Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
  1.    #1  
    It seemed Very harsh to me, though I have to admit holding a Pre3 in my hand is but a dream.

If I am not remembering incorrectly the Pre3 has an autofocus camera, not the extended depth of field Engadget quotes it as having.

Keyboard Size. I dont know about you but I much prefer my original Pre's keyboard to ANY vitural keyboard I have ever used on ANY phone. I have to believe the Pre3's is bigger and hence better.

Lack of Home buttons. Yeah, I much prefer swiping up from the gesture area than having to tap on a button.

Said they liked the fact that they could hold it up to their face and not have it eclipse it, but wanted a still wanted a bigger screen.

Screen was good, good colors and viewing angle etc. Phone call quality was great.

The Phone is the same as the original Pre. Hardly in my opinion the pre3 looks to have come miles from that original

So basically what I took away from this is an almost alright phone but its rubbish as its not android. Am I completely wrong? Is the phone as bad as they are saying it is? Does it really not compete? Am I wrong in lusting over this phone?
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Engadget has a bottom line as they are a private company.

They aren't going to praise a phone that they know will never come out, but rather praise other Android phones that they know will sell well and then they can run ads for on their site.
    Bokal likes this.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Worst review ever period. we need a real tech site to do a review.
    It's not the worst review ever. They do seem to be really used to how Android does things and don't quite click well with webOS though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Engadget has a bottom line as they are a private company.

They aren't going to praise a phone that they know will never come out, but rather praise other Android phones that they know will sell well and then they can run ads for on their site.
    Oh really? Look at the EVO 3D review. The phone wasn't anything special to them and that phone is special to them.
    They really didn't care for it.The entire review was saying that the Pre3 would never have been a success as it fails in comparison to Android and ios devices. They started to sound like Gizmodo there, pretty sad.
    Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > Pre- > Pixi > Franken Pre2 >
    TouchPad 32gb
    The reviewer had too many of his own biases and couldn't tell he had them. This rookie crop of writers that Engadget got to replace the old timers really needs some coaching.

He wanted buttons on a WebOS phone. Come on...
    SmartFah and JustJC like this.
    To be fair webOS doesn't have anything going for it except for a nice task manager. The OS isn't growing, it's buggy, no virtual keyboard for some unknown reason, etc...

I think Engadget's view on webOS and the Pre 3 is what the majority of peoples view are. They are tired of the same form factor and boring experience.
    barkerja and StuckwVerizon like this.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I wonder what some of those complaints were about, particularly the Gmail sync ones-- I haven't dumped my Pre- yet, and I was seeing that both devices were getting incoming Gmail just fine-- and ALWAYS before the web page updated.
    This was a terrible review. As an owner of an iPhone 4, BB 9930, Pre 3, and Evo 3D, I can say with confidence that the overall experience (all things included - app support, device hardware, OS/software), the Pre 3 offers the second best user experience.

My personal preference is webOS from an OS standpoint but the lack of app support is really a downer there. My ranks for overall experience are as follows:

1. iPhone 4 - Impeccable hardware, great app support, seamless (but boring) UI. I really have no complaints about the iPhone experience.
    2. Pre 3 - WebOS has it all; integration of everything into synergy and a bunch of included messaging/social networking apps included as part of the default . Pre 3 is some really great hardware too, albeit not "specced" out. Lack of onscreen keyboard is definitely a bummer. It's annoying having to slide it out for every little thing I want to type.
    3. BB 9930 - Touch screen is a huge plus for the BB form factor. I didn't think it would be Keyboard is fantastic too. I can use it all day long and type practically as fast as on a regular PC keyboard. BB OS is still BB OS but 7 is pretty fluid and crisp. The Bold's hardware is beautiful though. Lack of app support is a bummer as well.
    4. Evo 3D - Specced out beyond belief. 3D screen is actually pretty cool for pictures and stuff but otherwise it's kind of useless. The Evo 3D got a bad wrap in the reviews but it's not too bad. A bit bulky from a hardware perspective. Android is simply underwhelming. It's a pauper's iOS; with some aspects of webOS copied but not perfected like in webOS. App support is almost as good as iOS though but overall I don't see why anyone would get a Droid over an iPhone. No discernible plusses really.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Pre 3 for AT&T review -- Engadget

Engadget just posted their review of the Pre 3. What's unbelievable to me is how HP, with all of their power in the PC market, couldn't translate that into jack @#%$ on the mobile hardware side of things. Even with a 1.4 Ghz processor the Engadget editors STILL complained of lag, slow software and as always a lack of apps. However, reading the review gives me hope that HP can someday turn it around. I would definitely have been a purchaser of this unit Day 1 as I know many of you would have been. Enjoy the review everybody! Have a great weekend.

- John
    The Engadget review apppeared to be, at times, tainted by the reviewer's preference (or familiarity) with Android - lets face it, when he started to talk about how he "wished there were buttons on the bottom of the device", it was REALLY clear that he had no real objectivity to provide - he even said he was looking to press the bottom button to go back to the home screen...

LOL.

So, his thoughts on WebOS are, well, just his thoughts, and not Engadget's.

He had some nice things to say about the hardware, but, again, being an Android dude, which has a new, spec-topping device come out every other day, he saw the design of the Pre 3 as a "nice fit in the hand" but, "nothing innovative".

He ragged on the camera, but, for the life of me (and, for the record, digital art of all kinds is something I know quite a bit about), I couldnt see what he was talking about - the camera video and pictures were as good as any Ive seen on any other camera - I guess some people like to say things like this to make it appear like they have some special sensitivity or something.. like a finer taste.

In the end, it just appeared that he had given up on the Pre 3 even before he reviewed it (maybe it was a review assignement he didnt want - it sure appeared that way), and then took it upon himself to claim WebOS dead - that kinda says it all to me.

HP isnt going to be buying ad space on Engadget for the Pre 3, so, I guess its more efficient for them to "like" Android and WM and iOS devices and peripherals.

Gotta take it from where it comes, and treat it accoordingly.

From what I SAW in the videos, it looked quite fast and elegant.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    The reviewer had too many of his own biases and couldn't tell he had them. This rookie crop of writers that Engadget got to replace the old timers really needs some coaching.

He wanted buttons on a WebOS phone. Come on...
    ...weak review with poor perspective, but Darren Murph is no rookie:

Engadget's Darren Murph nabs Guinness World Record for most blog posts ever written! -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    ...weak review with poor perspective, but Darren Murph is no rookie:

Engadget's Darren Murph nabs Guinness World Record for most blog posts ever written! -- Engadget
    What a tool...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    kar1179 likes this.
    I don't get it.

Every webOS product has been either poorly reviewed or considered average at best. Yet everyone is always so quick to look for biases or minor errors that somehow invalidate entire reviews when the tech community almost unanimously agrees that webOS devices (from the Pre to the Pixi to the Veer to the TouchPad to the Pre 3) just aren't that great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't get it.

Every webOS product has been either poorly reviewed or considered average at best. Yet everyone is always so quick to look for biases or minor errors that somehow invalidate entire reviews when the tech community almost unanimously agrees that webOS devices (from the Pre to the Pixi to the Veer to the TouchPad to the Pre 3) just aren't that great.
    Yes there are flaws, yes there are valid reasons why the majority prefer different OSes and different phones. I agree! I would only recommend this phone under very specific circumstances (you can put up with manual tweaking, few apps etc etc), but to be a reviewer on a tech site and to basically say 'this is a bad phone because the OS is not enough like android and I don't like portrait sliders' is pretty weak.

The form factor is hardly more tired or lacking in innovation than the hundreds of huge slab phones on the market

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Andyf; 09/26/2011 at 01:53 AM.
    sara.ramli likes this.
    I don't have a Pre3 so I can't speak from my own experiences. But on this week's TIMN podcast, they go in depth about all the craziness going on at HP, which inevitably becomes a webOS/Pre3 discussion. Topolskly (whom I respect as a gadget journalist) says, as much as he wants to like and use pre3 (he had one right beside him), it's so very half baked and not ready... I give a fair amount of weight to his opinions esp he's an admitted webOS fan.
    Don't forget people turned on Josh after he (rightfully) tore the Veer apart.
    I thought the review was fair. Very fair. It basically said the Pre3 has a nice design but not revolutionary. It said Webos is great but needs beefier hardware. And it's sad HP is giving up on WebOS.

I thought it was fair.
    Puzzlegal and ADGrant like this.
    I think his point is that even though pre hardware build improves with every iteration it's still the same old same old. Moreover, the software is only incrementally different/better/faster than the original (if that). After 2+ years the public expects more than some relatively small tweaks and a slightly larger screen. I think the review was fair from the perspective of someone that's not a fan...

Perhaps the OS division was preoccupied with the effort of moving to the new developer platform. Understandably, they get no credit from the public for transparent architectural changes.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    sara.ramli and JustJC like this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast