Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 91 of 91
Like Tree66Likes
  1. #81  
    One thing, I've noticed not just the review here, but a fair few people on the forums complain about lag and delays and unresponsive screen on the pre3.

    I've not had this at all. My touchpad is laggy as hell, even at 1.5Ghz (I think mostly because the browser is rubbish), and I'd be luke warm on webOS on the basis of it, were it not for my experience with the Pre3, which is pretty much always smooth as silk.

    I actually prefer to look up stuff and browse on my pre3 and using TTS to put specific pages onto the touchpad.


    Anyway back to the point, I don't get all of these 'slow' and 'laggy' and 'doesn't manage to make use of the OP processor' complaints. I really find it as smooth and polished as an iOS device. Does no one else find this?
    dadueler likes this.
  2. giggles's Avatar
    Posts
    677 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #82  
    ^ What im saying my pre2 isnt slow and laggy at all quite smooth.
    dadueler likes this.
  3. #83  
    My Pre 3 just arrived today. Mine is QWERTZ German version. Thanks to someone out there helping me bought this.
    My first tought about this phone is it has good build quality, everything not feel cheap at all, rubber surround the back cover really good on hand, and the slider quite solid.

    One thing I noticed easily that Engadget review not correct is about the keyboard. It is very good keyboard, click feel, and size really good. I can say as good as my tiny Veer.
    I'm quite sure the keyboard better then on Blackberry, even I haven't tried all kind of BB, but if I compared with BB Style 9670, or cheaper Blackberry, I still prefer keyboard on Pre 3.

    Screen quality very good, but sensor light really as bad as on Veer, it dim and bright really randomly even I use it same at position of lighting.

    Performance quite good, but still some slow down & unresponsive easily noticed, especially when I run preware and then open other app.

    Camera focus really quick, but yes the quality is standard, I can't say it is bad because even 8Mpx on HTC EVO 3D and Moto Droid X2 have quite same quality in indoor area. I will try outdoor tomorrow.

    Battery life on Pre 3 about par with Veer, or maybe a bit worse. I use it quite heavy for first time use due lots of internet connection needed, 100%-33% only pass 6 hours. I'm not too surprise with this.. because since Pre-, Pre+, Veer and now Pre 3.. I never have good battery life on those device. Hopefully Mugen can make a battery with quite bigger capacity without add thickness.

    Heat issue... this is still a "normal" problem I found on Pre series including Veer. Using internet quite heavy (not download), temperature always hit 38-40c. Really not too comfortable on hand. But.. I can't say this is a big drawback.. because I found many Android phone including iPhone 4 have this same kind of heat issue.

    Main drawback so far is patches on Preware. Lots of my favorite patches not available on Pre 3. I hope homebrew devs can have Pre 3 then update all their patches for it.

    I will add some comment later if I found significant pros or cons about Pre 3.

    So far I love Pre 3, but personally Veer still appeal to me, because I found my white Veer still has its own beauty in its small size
    dadueler likes this.
  4. #84  
    I was very surprised with the AT&T Pre 3... This phone, I must say, is a beauty. I had the Pre- and there is no comparison. The pre 3 hardware is great. The keyboard is the best keyboard I have tried on a mobile phone. I have used a blackberry and it doesn't compare. The build of the phone is sturdy and does not feel cheap at all. I have read in the forum that many users have experienced lag but I have been using it for several hours and have not experienced none. The camera is the best camera yet on a webOS device. I wish it had zoom. Does the camera compare to the iphone 4...no but it gets the job done. The battery life issue seems comes with every webOS phone. I have actually been getting pretty good battery life because I have been using my TP to receive text and phone calls . The screen is gorgeous! I can not tell the difference from the iPhone 4 retina display. This screen shows off the beauty of webOS. HSPAplus works great on the phone and call quality is the best I have experienced on the AT&T network. Will I recommend this phone... I would to a webOS lover and a techie... Many people will be turned off by the lack of apps and maybe lack of updates. I for one am happy. Find out for yourself and experience the Pre 3...you will not regret it.
    dadueler likes this.
  5. #85  
    I bought the azerty Pre 3 from eurostore for my wife. I bought the TP before and she loved it - so easy to use - so I asked her if she wanted a phone that is working the same way and she said yes.
    I received the Pre 3 a week ago and it is a great phone. Coming from Nokia E series, the buuild quality of Pre is fine but not on par with Nokia. Camera is so so, not the best seen on a phone - but impressively fast and intuitive. Keyboard felt too plasticky at the beginning, but this is actually great for typing with nails, so no complains at all. No lag experienced, even if I underclocked to 1GHz for better battery life - runs still smooth like butter.
    I love everything about this phone.... I fell in love with WebOS when it is on the brim of death
    dadueler likes this.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't get it.

    Every webOS product has been either poorly reviewed or considered average at best. Yet everyone is always so quick to look for biases or minor errors that somehow invalidate entire reviews when the tech community almost unanimously agrees that webOS devices (from the Pre to the Pixi to the Veer to the TouchPad to the Pre 3) just aren't that great.
    I disagree that these reviews simply indicate that any of these devices "just aren't that great." The complaints in these reviews are a bit unfounded. One of the main complaints in the Pre3 review is that the physical keyboard is a pain because you have to slide it out and press the buttons. The review states that "we found ourselves longing for a virtual counterpart." No, there is no virtual keyboard out of the box (although it can be enabled on the device).

    Why exactly is the Pre3's lack of a virtual keyboard any more of a legitimate complaint than the Iphone or respective Android devices lack of physical keyboards? You don't see any reviews stating the Iphones' lack of a physical keyboard as a complaint.

    I am a also a bit confused as to how the lack of a home, search, menu, back, or any other buttons is even remotely relevant to a webOS device. One press on the center of the swipe bar and you are in card view...this would be considered your home screen. Swipe up from the bottom at any point and you have access to the launcher icons including the menu. Swipe back goes back. Swipe forward goes forward. And typing anything at pretty much any point allows a complete search of virtually anything along with various other tasks (Just Type is fantastic on webOS 2.X+).

    My point is that these reviews are no longer unbiased views on the usability and functionality of a device. The reviews are now based on how a device compares to a small handful of other devices in the market. I can sum that review up in just a few short sentences. The webOS devices do not easily compare to the Iphone or any of the most popular Android devices. The interface and OS are completely different. They have a physical keyboard and although they have a responsive and functional touchscreen, the interface does not force the user to rely 100% on just the touchscreen. The interface of the OS is intuitive and task management is extremely simple. The webOS devices are a great option for anyone who has grown tired of living with the same monotonous form factors with the same limitations that have flooded the market in the past few years.
    dadueler likes this.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    I disagree that these reviews simply indicate that any of these devices "just aren't that great." The complaints in these reviews are a bit unfounded. One of the main complaints in the Pre3 review is that the physical keyboard is a pain because you have to slide it out and press the buttons. The review states that "we found ourselves longing for a virtual counterpart." No, there is no virtual keyboard out of the box (although it can be enabled on the device).
    wait, I have a Pre3 how do you enable the virtual keyboard? I used to be able to do this on 2.0, but the patch for that hasn't worked in a long time...
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    wait, I have a Pre3 how do you enable the virtual keyboard? I used to be able to do this on 2.0, but the patch for that hasn't worked in a long time...
    You don't. You use the hardware keyboard because webOS doesn't need virtual keyboards. They are below webOS.
    dadueler likes this.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    One thing, I've noticed not just the review here, but a fair few people on the forums complain about lag and delays and unresponsive screen on the pre3.

    I've not had this at all. My touchpad is laggy as hell, even at 1.5Ghz (I think mostly because the browser is rubbish), and I'd be luke warm on webOS on the basis of it, were it not for my experience with the Pre3, which is pretty much always smooth as silk.

    I actually prefer to look up stuff and browse on my pre3 and using TTS to put specific pages onto the touchpad.


    Anyway back to the point, I don't get all of these 'slow' and 'laggy' and 'doesn't manage to make use of the OP processor' complaints. I really find it as smooth and polished as an iOS device. Does no one else find this?
    I am with you 100% about the Pre 3. Got mine hooked up yesterday and all I can say is wow! EVERYTHING about it as an average user is on point, as smooth as I wish my tpad could be.

    also, comparing it to my brothers htc droid and a friends iphone 4, this thing is a serious BEAST, and I am running it stock
  10. #90  
    Brilliant analysis! Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticalman2 View Post
    I disagree that these reviews simply indicate that any of these devices "just aren't that great." The complaints in these reviews are a bit unfounded. One of the main complaints in the Pre3 review is that the physical keyboard is a pain because you have to slide it out and press the buttons. The review states that "we found ourselves longing for a virtual counterpart." No, there is no virtual keyboard out of the box (although it can be enabled on the device).

    Why exactly is the Pre3's lack of a virtual keyboard any more of a legitimate complaint than the Iphone or respective Android devices lack of physical keyboards? You don't see any reviews stating the Iphones' lack of a physical keyboard as a complaint.

    I am a also a bit confused as to how the lack of a home, search, menu, back, or any other buttons is even remotely relevant to a webOS device. One press on the center of the swipe bar and you are in card view...this would be considered your home screen. Swipe up from the bottom at any point and you have access to the launcher icons including the menu. Swipe back goes back. Swipe forward goes forward. And typing anything at pretty much any point allows a complete search of virtually anything along with various other tasks (Just Type is fantastic on webOS 2.X+).

    My point is that these reviews are no longer unbiased views on the usability and functionality of a device. The reviews are now based on how a device compares to a small handful of other devices in the market. I can sum that review up in just a few short sentences. The webOS devices do not easily compare to the Iphone or any of the most popular Android devices. The interface and OS are completely different. They have a physical keyboard and although they have a responsive and functional touchscreen, the interface does not force the user to rely 100% on just the touchscreen. The interface of the OS is intuitive and task management is extremely simple. The webOS devices are a great option for anyone who has grown tired of living with the same monotonous form factors with the same limitations that have flooded the market in the past few years.
  11. #91  
    why is everyone complaining about the lack of apps? I've just come from android and have seen the market grow from 10,000 apps to the large figure it is today; and despite all this, I do not notice the difference in number of apps as others seem to do. I can't help but being overwhelmed by the number of apps on the catalogue after all people seemed to talk about before I bought the phone was that there were very few apps.
    I don't go around installing hundreds of apps on my android phone, and if you don't, then you probably won't notice much difference. I only ever installed the best games and the most useful apps, and I can do exactly that on my Pre3... I don't see what everyone's complaining about.

    As for the review, I thought it was particularly vicious...

    - The camera is actually very good, the phone is brilliantly fast (maybe that's because I've been using a horrid (utterly brilliant) HTC Hero for the past 2 years),
    - the keyboard is very large and the predictive text is perfect, not too intense and not too vague (in fact, I'm writing this on the phone right now and it's working brilliantly),
    - the screen is almost the perfect size (I think that 4" is way too big for a phone, and 3.2" (my HTC Hero) was too small. It has always annoyed me when manufacturers put out massive 4.3" screens on their newest phones, Apple, who were once praised for picking a good size screen, are going the same way also...),
    - the gestures area takes a little getting used too, but I do think it's a brilliant solution to the problem of buttons.

    As you probably realised if you bothered to read this wall of text, I adore this phone, and think Engadget were extremely harsh.
    Last edited by andyt95; 10/01/2011 at 06:57 AM.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions