Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
    Ok, I read the engadget review, and I think it's pretty fair.
    Nothing really annoyed me except the below which I just feel is pure personal preference coming from a seasoned Android user.

"We also couldn't help but longing for a button or two on each side of the middle gesture area -- sure, we're spoiled by the home, menu, search and back buttons that have become commonplace on Android handsets, but keeping up with the Joneses should probably apply to more than just lake houses and motorcars. We also found it frustrating that we couldn't activate the display with a long-press on the gesture pad; reaching for the power button is awkward at best (the location, that is), and sliding the keyboard out wasn't always preferred."

Missing search button? That's what Just Type is for. Long presses preferred (ugh!) and dn't wan't to press power button to awaken? (I like doing this) Don't want to open the slider? I'm so thankful pre has a slider.

But besides those, I found the article informative and well-written. There are plenty of praises and hopeful words for our ill-fated device too.
    engadget >> apple fan.

enough said.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    The reviewer had too many of his own biases and couldn't tell he had them. This rookie crop of writers that Engadget got to replace the old timers really needs some coaching.

He wanted buttons on a WebOS phone. Come on...
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Ok, I read the engadget review, and I think it's pretty fair.
    Nothing really annoyed me except the below which I just feel is pure personal preference coming from a seasoned Android user.

"We also couldn't help but longing for a button or two on each side of the middle gesture area -- sure, we're spoiled by the home, menu, search and back buttons that have become commonplace on Android handsets, but keeping up with the Joneses should probably apply to more than just lake houses and motorcars. We also found it frustrating that we couldn't activate the display with a long-press on the gesture pad; reaching for the power button is awkward at best (the location, that is), and sliding the keyboard out wasn't always preferred."

Missing search button? That's what Just Type is for. Long presses preferred (ugh!) and dn't wan't to press power button to awaken? (I like doing this) Don't want to open the slider? I'm so thankful pre has a slider.

But besides those, I found the article informative and well-written. There are plenty of praises and hopeful words for our ill-fated device too.
    He left out a fair bit if we're honest. As I commented on Disqus at engadget.com:

A stack of innovations that are not found together on any other device (or not at all) are simply not discussed. I wonder why?
    JustJC likes this.
    Thank baby jesus none of you listen to the Thisismynext podcast. They are the guys who left engadget. Joshua Topolsky, who loved WebOS, tore it apart. This was his quote on the Pre3:

"I have to tell you, I am not going to lie to you guys. I have a Pre3 sitting next to me right now. Fully functioning Pre3 and I have been, I have been sort of working on a . . kinda working on a review of it, but not fully committed to even doing the review because I don't know what it means. But I have been using it with a different SIM, not my SIM and I have been thinking about putting my SIM in it and let me tell you the phone is so not finished and not modern that I have like hesitated to put my SIM in, because I can't imagine a day with the Pre3 where I won't want to throw it against the wall."

Brutal.
    Last edited by muyoso; 09/24/2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Thank baby jesus none of you listen to the Thisismynext podcast. They are the guys who left engadget. Joshua Topolsky, who loved WebOS, tore it apart. This was his quote on the Pre3:

"I have to tell you, I am not going to lie to you guys. I have a Pre3 sitting next to me right now. Fully functioning Pre3 and I have been, I have been sort of working on a . . kinda working on a review of it, but not fully committed to even doing the review because I don't know what it means. But I have been using it with different SIM, not my SIM and I have been thinking about putting my SIM in it and let me tell you the phone is so not finished and not modern that I have like hesitated to put my SIM in, because I can't imagine a day with the Pre3 where I won't want to throw it against the wall."

Brutal.
    Yea, I heard it. I was going to make a thread about it, but things probably would have gotten out of hand here on Precentral.
    Yes, it's a horrible review, yes they messed up, yes engadget sucks, no I'm not going to waste any more time on it than it took me to read it and make this post.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Engadget snagged an AT&T Pre 3, here is there review. Those of you who have a Pre 3 (UK or USA) chime in.

Pre 3 for AT&T review -- Engadget
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ely-harsh.html

There is already a 2 page thread about their review.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Yes, it's a horrible review, yes they messed up, yes engadget sucks, no I'm not going to waste any more time on it than it took me to read it and make this post.
    It's a horrible review? Most reviews of any webOS device are generally negative. Especially when talking about the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post
    It's a horrible review? Most reviews of any webOS device are generally negative. Especially when talking about the hardware.
    It's factually incorrect, and they don't talk about hardly every single key feature of webOS.

I wouldn't call it a negative review, as a matter of fact I wouldn't even call it a review. I'd call it a giant piece of garbage that someone wrote, and now exists.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Jake_M and JustJC like this.
    It's factually incorrect, and they don't talk about hardly every single key feature of webOS.

I wouldn't call it a negative review, as a matter of fact I wouldn't even call it a review. I'd call it a giant piece of garbage that someone wrote, and now exists.
    I absolutely agree with this. It's not a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    JustJC likes this.
    To be fair, the Pre 3 isn't exactly a product.
    morrison0880 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    To be fair, the Pre 3 isn't exactly a product.
    An item in a box with a manual and a warranty that is sold by a corporation is not a product?

I do believe that greatly exceeds the qualifications of a product.

prod∑uct Noun/ˈprprprš$d$&#$601$;$kt$/

1. An article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale.

Question: Can you purchase a Pre 3?
    Answer: Yes.

<threads merged>
    An item in a box with a manual and a warranty that is sold by a corporation is not a product?

I do believe that greatly exceeds the qualifications of a product.

prod∑uct Noun/ˈprprprš$d$&#$601$;$kt$/

1. An article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale.

Question: Can you purchase a Pre 3?
    Answer: Yes.
    Which corporation is selling the Pre 3? Verizon? AT&T? HP?

I just realized I seem to have skipped over a couple parts of that review. I'm surprised he wrote pretty much nothing about the actual software/features. I'm done with Engadget.
    sara.ramli and JustJC like this.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Some parts are good while others so biased I did a Option+Icon click on the Engadget app.

Whats that with the camera? It aufofocus, either at the middle crosshair or aimed by tapping the screen, works great.
    Last edited by Andreas; 09/25/2011 at 01:12 AM.
    they didnt even find the best skype integration on the market, no word ... nice done engadget!

the keyboard is awesome btw.

i <3 my pre3
    Not a fair review. The Pre3 is *much* better that this review makes it sound like.

Lack of buttons? That's a feature not a drawback.
    Lack of innovation? Two points:
    1: What ground-breaking innovation is expected here that other phones actually did bring out? Anti-gravity? Warp-comm? Silly-3D that hardly anybody actually wants?
    2: And the innovation that is there - gestures over buttons - then gets ignored or criticized.

There is 1 solid drawback that the Pre3 can't escape from - relatively few apps. To anybody where that is a high priority it's fair to say that the Pre3 looses compared to the competition.

I have tried Iphones and checked out Android and there are enough apps for my purposes and the Pre3 - to me - is the best smartphone available.
    The screen is gorgeous. It works very smoothly. The hardware feels good and is of high quality. Good size. Nicey larger screen without getting too big overall.
    Much improved battery life.
    There is nothing wrong with the auto-focus camera. Simply adding more MP doesn't make a camera better.
    The keyboard is very good.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    JustJC likes this.
    I can't say I surprised by the review but I personally disagree with it.

I sold my HTC Desire HD almost as soon as I managed to get my hands on the Pre3. The Pre3 is awesome! The only things missing for it are some apps.
    Most recent phones have included HTC Touch Dual (WinMo 6.1 - 6.5) > Samsung Omnia (WinMo 6.1 - 6.5) > HTC Hero (Android 1.5 - 2.1) > HTC Desire Android (2.1 - 2.3) > HTC Desire HD (2.2.1 - 2.3.3).

New: HP Touchpad 32GB (Possibly selling after it comes back from repair - contact me)
    New: HP Pre3 (Selling - contact me)
    New: Samsung Galaxy S II (Android 2.3.5)
    geekpeter likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast