Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Man HP really dropped the ball not letting this one see the light of day here in the states. I just got my Pre 3 in the mail and boy is this one fine device. Can't wait to send the Pre 2 packing.

    Likes:

    Build quality - The build quality is amazing. The Pre 3 is one solid device. It feels sleek in the hand and the curved design is just cool looking. The slider is extremely tight. Makes the Pre 2 look silly with that wobbly screen and all. The pebble look of the Pres of the past is gone for good. The extra screen size and width makes it feel thinner than it really is (think iPhone 3G curved edges)

    Keyboard - Keyboard is amazing. So comfortable! It is night and day compared to the older models. My fingers actually don't hurt after typing a long message! Almost as good as my Bold 9930. Almost.

    Touchpad Integration - Linking to Touchpad. Being able to text from my Touchpad is awesome. The Pre 2 was good with calls and this just one ups it. Touch to share is kind of cool but I don't foresee using this often.

    Screen - Perfect screen size; not too big and not too small. The higher resolution is immediately noticeable.

    Size - Let's be honest, the original Pre design was too small. After over 2 years of the same size screen on the webOS flagship phone this nice big screen really makes a difference. Everything just is better, especially videos and web browsing.

    Connectivity - I always had major issues with my Pre -, Pre Plus, and Pre 2 staying connected to email for some reason. With the Pre 3 I have not yet experienced the dreaded "check your login details for" screen.

    Load times - Takes much less time to boot up.

    Touchstone - I don't know what it was about the Pre Plus and Pre 2 but they never sat right on the Touchstone. I always had to get it in JUST the right spot. The Pre 3 works like a charm. Very impressed.


    No Like:

    WebOS - What?? Yes you read that right. WebOS 2.2 is not all that different than 2.1. The Pre 3 really needs WebOS 3 but that won't happen anytime soon. Still love webOS, but I expected a bit more from 2.2.

    No Onscreen Keyboard - Didn't make too much sense for the small Pre/Pre2 screen, but with the bigger screen I really wish there was a touch screen keyboard for landscape mode. A total bummer.

    Lack of Apps - Yes this one still kills but lack of apps for all webOS devices has always been the issue.

    Speed - I don't know what it is but the speed on my phone seems slower than the Pre 2. Flipping through screens etc. seems slower than the Pre 2. Not sure if it's my mind playing tricks on me but I thought it'd be faster with that 1.4 Ghz processor and all.

    Battery Life - It's subpar compared to the Pre 2.


    Overall it's a great device and I am so glad to have it in my hand. I have the UK Pre 3 but the AT&T one is in the mail. Really looking forward to the 16gb, indoor 3G, and HSPA+ speeds! It'll only make a great phone even better.
    Last edited by jcohengd; 09/23/2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added Touchstone aspect
    carldc and alonhzn like this.
  2. #2  
    I never had a pre 2, but the Pre3 does feel a little slower than my overclocked pre+ when flipping through screen, or anything that has to with screen activity. Some of that maybe because webOS 1.x was a bit simpler, but I think it's mostly because the Pre3's screen has 2.5x the number of pixels than the Pre/Pre2's screen and it only has a 40% increase in processor speed. Even with architectural improvements, I doubt that would equate to 2.5x speed improvement. Of course if webOS would finally start using some gpu acceleration, this wouldn't be a problem.

    However, on tasks that don't require a lot of screen drawing the pre3 is definitely faster, like when it's processing the preware feeds.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    I never had a pre 2, but the Pre3 does feel a little slower than my overclocked pre+ when flipping through screen, or anything that has to with screen activity. Some of that maybe because webOS 1.x was a bit simpler, but I think it's mostly because the Pre3's screen has 2.5x the number of pixels than the Pre/Pre2's screen and it only has a 40% increase in processor speed. Even with architectural improvements, I doubt that would equate to 2.5x speed improvement. Of course if webOS would finally start using some gpu acceleration, this wouldn't be a problem.

    However, on tasks that don't require a lot of screen drawing the pre3 is definitely faster, like when it's processing the preware feeds.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Ive heard just the opposite about the speed.. most say that its on par or better than an oveclocked Pre, or the pPre 2.

    Eitehr way, though, once Rod and the rest of WEBOSI gets there hands on a few Pre 3's to work on, Im sure we will see some kernals come out with higher speeds that will make the Pre 3 really outperform, and this time, we won't have to worry about "voiding the warranty".

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  4. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    #4  
    I bought one on eBay yesterday and should be getting it next week. It's a 16gb ATT. Are you in the US? If you are, did you get an unlocked Euro or an ATT? Man, I have so many questions about what to expect and what to do. I'm sure my post number will skyrocket soon! ;-) I will be very appreciative of any advice you all might offer.
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  5. #5  
    Remember that the Pre 3 resolution is 800 x 480... roughly twice the resolution of Pre+ and Pre 2 screens... those pixels aren't free you know
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  6. 9520G's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #6  
    Ive had every model since pre minus, the pre 3 is fast, its doesnt lad at ALL, even my OC pre 2 had lag times here and there.
  7. Thor e's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #7  
    I agree with almost all you've said. I love it too. Though mine is not slow to me. Feels just right. Also, I love WebOS I'd take it over any other mobile OS out there. I think it functions beautifully. Though the only thing that has raised my eyebrow was the fact that I had gotten the "too many cards" error a couple of times. That had shocked me a bit. Hopefully there will be a patch or kernel to help deal with that..... I hope....
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    I agree with almost all you've said. I love it too. Though mine is not slow to me. Feels just right. Also, I love WebOS I'd take it over any other mobile OS out there. I think it functions beautifully. Though the only thing that has raised my eyebrow was the fact that I had gotten the "too many cards" error a couple of times. That had shocked me a bit. Hopefully there will be a patch or kernel to help deal with that..... I hope....
    theres a kernel for that already

    uberkernel
  9. Thor e's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by yus786 View Post
    theres a kernel for that already

    uberkernel
    I just tried to install that and got an error for some reason.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    I just tried to install that and got an error for some reason.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ror-fixed.html

    You might want to reinstall the original kernal, reboot, and try reinstallilng Uberkernal again, or, just apply the memory patch Rob linked to.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. lstrike's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #11  
    I got an error also. In another thread Rod said to make sure I was on 3171 build.

    Haven't performed the upgrade yet as the phone is saying up to date.
  12. #12  
    I must say that I also love the Pre 3 so much. I'm gonna buy an at&t pre 3 just to have a second one because I love it so much. Seriously its about time they actually went in and gave this platform some good hardware... Plus, when you have Preware, webOS internals, and this fantastic community to bind all together for unity and the love of one product, it doesn't get much better than this. Yeah, iOS and Android have more apps but they absolutely do not have a community like this one. And quite honestly I think that webOS operates smoother than the latter mentioned OS's. I'm absolutely in love. LONG LIVE WEBOS
  13. #13  
    Ive heard just the opposite about the speed.. most say that its on par or better than an oveclocked Pre, or the pPre 2.

    Eitehr way, though, once Rod and the rest of WEBOSI gets there hands on a few Pre 3's to work on, Im sure we will see some kernals come out with higher speeds that will make the Pre 3 really outperform, and this time, we won't have to worry about "voiding the warranty".


    Overall the Pre3 is definitely faster than my overclocked Pre+, but certain screen animations feels either a little slower or not quite as smooth. It's a pretty subtle difference, but it's noticeable in a head to head comparison.


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  14. #14  
    I must say that I also love the Pre 3 so much. I'm gonna buy an at&t pre 3 just to have a second one because I love it so much. Seriously its about time they actually went in and gave this platform some good hardware... Plus, when you have Preware, webOS internals, and this fantastic community to bind all together for unity and the love of one product, it doesn't get much better than this. Yeah, iOS and Android have more apps but they absolutely do not have a community like this one. And quite honestly I think that webOS operates smoother than the latter mentioned OS's. I'm absolutely in love. LONG LIVE WEBOS
    I'm considering getting an at&t one as a backup too, but not at the prices on ebay right now.


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  15. #15  
    Just bought a 16GB ATT Pre3 on Ebay because I don't want to risk not being able to get one later.

    Now if I can just figure out how I'm gonna pay rent....

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Just bought a 16GB ATT Pre3 on Ebay because I don't want to risk not being able to get one later.

    Now if I can just figure out how I'm gonna pay rent....

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    I think I'm going to be starting a loan business for people in this forum lol.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Overall the Pre3 is definitely faster than my overclocked Pre+, but certain screen animations feels either a little slower or not quite as smooth. It's a pretty subtle difference, but it's noticeable in a head to head comparison.
    Yes you hit the nail on the head here this is exactly how I feel. It's just the animations. There's no 'lag' in the OS though, it's just moving from screen to screen is not as fluid.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    I just tried to install that and got an error for some reason.
    those of us still on the original 3165 cant use it until we doctor or update to 3171.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    I'm considering getting an at&t one as a backup too, but not at the prices on ebay right now.


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I agree. The prices are pretty nutty but, who knows if they'll be available in the future... Ya know?
  20. #20  
    The novelty has worn off for me, but it is still an excellent day-to-day phone. I imagine that when more devs get access to them it will be speedier but I worry about the availability of apps now and in the future.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions