Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    For what it's worth, I signed up for a month of AT&T postpaid service without a contract, to compare it to H2O (on a Veer).

H2O gives me ~800kbps down/ 250kbps up today. AT&T gives ~5.0mbps down / 600kbps up.

Both are faster than my Sprint Pre 2 lately, which is about 500 down/ 150 up.

However, I haven't used the AT&T SIM yet for more than just basic testing from my apartment. Personally, I was having issues with the H2O SIM where despite the decent benchmarks for data, in practice it was horrible. It would take a minute to switch to the next track in Pandora, I couldn't get Google voice to work because the webpage wouldn't load without refreshing it 3 or 4 times, etc. Of course your results will vary, but the H2O SIM just wasn't stable enough for me to actually keep at it.
    Is HSPA+ active in your area? The download speeds are quite impressive for AT&T :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by roallen78 View Post
    Is HSPA+ active in your area? The download speeds are quite impressive for AT&T :-)
    Yes, i have HSPA+ here.
    If my cousin is on ATT and i go to Red Pocket, can i swap sim cards for a moment to test data speeds?

If his current phone is not HSPA+ and i swap with his sim, will mine access the HSPA+ on his plan?
    it may or may not. his account might need to be provisioned for 4G.
    jcbone you won't have 4g on simple mobile with pre 3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatEdSonata View Post
    jcbone you won't have 4g on simple mobile with pre 3
    how come platedsonata? Could you elaborate? Is there any prepaid gsm service that would give the pre 3 4g service? I may just go with simple mobile's $40 a month plan with unlimited everything, I think 3g speeds may be enough for me as I'm mostly in wifi areas anyway and most of the data on 3g would be for streaming pandora in my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbone View Post
    how come platedsonata? Could you elaborate? Is there any prepaid gsm service that would give the pre 3 4g service? I may just go with simple mobile's $40 a month plan with unlimited everything, I think 3g speeds may be enough for me as I'm mostly in wifi areas anyway and most of the data on 3g would be for streaming pandora in my car.
    Even if you do get '4G' HSPA+, it seems that the MVNOs are all throttling data speeds (see my example above, and others are said to be doing the same).

That being said, Simple Mobile runs on T-Mobile's network. That means that it runs 3G and '4G' on the 1700 AWS band, and with either an AT&T or UK Pre 3, you won't be able to connect to anything other than EDGE (something like ~100-200kbps download if you're lucky)
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/14/2011 at 11:51 AM.
    going home to get my pre3 in a few hours! :-)

I just have to decide what I want to do. I right jump on a family plan with my cousin on att. We'll see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    going home to get my pre3 in a few hours! :-)

I just have to decide what I want to do. I right jump on a family plan with my cousin on att. We'll see what happens.
    Just got mine and activated on the Go!Plan with ATT before signing the 2 yr deal to test it out. Such a perfect phone and such a shame the ONLY way to achieve H+ appears to be ON CONTRACT. No way around it. Unless I'm missing something here, you have to sign up for a 2 yr deal with ATT to get the speed and it's capped depending on what you pay for. Even if I used H2O it would be $120 for 2 phones and capped as well. Might as well go with ATT family plan. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    it may or may not. his account might need to be provisioned for 4G.
    If I borrowed a friend's SIM, put it in the Pre 3, call ATT customer service and provision it, then give it back to him and use an H2O card, will that give me H+ off contract?
    No, I got H+ from my H2O SIM with nothing else needed, just putting it in my Veer and entering the APN settings on the H2O page.

Again, they throttle the speeds though, so even showing the H+ doesn't mean too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, I got H+ from my H2O SIM with nothing else needed, just putting it in my Veer and entering the APN settings on the H2O page.

Again, they throttle the speeds though, so even showing the H+ doesn't mean too much.
    Good to know, thanks. The other part of this is that according to ATT my Pre 3 stays locked to them for 6 months from activation. I never got an unlock code from my ebay seller. Does this mean I can just plug in an H20 SIM and it will work with those settings (APN settings on H20 home page) or does my ebay ATT Pre 3 need to be unlocked first? Any advice appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Just got mine and activated on the Go!Plan with ATT before signing the 2 yr deal to test it out. Such a perfect phone and such a shame the ONLY way to achieve H+ appears to be ON CONTRACT. No way around it. Unless I'm missing something here, you have to sign up for a 2 yr deal with ATT to get the speed and it's capped depending on what you pay for. Even if I used H2O it would be $120 for 2 phones and capped as well. Might as well go with ATT family plan. Ugh.
    I have an AT&T Pre3, using it on AT&T, no contract, getting AMAZING H+ speeds. It's called a post paid account. Just go into any AT&T store and have them set you up with post paid. It's going to be $65-$85 per month but you have no contract and they just send you a bill every month. You don't want to do GoPhone because it's limited to 500mb and I believe it's 3G only. I am on day 5 now using it and it's been great so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I have an AT&T Pre3, using it on AT&T, no contract, getting AMAZING H+ speeds. It's called a post paid account. Just go into any AT&T store and have them set you up with post paid. It's going to be $65-$85 per month but you have no contract and they just send you a bill every month. You don't want to do GoPhone because it's limited to 500mb and I believe it's 3G only. I am on day 5 now using it and it's been great so far.
    I've asked ATT reps/customer service I don't know how many ways and every single time they tell me the ONLY WAY to get H+ is ON CONTRACT. They all seem to think I'm asking for 4G, which of course I'm not. I'll head into the ATT store AGAIN & ask AGAIN & see what happens. Thanks!
    Ive been getting HSPA+ speeds on my Veer, no contract (thank you firesale)..
    I posted in the thread earlier about my h2o use. Been on for about a week. Just wanted to confirm, that my usage has been heavier than normal as I test out the plan. That said they seem to have dropped me to Edge speeds. We'll see what happens when my month is up.
    i'm sorry to say guys that I won't be able to do the testing of Red Pocket or H2O like I said I was. I was able to get added to my cousins family plan. Paying 35 dollars a month with no contract on a family plan with H+. Couldn't pass it up.
    My result is around 3100kbps on average, using mobilespeedtest.com. What is everyone else using to test?
    i'm loving this.....

Tested out ATT H+ with a friend's SIM & results not impressive (using netSpeed App) got avg speed of 128KB/s, Bandwidth of 1024kbps & top speed of 187KB/s. Higher results with 3G. Testing isn't too convenient cuz it's not my SIM, but if this is what I can expect on ATT around here... Why bother? I can't get H+ without signing a contract either, no matter who I ask (store rep, ATT customer service). They all say "pay as you go" is the same as "Go! Plan" and H+ is not available unless I sign a contract. Gonna give H2O a try on my backup Pre 3 I purchased on ebay when it arrives. Supposedly unlocked... I might swap SIM's back and forth between devices just to see what happens. BTW 952KBs using 3G just now.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast