Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    This was covered in a few Pre2 forums, but if you're like me, you probably didn't see them.

In short, it looks like the GoPhone cards are locked to the GoPhone for 6 months, so if you try to use one with the Pre3, you won't get past the very first screen.

I was able to use the Vodaphone SIM to get past the first screen, but not to create a new account-- no data network.

I eventually found someone in the office who could lend me a SIM that got me both data and voice, at which point I created a new profile and set up Wifi.

And remember kids, the iPhone uses a micro-SIM, so you basically need to steal from someone with a blackberry or droid.

UPDATE: As others have mentioned, AT&T was able to convert me over with no issues-- they swapped out the SIM card for a new one, transferred my balance, and all was good. It did take about 30 seconds for the phone to jump onto the 3G data network, so I thought at first that didn't work, but it did kick in eventually.

Was disappointed that the guy behind the counter didn't comment more about the Pre3, although he sorta knew what the Touchstone was.
    Last edited by jsabo; 09/24/2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    You can use micro sim adapter which will allow a micro sim in normal sim slot.

Good luck.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    In short, it looks like the GoPhone cards are locked to the GoPhone for 6 months, so if you try to use one with the Pre3, you won't get past the very first screen
    true a go phone sim is locked when you buy them in a store with a with. But you can go to a At&t store and buy only a sim card an put it on a go phone plan. Have them set it up and everything. I know, because I did this when I had a veer. When you buy a sim you can put it on a month to month plan and pay the same rate as if you was on contract. Or a go phone pre-paid plan.

I have a pre 3 coming in the mail, and I am personally going to try h20 wireless. They use at&t towers and offer unlimited data.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceveret3 View Post
    true a go phone sim is locked when you buy them in a store with a with. But you can go to a At&t store and buy only a sim card an put it on a go phone plan. Have them set it up and everything. I know, because I did this when I had a veer. When you buy a sim you can put it on a month to month plan and pay the same rate as if you was on contract. Or a go phone pre-paid plan.

I have a pre 3 coming in the mail, and I am personally going to try h20 wireless. They use at&t towers and offer unlimited data.
    same here. I just went into an AT&T store with my unlocked pre2 to set up a gophone account and it has worked fine on my pre2, veer and my UK QWERTY unlocked Pre3
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    same here. I just went into an AT&T store with my unlocked pre2 to set up a gophone account and it has worked fine on my pre2, veer and my UK QWERTY unlocked Pre3
    You been using the SIM from your Pre2 in the Pre3? Do you receive 4G?
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    You been using the SIM from your Pre2 in the Pre3? Do you receive 4G?
    Seeing as how the UK Pre 3 doesn't have AT&T 4G bands he won't be able to answer that question. I will let you know soon as my Pre 3 is in the mail and I also have a Samsung Focus on Gophone. I will pop that SIM in and let you know if I get HSPA+.
    actually, I have been getting amazing speeds in north jersey. See for yourself: Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

3.7down / 1.5 up consistently
    I'm not saying you won't get good speeds but you're not on 4G bands (as confirmed from your pic that says 3G)
    You may need to go into an AT&T store or contact AT&T to get the account changed to support HSPA+. The sim might be different, but I'm not sure.
    Dan Donovan
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
    You can use micro sim adapter which will allow a micro sim in normal sim slot.
    Not a lot of people carrying those around at work, oddly enough