was having issues with the H2O SIM where despite the decent benchmarks for data, in practice it was horrible. It would take a minute to switch to the next track in Pandora, I couldn't get Google voice to work because the webpage wouldn't load without refreshing it 3 or 4 times, etc. Of course your results will vary, but the H2O SIM just wasn't stable enough for me to actually keep at it.
Liked by roallen78 likes this.
Old 10/08/2011, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am in Orlando, FL and don't have ANY complaints about my Pre 3 on H2O with the $60 plan, getting great service. I ported my number from Sprint and couldn't be happier. As for all these different speeds you smart techie and geekie guys come up with, I am sure it doesn't really matter to regular users like myself who is seeing BLAZING speeds from my Pre 3 for everything.

compared to my Pre-, I just hit the lotto, not to mentioned it looks/seems just as fast, responsive, smooth as my brother's Evo and friends iphone 4.

Last edited by RoverNole; 10/08/2011 at 02:47 PM.
RoverNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

just put in my port request online today to H2o wireless. How long did it take your number to port (their website says up to 24 business hours). How did you know your number was ported? (email? trial and error?). Sorry for so many questions, but I've been a Sprint user for 10+ years, and never had to port a number. Thanks.
Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 06:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

you guys might want to look at straight talk wireless insteal. $45 unlimited and the data is consistent setup isnt as simple as h20 though
2.0t03speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
just put in my port request online today to H2o wireless. How long did it take your number to port (their website says up to 24 business hours). How did you know your number was ported? (email? trial and error?). Sorry for so many questions, but I've been a Sprint user for 10+ years, and never had to port a number. Thanks.
They said 24hrs, but it was ported over sooner than that. I called to speak and asked their customer service questions (on hold for a while). You will know the port is complete b/c your current phone will not work.

Like you, I am new to the port and GSM game after 11yrs with Sprint. I was surprised that my navigation also works flawless, even better than my Pre-, since the Pre 3 is probably running the latest uodates.
Thanked By: Tikkanen
Old 10/08/2011, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameetmedi View Post
Purchased this SIM on ebay for $0.99 shipped.

SIM card arrived today. Got phone to work by using the settings posted here. My Pre 3 that I purchased off of ebay did NOT come unlocked, but the H2O wireless still worked anyway.

The only thing I am bummed out about is that I wish I had read that you cannot port a number once the sim card is activated. Had to buy another SIM and wait until the 30 days is up on the card I activated today. I got too excited and should have checked Precentral forums one more time and I could have saved myself time and money.

Overall I am happy with the H2O wireless service. My bill is going to be cheaper than my Sprint Pre (-). Thanks to everyone for posting about it here! Was wanting to avoid ATT prices and I got my wish.
mustangjoe04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Alright, what's the catch with H2O?
Is unlimited really unlimited?
Will you get a warning if you tether? If I can't tether, might as well forget about it.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
Alright, what's the catch with H2O?
Is unlimited really unlimited?
Will you get a warning if you tether? If I can't tether, might as well forget about it.
They're throttling data speeds. There also might be a hidden cap, a few people are discussing that their data has been turned off: H2O $60 unlimited is a joke. You call this unlimited?
Old 10/08/2011, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
They're throttling data speeds. There also might be a hidden cap, a few people are discussing that their data has been turned off: H2O $60 unlimited is a joke. You call this unlimited?
WOW.
You cannot be serious.
Throttling, I understand. It's technically still unlimited (Tmobile).

But this? "Although we offer unlimited data for the new H2O $60 Month Plan, unlimited does not mean unlimited without reasonable use."

No matter how you try to explain or define it, this is not unlimited. So is 1gb-1.5gb/month considered "reasonable"? I may not even want to take a chance with these guys...
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
WOW.
You cannot be serious.
Throttling, I understand. It's technically still unlimited (Tmobile).

But this? "Although we offer unlimited data for the new H2O $60 Month Plan, unlimited does not mean unlimited without reasonable use."

No matter how you try to explain or define it, this is not unlimited. So is 1gb-1.5gb/month considered "reasonable"? I may not even want to take a chance with these guys...
Keep in mind that it's only a couple people who have had this issue. It might have just been an account issue or something, we don't know for sure.
Old 10/08/2011, 07:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm going to H20 too with an AT&T BNIB ebay purchase. Just to be clear, for $60 I get unlimited talk & text but the packaging at Best Buy ($9.99 for the SIM card) says 100mb of data. So do I cap out after 100mb of data & does that include picture mail as data or are they part of the unlimited texting? Anone able to provide some clarity on all this? Do I have to activate on an ATT SIM card first then insert the H20 card? Do I need to use Impostah to login in to my Palm Profile? Any help is MUCH appreciated with any of these answers. I tried asking @seretogis who sold me an unlocked UK Pre3 but after reading some of his posts about connection issues I got scared and sold it before attempting activation and went the ATT route since he seemed to do the same after testing in my neighborhood. Sorry for the long post! (BTW he never answered back... Go figure)
matteebee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2011, 09:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
I'm going to H20 too with an AT&T BNIB ebay purchase. Just to be clear, for $60 I get unlimited talk & text but the packaging at Best Buy ($9.99 for the SIM card) says 100mb of data. So do I cap out after 100mb of data & does that include picture mail as data or are they part of the unlimited texting? Anone able to provide some clarity on all this? Do I have to activate on an ATT SIM card first then insert the H20 card? Do I need to use Impostah to login in to my Palm Profile? Any help is MUCH appreciated with any of these answers. I tried asking @seretogis who sold me an unlocked UK Pre3 but after reading some of his posts about connection issues I got scared and sold it before attempting activation and went the ATT route since he seemed to do the same after testing in my neighborhood. Sorry for the long post! (BTW he never answered back... Go figure)
The packages info is old, so I am sure until they are all sold out, they will continue to ship them. Have the rep or yourself go to H2O website for the most recent plans.

I took mine to best buy, bought their H2O SIM card, but they had to insert one of their AT&T SIM card inorder to get an internet connection to activate my palm account, then I input my H2O SIM card and was off to the races.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0