Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    simple mobile uses mobile freqs. Only edge speeds that way. Horribly slow.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Also, i'm very new to these different MVNO companies. why is H2O better than say Simple Mobile?

SIMPLE Mobile | Unlimited Cell Phone Plans
    ah, ok. what about Red Pocket? i'm currently in a chat with them trying to dig up some info.
    from Red Pocket, got a CS person on chat instantly and very friendly.

Please wait for a site operator to respond...

Operator Myla has joined the chat.

The visitor has set the name as "Jon".

Jon: hi

Myla: Hello!

Jon: i've been checking out many of the MVNO companies that are available. i'm currently a Sprint customer and i am in a sitauation where i will be getting a new phone that i really love but it is GSM. i dont want to be locked into a contract. what sets Red Pocket apart from other companies like H20 Mobile and Simple Mobile?

Myla: Red Pocket Mobile SIM cards work in any unlocked GSM phone that works in the United States. We offer the most amazing rates for domestic and international calls.

Myla: And we use AT&T network - the largest and most reliable digital wireless network in the United States.

Jon: i have heard of some cases where MVNO companies throttle data speeds for their customers or terminate data if they use too much data on their unlimited plans. but i see that you guys have a cap at 2 gigs. will i ever be throttled or have my data turned off if i stay under my 2 gig limit?

Myla: Yes, of course. Because you have a 2GB limit, you'll be able to use data until it is all consumed.

Jon: and as far as throttling goes, will i get the same 4G speeds on my phone that i would on ATT's network on their plans? i want to take full advantage of my 4G phone.

Myla: Yes, you should.

Jon: i should or i will? lol.

Myla: You will.

Jon: awesome, thank you.

Myla: But please note that the data plan is not guaranteed to work on iPhones and Blackberrys, in case you have one. But most customers are able to configure and have the accounts working.

Myla: You are most welcome.

Jon: i will have an unlocked ATT HP Pre3

Jon: should that work?

Myla: Yes, it should.

Jon: ok great.

Jon: thank you for your time, much bettter customer service than H20 mobile for sure.

Myla: Thank you for considering Red Pocket Mobile. We look forward to serving you soon.

Jon: thanks
    What happens when you run over your 2gb?
    thats a good question, i'm actually in another chat, i'll find out.
    i think it just stops.

EDIT:

yep, it just stops.
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 10/12/2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Heres some more information about Red Pocket. I found something in the Terms Of Service that made me question but she reassured me.

heres the conversation again, might help someone:

Please wait for a site operator to respond...

There is no response from the operator side. Do you want to switch to offline message form?

Operator Myla has joined the chat.

Jon: hey Myla, its me again, i had a quick question.

Myla: Hi.

Jon: i use twitter and i get messages sent to my phone by important things that i follow, am i allowed to do that on Red Pockets network?

Jon: through sms i should add

Myla: I am not sure via SMS.

Jon: because i read this

Jon: UNLIMITED Text Services. UNLIMITED DOES NOT MEAN UNREASONABLE USE. UNLIMITED text services are provided solely for live messaging purposes between two individuals. UNLIMITED text services may not be used for Premium SMS which utilizes short codes, SMS chat programs, monitoring services, data transmissions, or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live messaging purposes between two individuals. If Red Pocket finds that you are using an UNLIM ITED text service offering for anything other than live messaging purposes between two individuals, Red Pocket may at its option terminate your service or change your plan to one with no UNLIMITED usage components. Red Pocket will provi de notice that it intends to take any of the above actions, and you may terminate the service. Text messages are limited to 160 characters per message. Premium text messages are NOT permitted under UNLIMITED Text Services. Red Pocket Mo bile UNLIMITED currently supports international text messaging. Red Pocket does not guarantee delivery of messages and reserves the right to change this offer as needed without notification. Text messages, including downloaded conten t, not delivered within 7 days will be deleted. Red Pocket reserves the right to change this delivery period as needed without notification. You are charged for each part of messages that are delivered to you in multiple parts. When a s ingle message is sent to multiple recipients, the sender is charged for one message for each recipient and each recipient is charged for the message received.

Myla: But I think you should recevie it if you set it up with your Twitter account.

Jon: but would red pocket stop me from using this service?

Myla: We'll have to confirm that yet.

Jon: is there someone you can ask to find out? its kindof silly that they would limit texting. its such a basic thing.

Myla: If you have an email address, I will let you know of the reply to your query.

Jon: *******@******

Myla: Thanks.

Jon: thank you.

Jon: are there any other limitations like this i nthe fine print of the terms of service that i should be worried about? being honest with me. lol.

Myla: Okay, you will receive an advice via text when you have reached about 6000 minutes in the 30-day period, and then your account MAY be disconnected when it reaches more than 10000 text messages.

Jon: oh wow, i dont think i've gone over 5000. lol. so think i should be fine with that. your very informative and helpful, one last small question

Jon: if i were to hit the 2 gig max, would data just stop? what happens?

Myla: You won't be able to connect.

Myla: You may just purchase additional data MB refill as needed. It is available for $10 - 10 MB, and $25 - 25 MB.

Jon: data wise? i'd still be able to call and text though right?

Myla: Yes. Only data features will be affected.

Jon: will the data stop or automatically charge me for more data?

Myla: It will not charge you but just stop.

Jon: ok great.

Jon: i just wanted to be sure. thanks for all your help, again.

Myla: You are always welcome.
    wow... 1$ per MB... thatd be REALLY expensive if you use a lot of data like i do (10 or so GB)
    thats why its a good thing your not automatically charged. i use so much wifi that i could easily stay under 2 gigs.
    This sounds promising. What do they charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    This sounds promising. What do they charge?
    I assume you mean Red Pocket not H2O?

Here's both just in case:

Go Red Pocket - Plans

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageC...php?page=plans

i am really interested in going to Red Pocket with my Pre3 that should get here this week. If i do decide to do it, I'll comment about how easy or hard it was to get everything going and what i like and don't like.
    I assume you mean Red Pocket not H2O?

Here's both just in case:

[url= Red Pocket - Plans[/url]

[url]

i am really interested in going to Red Pocket with my Pre3 that should get here this week. If i do decide to do it, I'll comment about how easy or hard it was to get everything going and what i like and don't like.
    Thanks for all the great info. You basically did exactly what I'd be doing later tonight. I look forward to reading your future posts. I will be checking in back here with my own saga as well
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Thanks for all the great info. You basically did exactly what I'd be doing later tonight. I look forward to reading your future posts. I will be checking in back here with my own saga as well
    your welcome!
    I'd say stop the analysis paralysis and just go ahead and do it. If you don't like it, just move onto the next carrier. That's the great thing with no-contract pre-paid, right? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I'd say stop the analysis paralysis and just go ahead and do it. If you don't like it, just move onto the next carrier. That's the great thing with no-contract pre-paid, right? ;-)
    agreed. I will when my pre3 arrives. :-)
  15.    #55  
    Great Job bf5! If it gives 4g speeds and ends up better than H2O, I will switch as well. I stick close to wifi for the most part except on weekends and I think 2GB is plenty for me.

I was just testing H2O and so far it's ok, but could be a lot better. Still similar to Sprint, except for service, but just having my Pre3 makes it bearable.

Good luck with Red Pocket and I will be looking forward to reading up on your thoughts about it.
    thanks, not sure how fast i will be acting on all this (even though when i get my Pre3 i wont be able to resist! lol) because i'm going through midterms and such, but i'll get on it as quickly as i can.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    great discussion and information in this thread. I just ordered a new pre 3 off ebay for a great price and am deciding which prepaid service I want to sign up for when it arrives and this thread has been a huge help. Simple mobile plan seems like the best for $60 unlimited everything with 4g. I checked if I have 4g coverage in my area and I do so it would make the most sense if what they are advertising is true. Can't wait till I get my new pre 3!
    Before you guys switch to Red Pocket, here are my views

I recently jumped from H2o to red pocket when i learned that they offer 2G at 4G speeds, However the speed is not 4G. They are still limited to the Speed that ATT offers to all MVNO's. For comparison, I still have an H2O unlimited and speed comparisons are almost always identical. Sometimes, and only sometimes the Red Pocket does have an initial Speed burst then slows down quite a bit.

So in my opinion, since I won't be using any more than 2G, I would still go back to H2o, but the following additional benefits from H2o that are missing from red pocket

You cannot Dial TOLL FREE numbers from RED Pocket.

You only get $2 for INTL Calls, H20 gives you $20, comes in handy sometimes.

Supposedly H20 is back on with INTL text, though I never got it to work.

Customer service seems to be better with H20.

For me the big killer is no Toll Free numbers and for some reason I cant even call 611 from the Pre 3, so I am back to H20 or may consider ATT post paid for the high speed on the Pre3 4G sets

Oh In a recent email to Red Pocket CS, in response to the 4G speeds, they mentioned they are limited to the same speeds as the GoPhone from ATT so i guess since GoPhone doesn't have 4G, we are really getting only 3G speeds even though label it 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by ameetmedi View Post

You cannot Dial TOLL FREE numbers from RED Pocket.

I'll look into this for myself. seems kinda strange that they would limit this.

You only get $2 for INTL Calls, H20 gives you $20, comes in handy sometimes.

Right now with Red Pocket you get 200 International Roll Over minutes "* Up to 200 Minutes FREE International Long Distance (depending on destination)"

Customer service seems to be better with H20.

I have had the exact opposite experience, as you can tell from my previous posts.
    I hope the Toll Free number thing isn't true but we'll see. Do you have any links that you could share that say that? or any text from their TOS?
    I hope the Toll Free number thing isn't true but we'll see. Do you have any links that you could share that say that? or any text from their TOS?
    Here is a link at Howard Forums that discusses this

Att mvno Red Pocket launches $60 unlimited talk/text/2 gig data/200 intl min plan

Regarding the Speed..

All network providers' 3G or 4G speed depend on coverage. Red Pocket Mobile uses AT&T network - the largest and most reliable digital wireless network in the United States. Our use of the AT&T network is as good as any AT&T Prepaid phone would be. However, as with all wireless service providers, wireless network coverage varies by area.

Also from their Own CS signature, Notice.. how they say dial Their Toll Free number from a Land Line

Yours sincerely,

Red Pocket Mobile Customer Service
    Toll Free: 611 from any Red Pocket Mobile Phone
    Toll Free: 1-888-993-3888 from any landline phone
    Email: cs@redpocketmobile.com
    Online at: Red Pocket Unlimited

IN addition 611 doesn't work for ME on Red Pocket or H20 for that matter
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast