Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Trying this in Seattle soon once I switch to ATT from Sprint. I'll post results here soon ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    This is being discussed in a couple different threads, so I thought it most efficient to start a new one rather than repost in several places.

Got your new Pre 3 and not getting 4G? If you had an older 3G phone you have to call AT&T and get them to change your provisioning to allow 4G. The icon next to your signal meter should be an H+ for faux gee.

I called. The CSR didn't care that it wasn't an "approved" phone or none of that. He wanted the IMEI number (available under the battery or in Device Info->More info), spent a few minutes reconfiguring and that was that. Faux Gee!

I had a few extra problems because I am under several grandfathered plans. The unlimited data was no problem for him, but my 200 SMS plan caused him to have to escalate a request for reinstatement upstairs, he said it would be no problem, as I was grandfathered into that plan, just that he couldn't do it at his workstation.

I am not seeing exceptionally high speeds, but higher than 3G and it works through my microcell just fine. No changes needed to the configuration of the microcell.

Make the call.... have 4G.
    Just followed the instructions from Jaltman and am now working with PHO G myself. Took all of 10 minutes and required a restart of the phone.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    This is being discussed in a couple different threads, so I thought it most efficient to start a new one rather than repost in several places.

Got your new Pre 3 and not getting 4G? If you had an older 3G phone you have to call AT&T and get them to change your provisioning to allow 4G. The icon next to your signal meter should be an H+ for faux gee.

I called. The CSR didn't care that it wasn't an "approved" phone or none of that. He wanted the IMEI number (available under the battery or in Device Info->More info), spent a few minutes reconfiguring and that was that. Faux Gee!

I had a few extra problems because I am under several grandfathered plans. The unlimited data was no problem for him, but my 200 SMS plan caused him to have to escalate a request for reinstatement upstairs, he said it would be no problem, as I was grandfathered into that plan, just that he couldn't do it at his workstation.

I am not seeing exceptionally high speeds, but higher than 3G and it works through my microcell just fine. No changes needed to the configuration of the microcell.

Make the call.... have 4G.
    This is good news. I have the grandfathered unlimited data and 200 SMS plans as well. I'm currently running my old iPhone 3GS sim card in my unlocked Pre 2 and was concerned I would be forced into the capped data plan if switching to the '4G' Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copa715 View Post
    This is good news. I have the grandfathered unlimited data and 200 SMS plans as well. I'm currently running my old iPhone 3GS sim card in my unlocked Pre 2 and was concerned I would be forced into the capped data plan if switching to the '4G' Pre 3.
    No you will be able to keep unlimited. Matter of fact, anyone who has capped data can activate an iPhone 2G with their SIM card and then get their plan switched to unlimited as a loophole. Also, I recommend going to the unlimited messaging which allows you to make unlimited calls to any mobile on any network in the US. I did that and I'm glad I don't have to watch my sms use since synergy messaging makes it so nice

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    No you will be able to keep unlimited. Matter of fact, anyone who has capped data can activate an iPhone 2G with their SIM card and then get their plan switched to unlimited as a loophole. Also, I recommend going to the unlimited messaging which allows you to make unlimited calls to any mobile on any network in the US. I did that and I'm glad I don't have to watch my sms use since synergy messaging makes it so nice

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear I won't have to give up my unlimited data.

I've thought about moving to unlimited messaging, but since getting the Pre 2 I actually do most of my texting through G-Talk. My wife has an Android phone so that along with Synergy makes it seamless. Wish all messaging would go to that so I wouldn't have to pay for any texts.
    OldDrunkenSailor, you getting any faux gee love yet?
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhime View Post
    I do not have the H+ icon, after specifically requesting 4G every step of the way and one call to tech support. They're sort of freaking out because my device is strange... though I have been dealing with a webOS fan in tech support.
    You've probably done this already.... After I got mine provisioned for 4g (no trouble at all BTW, and all parts of my service plan are grandfathered), I had to turn airplane mode on then off to get the phone to drop the 3g connection it was using and switch to the 4g one.

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    i called to get provisioned for 4g but the csr told me i would have to change data plans to a limited one. i declined of course. i do have the h+ but i also received a text from att saying i had to call customer service. i hope they don't change my plan automatically.
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    I was, also, able to keep my unlimited data plan. Try asking for a supervisor. Your 900 close friends on the forum were not required to do that.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    What kinda speeds should we expect on H+?
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    The fastest I have seen is about 6.5 Mbit, but it is quite variable depending on signal, etc. This is in Atlanta.
    Jim Altman
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    My Pre3 should be here Tuesday. Are you guys calling 611 and asking for the 4G service or another number?
    Seems like that's the case, as long as you're on a smartphone data plan as it stands.

I'm on a grandfathered dumbphone data plan and they can't bump me to 4g without clicking the smartphone checkbox, unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I called the csr and he indicated my phone was provisioned for 4G; but, I have no success achieving the H+ indicator or the increased speeds promised.

In my phone preferences, under network type, my phone indicates 2G, 3G or automatic.

Does this indicate that the sim is not programmed for H+?

Dale
    Last edited by Dale46; 10/10/2011 at 01:26 PM.
    How omg ago did you get the sim chip in your phone ? You have to have a H+ capable chip in order to get H+ . Also try re-booting phone and double check your setting in phone app . I had to call and get provisioning twice before it actually showed up on my phone

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    How omg ago did you get the sim chip in your phone ? You have to have a H+ capable chip in order to get H+ . Also try re-booting phone and double check your setting in phone app . I had to call and get provisioning twice before it actually showed up on my phone

Brand new sim. The store agent told me it was 4G; but, based on the data in the phone pref network field, I expect not.

Does your phone which indicates H+ list it as a network type in the phone preference?
    what about the verizon pre3. no chance of 4g on that badboy right?
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    The fastest I have seen is about 6.5 Mbit, but it is quite variable depending on signal, etc. This is in Atlanta.
    I hit about 7 max in midtown, though I have yet to see it go below 2 even in my home or office at georgia tech. Where in town are you? I have had about 5 dropped calls though which is really annoying...

Question, any APPS that do speedtest reliably? The two in the catalog dont come anywhere near what speedtest.net website does... Would love to not have to load up a webpage everytime I want to do a speedtest...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyph911x View Post
    what about the verizon pre3. no chance of 4g on that badboy right?
    None unless you can unlock it and use it on AT&T... Then its HSPA, but CDMA will never do more than 3.1 mbps (theoretical max), best ive EVER seen is 2.4
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    I hit about 7 max in midtown, though I have yet to see it go below 2 even in my home or office at georgia tech. Where in town are you? I have had about 5 dropped calls though which is really annoying...

Question, any APPS that do speedtest reliably? The two in the catalog dont come anywhere near what speedtest.net website does... Would love to not have to load up a webpage everytime I want to do a speedtest...
    I am in Grant Park, about a block from the Park and Zoo. Coverage sucks at my house and I have a microcell, so through it I am limited by my DSL speed, but downtown at my office (Peachtree and Mitchell) I get good signal and speed.
    Jim Altman
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast