Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    This is being discussed in a couple different threads, so I thought it most efficient to start a new one rather than repost in several places.

Got your new Pre 3 and not getting 4G? If you had an older 3G phone you have to call AT&T and get them to change your provisioning to allow 4G. The icon next to your signal meter should be an H+ for faux gee.

I called. The CSR didn't care that it wasn't an "approved" phone or none of that. He wanted the IMEI number (available under the battery or in Device Info->More info), spent a few minutes reconfiguring and that was that. Faux Gee!

I had a few extra problems because I am under several grandfathered plans. The unlimited data was no problem for him, but my 200 SMS plan caused him to have to escalate a request for reinstatement upstairs, he said it would be no problem, as I was grandfathered into that plan, just that he couldn't do it at his workstation.

I am not seeing exceptionally high speeds, but higher than 3G and it works through my microcell just fine. No changes needed to the configuration of the microcell.

Make the call.... have 4G.
    Last edited by jaltman; 09/23/2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    whodat72 likes this.
    thanks was just about to head to an att store
    You're talking about the att pre3? Or this also applies to the EU pre3?
    You're talking about the att pre3? Or this also applies to the EU pre3?
    It has to be the att pre3. The EU model doesn't support AT&T's faux gee frequencies.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    Only the AT&T Pre3. Says 4G on the box.
    Jim Altman
    I had the same issue, called ATT and gave my esn. 4g works now and my first download test was 1.7 meg, which I have never even seen on WiFi. This is with no patches either such as unthrottle download manager.

I don't care if it is faux g, 4g or 3.5g--this speed is plenty fast for me and if my TP tethers anywhere near this speed I will be in heaven.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Can anyone here confirm that when you got 4G working on your AT&T Pre3, the signal icon changes from "3G" to "H+"?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    Consider it confirmed. Thanks for all you do Jason.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jaltman; 09/24/2011 at 06:42 AM.
    Jim Altman
    I am sure I saw a screenshot with "4G", not "H+" somewhere...
    Since there is no official (ITU-T) definition of what constitues a 4G network, AT&T decided to do the marketing anyway. But it's not LTE, more like 3.5G (3G with HSDPA+ up to 7.2Mbps). Some other companies, like Telstra in Australia, decided to be more honest and call it "NextG" - which, in fact, won't age as fast as "4G" still same 3G HSPA+ on 850MHz band (which penetrates much better than others). I saw 6.7M down/4.7M up on NextG from my home (no femtocells) - on iPhone 4 - way faster upload than my pityful ADSL line.
    High-Speed Downlink Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks jaltman! I too talked to AT&T customer support now I see H+ on my device..!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    So I guess I have faux g too!

I just tried calling Rogers customer support asking if anything needed to be done to enable 4G on my device (as I only had the 3G label in the statusbar).

I dunno is this is complete BS on their end or not, but that said that their network won't display itself as anything other than "3G" as they consider HSPA+ part of that (even though their website says to the contrary). When I mentioned how AT&T users need to get customer support to setup 4G for them, he just said "the US does things weird like that", lol.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that? SpeedTest.net gets about 2.6mbps download speed
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 09/24/2011 at 04:43 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    i get about 2+ to 5+ on my veer showing 3g on att network. i never bother calling att with my imei number to get it changed to show h+
    when I talked to AT&T customer service, they told that there is a separate 4G plan and my service does not have 4G enabled.. When I told him that I needed that, he just included my phone's IMEI in their system and enabled 4G (which is free) as part of my service..Once he did that, I had to restart my phone to reflect the changes done on AT&T servers..That's it..
    so did you have any speed increase. What were you getting before and what are you getting now
    Regarding speed, I don't see any increase after switching over to 4G (H+).. I feel like it has gone down..!

I remember seeing arnd 6Mbps as DL speed before switching over.. After switching over, the max I saw was about 5.xx Mbps
    Can you get 4G provisioned on a GoPhone SIM/plan, or just contract/post-paid?
    I guess you should be able to get it enabled as part of prepaid plan as 4G is free on AT&T currently..

Quote Originally Posted by seretogis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seretogis View Post
    try calling them up and ask to put your imei on file. before you do tho, i would do a speed test to see what your download speeds are. im guessing that it wont change.

im using a veer prepaid sim on at&t, i dont show the h+, just the 3g and im getting anywhere from 2+ to 5+
    I just started using my AT&T Pre3 yesterday (absolutely LOVING it!) and was wondering what other's experiences with 4G are.

I'm only getting a 3G indicator on my screen, despite being in Seattle, which should be blanketed in "4G." I've already been all over the city and have never seen it toggle to 4G.

In anyone else's experience, are you seeing 4G icons? is 3G on here actually HSPA+, so I'm getting "4G," but without the indicator?

Thanks for the help, guys!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast