Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Tested out ATT H+ with a friend's SIM & results not impressive (using netSpeed App) got avg speed of 128KB/s, Bandwidth of 1024kbps & top speed of 187KB/s. Higher results with 3G. Testing isn't too convenient cuz it's not my SIM, but if this is what I can expect on ATT around here... Why bother? I can't get H+ without signing a contract either, no matter who I ask (store rep, ATT customer service). They all say "pay as you go" is the same as "Go! Plan" and H+ is not available unless I sign a contract. Gonna give H2O a try on my backup Pre 3 I purchased on ebay when it arrives. Supposedly unlocked... I might swap SIM's back and forth between devices just to see what happens. BTW 952KBs using 3G just now.
    Looking at how you are quoting that, are you using the netspeed app? All the speedtest apps suck and are completely unrealistic. Use speedtest.net or similar to test. I get almost 8 mbps (confirmed downloading a large file) from there, but netspeed tells me it is 200 kbps.... crap
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    Looking at how you are quoting that, are you using the netspeed app? All the speedtest apps suck and are completely unrealistic. Use speedtest.net or similar to test. I get almost 8 mbps (confirmed downloading a large file) from there, but netspeed tells me it is 200 kbps.... crap
    I used netspeed for the H+ test & speedtest.com for the 3G test. I put the ATT Pre 3 I have up for sale because I just got the unlocked version on the way via ebay to try out some other options like H20, so if anyone wants an ATT one... Anyway, thanks for the info. This is all a work in progress for me to find the right fit off contract with decent regional data speed without getting hosed.
    is your friends Sim card provisioned for 4g? Use mobilespeedtest.com

i'm curious about your logic. H2O uses ATT's network. Why would you get any better results with them in your location also knowing that they throttle data somewhat? If you get a bad signal on ATT you would get the same on H2O.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    is your friends Sim card provisioned for 4g? Use mobilespeedtest.com

i'm curious about your logic. H2O uses ATT's network. Why would you get any better results with them in your location also knowing that they throttle data somewhat? If you get a bad signal on ATT you would get the same on H2O.
    For starters, I would be paying $60 for "unlimited" data off contract with the H+ connection. I can't get H+ off contract w/ATT. The 500mb plan off contract through ATT is $60 w/a counter on my minutes & some bs $2 a day connection fee. H20, if I can even use it with this phone would have far more data available, even if it is throttled.
    For starters, I would be paying $60 for "unlimited" data off contract with the H+ connection. I can't get H+ off contract w/ATT. The 500mb plan off contract through ATT is $60 w/a counter on my minutes & some bs $2 a day connection fee. H20, if I can even use it with this phone would have far more data available, even if it is throttled.
    I'm going on my 3rd day with h2o. the pre 3 works fine. no issues. Great deal with their plan. PRE3+H2O ftw
    i know my situation is a special case since i piggybacked on my cousins family plan so 35 dollars obviously was well worth it to me.

and honestly I'm starting to learn that the whole "unlimited" thing is not really necessary. i looked back at the past year of my usage and i never went over 1.1 gigs. and even if i did its 10 dollars for every gig, so it would be 45 instead of 35 for 3 gigs. i live on a campus that is fully covered with Wifi and my house has wifi, so i barely need to use that much data.

i have unlimited texting and i have like 1400 minutes with a pool of over 6000 roll overs that they never used. so i'm good.

oh, and on top of all that i have HSPA+ with no contract because i bought my own phone and simply added a line. Win.
    I can't get H+ off contract w/ATT. The 500mb plan off contract through ATT is $60 w/a counter on my minutes & some bs $2 a day connection fee. H20, if I can even use it with this phone would have far more data available, even if it is throttled.
    I'm not sure how you guys aren't able to get the plan I got. I walked into an AT&T corporate store, showed them I had the Pre3 in hand and that I wanted to sign up for a POST PAID account. You have to tell them you don't want GoPhone. You have to use the words POST PAID. They simply send you a bill every month with a range of $65-$85 per month depending on your text messaging needs. I have 2gb of data per month, 450 anytime minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile on any network plus unlimited text messaging (which is very similar to what I had on Sprint).

The 500mb off contract GoPhone plan is not $60, it is $50 but you won't get H+, only 3G and Edge.

The $2 per day connection plan is a completely different plan all together. It is a version of the GoPhone plans where, instead of paying a set monthly fee, you only pay $2 on the days you actually use your phone (which, really would probably be every day so you'd be paying $60-$64 per month anyway). The $2 per day of use plan is really only good for people who rarely use their phone and have several days throughout the month where they wouldn't be using it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I'm not sure how you guys aren't able to get the plan I got. I walked into an AT&T corporate store, showed them I had the Pre3 in hand and that I wanted to sign up for a POST PAID account. You have to tell them you don't want GoPhone. You have to use the words POST PAID. They simply send you a bill every month with a range of $65-$85 per month depending on your text messaging needs. I have 2gb of data per month, 450 anytime minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile on any network plus unlimited text messaging (which is very similar to what I had on Sprint).

The 500mb off contract GoPhone plan is not $60, it is $50 but you won't get H+, only 3G and Edge.

The $2 per day connection plan is a completely different plan all together. It is a version of the GoPhone plans where, instead of paying a set monthly fee, you only pay $2 on the days you actually use your phone (which, really would probably be every day so you'd be paying $60-$64 per month anyway). The $2 per day of use plan is really only good for people who rarely use their phone and have several days throughout the month where they wouldn't be using it at all.
    Are you on a contract? They won't give me that deal no matter who I ask without a contract!? :P
    you should go to another store. or just try signing up for the post paid plan and ask for a sim. don't even show them the phone. tell them you already have a phone.

i walked into an at&t corporate store, signed up for a post-paid plan, walked out with the sim, and then popped it into my Pre 3 and it worked just fine. i signed up for the 2gb plan plus unlimited text messages, etc.

the receipt at the store (which read $0) said that there was NO CONTRACT.

they bill you later for the plan you're on.

You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR A CONTRACT IF YOU HAVE YOUR PHONE ALREADY.
    Still not working. They WILL NOT SELL ME THAT PLAN WITHOUT A CONTRACT. Not on the phone, not in a store, nowhere is that option available for me without a contract!!!!
    Still not working. They WILL NOT SELL ME THAT PLAN WITHOUT A CONTRACT. Not on the phone, not in a store, nowhere is that option available for me without a contract!!!!
    Only the official at&t corporate store can sign you up month to month with no contract. Go online to their webpage and use the store search.
    AT&T SIM Card Cell Phone - from AT&T

Here you go. Switch your plan to '4G' after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    AT&T SIM Card Cell Phone - from AT&T

Here you go. Switch your plan to '4G' after the fact.
    Sorry if I seem ignorant, but could you explain exactly how to do that without a contract? Are you implying I should buy a SIM card and upgrade? I've been trying to do that for 5 days now and nobody will budge without selling me a contract. I'm taking a trip to the corporate store tomorrow to give it one last attempt off contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I'm not sure how you guys aren't able to get the plan I got. I walked into an AT&T corporate store, showed them I had the Pre3 in hand and that I wanted to sign up for a POST PAID account. You have to tell them you don't want GoPhone. You have to use the words POST PAID. They simply send you a bill every month with a range of $65-$85 per month depending on your text messaging needs. I have 2gb of data per month, 450 anytime minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile on any network plus unlimited text messaging
    Did you buy the 450 mins, unlimited mobile-mobile & text & 2GB data in the store or did you upgrade online after the fact & simply bought a SIM card in there?
    Sorry if I seem ignorant, but could you explain exactly how to do that without a contract? Are you implying I should buy a SIM card and upgrade? I've been trying to do that for 5 days now and nobody will budge without selling me a contract. I'm taking a trip to the corporate store tomorrow to give it one last attempt off contract.
    You don't have an AT&T plan already, right? I'm not sure what the "and upgrade" part is for then. If you buy that SIM, you can activate a plan on it without a contract. Of course, if you don't sign a contract, you're not going to get discounted prices. And the post-paid AT&T plan is going to be something like $25 for 2GB data, $20 if you need unlimited texting, and $40 for 450 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You don't have an AT&T plan already, right? I'm not sure what the "and upgrade" part is for then. If you buy that SIM, you can activate a plan on it without a contract. Of course, if you don't sign a contract, you're not going to get discounted prices. And the post-paid AT&T plan is going to be something like $25 for 2GB data, $20 if you need unlimited texting, and $40 for 450 minutes.
    I have a Go! plan because the yahoo in the store wouldn't hook me up with the plan you're talking about off contract. No way, no how, no matter how I tried to explain it to him. He sold me this crummy Go! plan which actually will end up costing as much if not more the way I'm using it. I'm going to the corporate store tomm to change it to what you are talking about for H+ etc. I'll pay the $85, then try H2O for $60 next month and compare. (I was told the "only way to get 4G is on contract" which obviously isn't true; at least H+)
    Last edited by matteebee13; 10/18/2011 at 01:25 AM.
    make sure when you change your GoPhone plan to a post-paid plan that you get the pro-rated amount of the GoPhone service transferred over to your post-paid account. sounds like the 'yahoo' at the store is clueless.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    make sure when you change your GoPhone plan to a post-paid plan that you get the pro-rated amount of the GoPhone service transferred over to your post-paid account. sounds like the 'yahoo' at the store is clueless.
    Thanks Rog, that's the plan
    POST PAID is not the way to go.
    I think we should focus of figuring out if the $50 PPREPAY cards work on the Pre 3 because the POSTPAY requires that you pay taxes, has a 2GB data limit, and limitde minutes.

The PREPAY has unlimited everything however when you get it you must not tell them what you are using it in. Tell them its for use in a non smart phone.

POST PAY gets very expensive. Also, you cannot use a corporate discount with POSTPAY unless you do a 2 year contract.

Does anyone use ATT Prepay on the Pre 3 ?

I used it on my wifes Pre Plus 2 months ago and it worked perfect.

getting the
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyb View Post
    POST PAID is not the way to go.
    I think we should focus of figuring out if the $50 PPREPAY cards work on the Pre 3 because the POSTPAY requires that you pay taxes, has a 2GB data limit, and limitde minutes.

The PREPAY has unlimited everything however when you get it you must not tell them what you are using it in. Tell them its for use in a non smart phone.

POST PAY gets very expensive. Also, you cannot use a corporate discount with POSTPAY unless you do a 2 year contract.

Does anyone use ATT Prepay on the Pre 3 ?

I used it on my wifes Pre Plus 2 months ago and it worked perfect.

getting the
    Why don't you try it and let us know how it works out
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast