Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I first activated my Pre3 with a go phone account and you cannot get data access since the Pre 3 is in Atts system as a smart phone. You would have to pay extra for a data plan, which is also limited. I'm on H2O right now and it seems to do alright. I'm getting 1.5 down and 300 up. Still having problems with sending picture texts though, which is frustrating.
    Went to the corporate store and got the Post Paid OFF CONTRACT (finally!) and have H+. Paying $85 for the 2GB data/450min package and testing speeds this month, then I'll try H2O and compare next month. So far H+ is pretty abysmal speedwise in Seattle. 3G is actually faster. More testing and I'll post back some comparisons here for ATT 3G vs. H+; then ATT vs. H2O next month. $60 sounds a lot better right now if the difference is negligible.
    I went to my local ATT store and asked about the prepay plans. The key when asking about the plans (post or pre - paid) is to know that the pre3 is considered a 3G phone by ATT - regardless of what the box says! I was asking about a plan for a 4G phone (I didn't tell him what it was). As I was walking out I remembered the 'faux G' comments on the forums here and also saw the Veer's sitting on the display and realized that we had failed to communicate. ATT is not currently offering prepaid for 4G phones.

So in fact prepaid will work for the pre3 'faux g' phone was the response when I returned to clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendaveh View Post
    I went to my local ATT store and asked about the prepay plans. The key when asking about the plans (post or pre - paid) is to know that the pre3 is considered a 3G phone by ATT - regardless of what the box says! I was asking about a plan for a 4G phone (I didn't tell him what it was). As I was walking out I remembered the 'faux G' comments on the forums here and also saw the Veer's sitting on the display and realized that we had failed to communicate. ATT is not currently offering prepaid for 4G phones.

So in fact prepaid will work for the pre3 'faux g' phone was the response when I returned to clarify.
    The difference between "pre-paid" and "post-paid" is this: "Pre-paid"=Go! Plan=no H+ (3G only) "Post-paid"=H+. Most of the non corporate Mom & Pop ATT stores will NOT SELL YOU the "post-paid" plan because they want a commission and will tell you they can't sell it without you signing a contract. The corporate store will sell you the "post-paid" plan without a contract. Same goes for calling & trying to get it from the sales dept from ATT. Yhey simply WILL NOT sell it to you without making you sign a contract first.
    Bottom line: If you want H+ service off contract, you must go in to the ATT corporate store & use the words "post-paid". "Pre-paid" means Go! Plan & no H+ possible. OR try H2O which most people in this thread are reporting success with H+ (& there is some shady discussion about whether or not they "throttle" said data) That is the purpose of the discussion in this thread as far as I can tell. To point out the ability to use H2O on the locked ATT Pre 3 and the differences in data services, price and plans between the 2 companies.
    Did you find a fix for this? I have H2O setup on my wife's Pre3 but she cannot send or receive Picture texts, and her email sporadically stops sending emails.... Anyone with knowledge of how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. FYI- I have my APN settings at

-open the phone app
    -tap on the drop down menu on the upper left side that says H2O
    -Go to Preferences & Accounts
    -Scroll down to Edit Network Settings
    -Change INTERNET APN to att.mvno (leave USERNAME and PASSWORD blank)
    -Tap Change Settings

-Tap on MMS APN
    -Change MMS APN to att.mvno (leave USERNAME and PASSWORD blank)
    -MMS PROPERTIES
    -http://mmsc.cingular.com (MMSC)
    -wireless.cingular.com:80 (MMS PROXY)
    -1048576 (MAX SIZE)
    -Tap Change Settings

Quote Originally Posted by needmoretime View Post
    I first activated my Pre3 with a go phone account and you cannot get data access since the Pre 3 is in Atts system as a smart phone. You would have to pay extra for a data plan, which is also limited. I'm on H2O right now and it seems to do alright. I'm getting 1.5 down and 300 up. Still having problems with sending picture texts though, which is frustrating.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have a question. I have an iphone 3gs from at&t on a post-pay plan--the 450 mins per month and grandfathered unlimited data--as of now I am not on contract but don't want to give up my unlimited plan on my iphone so I don't want to cut it. I just bought a pre3.

Would it be cheaper to just add the pre3 to my account like a 'family plan' or just do a totally seperate prepaid 'go plan' from ATT or some other folks like h2o? I'm loving my pre3 but just not ready to turn the lights out on my iphone completely and switch 100% to the pre3. (I'm just used to so many apps that aren't on the pre3). Of course, the data on my pre would be charged as a seperate data plan and measured....which would be fine just as long as I can keep my other seperate grandfathed unlimited data plan on my iphone. Anything that would jeopordize my unlimited data plan on the iphone would be a no-go.

Advice?
    Last edited by Renard98; 10/27/2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoretime View Post
    I have H2O setup on my wife's Pre3 but she cannot send or receive Picture texts ... I have my APN settings at

-1048576 (MAX SIZE)
    Are your picture sizes greater than the "MAX SIZE" setting? Try leaving it blank.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Went to the corporate store and got the Post Paid OFF CONTRACT (finally!) and have H+. Paying $85 for the 2GB data/450min package and testing speeds this month, then I'll try H2O and compare next month. So far H+ is pretty abysmal speedwise in Seattle. 3G is actually faster. More testing and I'll post back some comparisons here for ATT 3G vs. H+; then ATT vs. H2O next month. $60 sounds a lot better right now if the difference is negligible.
    So finally you got it. I am thinking of jumping on ATT. Stayed with Sprint too long. Do they offer corporate discounts on ATT ?
    And how are the speeds ? Any info is appreciated.
    My wife will be thrilled. That's all she does with her phone-picture mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
    Are your picture sizes greater than the "MAX SIZE" setting? Try leaving it blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    So finally you got it. I am thinking of jumping on ATT. Stayed with Sprint too long. Do they offer corporate discounts on ATT ?
    And how are the speeds ? Any info is appreciated.
    AT&T does offer corporate discounts, but per the fine print it says you must be under a 2 year contract in order to get the discount. I was not interested in being under contract for 2 years since I bought the phone myself, so no corp discounts for me If anyone feels this is incorrect, then please let me know. Thanks.

Oh....I haven't measured the speeds, but I find it pretty good. I had an issue with my wi-fi losing connection and it almost got me in trouble with the plan I signed up for, but other than that, I am very happy with my Pre 3 under AT&T going on day 5!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    (18:12:25)SUPPORT:Welcome to H2OWIRELESS. Please wait for the next available representative.
    (18:17:21)SUPPORT: Thank you for contacting customer service, my name is YOMA. How can I help you?
    (18:17:32)Dan McCarthy: jahah
    (18:17:38)Dan McCarthy: your name is yomama?!
    (18:17:55)Dan McCarthy: I have an error when I try to buy minutes
    (18:17:59)SUPPORT: what sorry
    (18:18:05)SUPPORT: what the error
    (18:18:07)Dan McCarthy: Authentication Failure Please Be sure to contact Call Center (Error code: -1)
    (18:18:43)Dan McCarthy: I tried 2 credit card 3 times
    (18:19:01)Dan McCarthy: the cards are fine... used them a few minutes ago
    (18:19:31)Dan McCarthy: muy # is xxxxxxxxx
    (18:20:08)SUPPORT: I apologize for any inconveniences.
    (18:24:52)Dan McCarthy: So are you looking into it? any ideas?
    (18:25:10)SUPPORT: please contact are customer services at 18006434926
    (18:25:19)SUPPORT: to help you with the recharge
    (18:25:30)Dan McCarthy: ok
    (18:25:50)Dan McCarthy: another thing:
    (18:26:19)Dan McCarthy: is there a limit on the amount of data I can use on the unlimited plan? can I use 7 gigabytes in one month?
    (18:29:12)Dan McCarthy: Ae you still there?
    (18:29:44)Dan McCarthy: Hm
    (18:30:03)SUPPORT: there no limits on the data is unlimited...
    (18:30:32)Dan McCarthy: Are you sure because I've heard of some people who get their data turned off because they use too much
    (18:32:05)Dan McCarthy: Are you chatting with 10 other people? Your responses are taking really long.
    (18:34:21)Dan McCarthy: no comment?
    (18:34:41)Dan McCarthy: Must be chatting with like 40 other ppl
    (18:35:17)SUPPORT: I apologize for any inconveniences.
    (18:35:35)SUPPORT: the service for the 60 unlimited everything is unlimited
    (18:35:38)SUPPORT: is there anything else I may assist you with?
    (18:36:01)Dan McCarthy: I asked if you were sure about the unlimited data becaus eI'vve heard ppl get cut off after a certain amount
    (18:36:36)SUPPORT: yes im sure
    (18:36:44)Dan McCarthy: ok thanks bye
    Pre 3 and Veer definitively work well on h20, we are having no issues as far as data and picture mail go, but you do have to modify settings. All you need to do is go into the phone settings whenever the registration fails and change main apn to att.mvno then go to the mms settings and do the same leaving everything else alone. When it says it fails hit set up anyway and everything will work. The only thing we are still struggling to figure out is getting the hotspot working. With Page plus the pixis and other palms work great but without a unlimited data pack, does not make sense to use. The at&t ones seem to work and can even be connected to with other device but even though signal is perfect and devices connect fine, they will not pull web. Wondering if unlocking will work. Thats our next step unless someone has a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    I am an original Pre (-) owner and I am pretty much at the end of my rope with my 4x replaced phone. I caved in and bought the AT&T Pre 3 from ebay and was wondering if anyone has tried it with the new H2O wireless $60 unlimited plan? From what I read, it uses AT&T services so I was wondering about speeds, coverage and reliability.

I will try it myself once I get the phone and run some tests before dumping my Sprint account but any info from you guys would be helpful.

P.S. I will post results of testing and decide whether it is worth a change from Sprint or just put it back on ebay and sell it for what I paid for.
    Getting around 1mbps on H2o :/
    I was wondering with the H2O $60 plan if that includes taxes or fees. Or does the monthly bill end up being over $70 per month after taxes/fees?
    I can attest it's exactly $60. Any taxes/fee are already included.
    Sorry to **** in on the ongoing thread. I just signed up with H2O a few days ago. Speeds for normal surfing are in the 500-600 download range, and 100-200 upload in my area of Oregon. While I own an Android (hey what's he doing here!), when I attempt any download from the Market or Youtube after the first 500K the throttling begins. I've waited up for two minutes for the data flow to resume. The you get another short burst of 500K then wait. This happens on Youtube, Android Market, or any direct download to my phone. What is really interesting is any streaming service (including Netflix!) seems to work fine. Most other data is fine. Obviously they have a real problem with people downloading anything directly like torrents. Can't blame them for that. I haven't decided if I'm going to stay with them. Probably will as I do need the additional coverage coming from a Sprint MVNO.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Hello, does anyone know if you use free tether on Att post paid do they see it as tethering or just as data usage?. Currently on sprint with pre minus and touch pad. Pre 3 on the way. can't frekin wait!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by s1241sm View Post
    Hello, does anyone know if you use free tether on Att post paid do they see it as tethering or just as data usage?. Currently on sprint with pre minus and touch pad. Pre 3 on the way. can't frekin wait!!!!!
    Yes freeTether DOES work on ATT for now, but I haven't used it much because I'm on a capped ATT data plan. I'm still planning on switching to H2O in approx 2 wks and will update this thread with some comparisons such as speed, freeTether capability geographical coverage, and MMS capability. I'm expecting my "post paid" ATT bill to be about $120 for mid Oct-Nov without MMS capability, 450 mins, 2GB data and per SMS (44 messages so far) + an activation fee of $18-$36 (I might talk ATT in to removing activation fee, but not holding my breath.) Since both networks use the same towers I'm not expecting much difference except the price and possibly capped data. I don't use that much data (mostly wifi) so it shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like I should have H+ avail on H2O according to several posts I've read too
    Last edited by matteebee13; 11/03/2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I just ordered a h2o sim card for my pre 3 but wasn't sure of how the whole process of porting my # and terminating my sprint account.

should I port the # over to h2o before I terminate my sprint account or vice verse?
    I was worried once I cancel my sprint account the phone # no longer belongs to me and I wouldn't be able to port over the same # anymore to my h2o sim card.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Don't terminate your Sprint account. When you go to setup your H2O SIM there is a special page for porting numbers (it requires an unactivated H2O SIM). Follow that process and it will require you to enter your Sprint account number and 6-digit passcode. Once porting is complete, your Sprint account should be canceled automatically.

I actually set up a new number and the ported my Sprint number to Google Voice instead. So calls to my Sprint/GV number get forwarded to my H2O SIM. The annoying thing is outgoing calls, I have to use Voogle 3.0 to make calls to make sure my Sprint/GV number shows up. Not as easy as using the synergy phone book but not bad...

However, if you get a text from someone, GV will assign it a special proxy number which you can use to dial/text that person directly without having to use Voogle. On the plus side, I get GV transcriptions, and most importantly, can access my texting from the web or other devices, and of course can make VOIP calls from my computer using Google Talk with my Sprint/GV phone number...

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by jcbone View Post
    I just ordered a h2o sim card for my pre 3 but wasn't sure of how the whole process of porting my # and terminating my sprint account.

should I port the # over to h2o before I terminate my sprint account or vice verse?
    I was worried once I cancel my sprint account the phone # no longer belongs to me and I wouldn't be able to port over the same # anymore to my h2o sim card.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast