Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    i'm on an unlimited data iPhone 3gs plan. when i called them for 4G, they just added the provisioning by asking me for my imei.

i get to keep my data plan. no extra costs.
    I didn't need to provision my iPhone data plan to get "4G". The rep told me "You need a 4G plan to get the fastest 4G, and the best coverage." Right...The APN is exactly the same as the normal plans, so it all works just the same.
    Who said you had to get provisioned onto fake G? My Veer has had H+ since day 1 w/o any calls. I'm using a SIM card from 2005 too.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    have you guys tried freetether on your Pre 3 4G??? It works for me but only ONCE.. 2nd time i launch freetether and use wifi again, it doesnt work! I always have to RESET the device to use freetether again.. anyone experienced this???

please help.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    oh, and i have AT&T 4G Pre 3.. NOT the UK version. it's locked and updated to the latest OTA 2.2.3
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
    Who said you had to get provisioned onto fake G? My Veer has had H+ since day 1 w/o any calls. I'm using a SIM card from 2005 too.
    Where did you buy your Veer? If AT&T (or otherwise tied somehow to AT&T, i.e. reseller) they probably did the provisioning when you bought the phone. The Pre3's are totally out of selling channel.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    does this work with a go phone sim card?
    help my go phone sim card doesn't work for data on my Pre3 anymore I went to att to get a replacement sim card and it doesn't work anymore. Help what can I do?
    they also changed my account from the $10 unlimited for non-smartphones to 2gb data pro. Oh well. They did it automatically and emailed me to notify me of the change.
    I guess I'll either have to find another way to get unlimited data, settle for 2gb or 4gb of data, or go stick with Sprint and abandon my beloved Pre 3.
    I'm sooooo mad
    have you guys tried freetether on your Pre 3 4G??? It works for me but only ONCE.. 2nd time i launch freetether and use wifi again, it doesnt work! I always have to RESET the device to use freetether again.. anyone experienced this???

please help.
    I think freetether has a bug. I suspect it doesn't exit cleanly, some background process is left running. I came to this conclusion because I noticed that every time I tried freetether, afterwards my Pre3 would get really hot when charging and it would only charge to 60-70% and requires a reboot to fix.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    I have a 12 year old voice plan, a 3 year old sms plan, and an unlimited data plan. Basically everything is grandfathered in and there was no problem getting 4g provisioned. Just gave them my imei number and it just worked (well I did have to turn on and off airplane mode to get the phone to find the 4g signal the first time)

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    I think freetether has a bug. I suspect it doesn't exit cleanly, some background process is left running. I came to this conclusion because I noticed that every time I tried freetether, afterwards my Pre3 would get really hot when charging and it would only charge to 60-70% and requires a reboot to fix.

Freetether is definitely not exiting correctly, so every time I use it I just turn the wifi switch in freetether off when I'm done and reboot my phone. Geez I've had the phone 4 days and I'm almost at 1GB according to netstat.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Where did you buy your Veer? If AT&T (or otherwise tied somehow to AT&T, i.e. reseller) they probably did the provisioning when you bought the phone. The Pre3's are totally out of selling channel.
    Same place as my Pre 3, Ebay.

IMO it smells like BS to have to provision for faux G. Its the same exact APN, towers, bands. If anything they're giving your device priority over non fake G devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    FreeTether most certainly does not exit properly and a reboot is always required to even restart FreeTether.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I called today, and the CSR told me that with the Pre 3. I should just get HSPA+ coverage where it was available.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I just tried calling Rogers customer support asking if anything needed to be done to enable 4G on my device (as I only had the 3G label in the statusbar).

I dunno is this is complete BS on their end or not, but that said that their network won't display itself as anything other than "3G" as they consider HSPA+ part of that (even though their website says to the contrary). When I mentioned how AT&T users need to get customer support to setup 4G for them, he just said "the US does things weird like that", lol.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that? SpeedTest.net gets about 2.6mbps download speed
    Bell here and it also says 3G. I did a speed test and I did indeed get 4.6Mbps downstream and 2Mbps upstream via speedtest.net.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I think you get 4g without calling. Its a ploy to get you out of unlimited data or on a data plan. I've been running a SGS2 with an unlimited non smartphone data with H+ for weeks now. No new sim, no calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by daletorr View Post

please help.
    I do not have the H+ icon, after specifically requesting 4G every step of the way and one call to tech support. They're sort of freaking out because my device is strange... though I have been dealing with a webOS fan in tech support.

As for freeTether... it used to work fantastically on my Pre, just turn it off and on, turn it off and exit it when I'm done and that's that. On my Pre 3... not so much. Lotsa rebooting, because Wifi often won't turn back on afterwards. You can turn Wifi off in the app and it may or may not still be tethering... the green lights for DHCP and such stay on a lot. Sometimes my TouchPad isn't seeing the network or connecting to it until after I reboot the phone. Curious thing is it worked fine the first day or two.

Definite bugginess - anybody put an email in to the developer about it? I keep checking for an update...
    For the record, I've been provisioned twice. My understanding is devices provisioned for higher levels take priority on the network over other devices in a crunch. Considering situations I find myself in (SXSW Music, Fremont Street in Vegas), I definitely want that priority, even if I get the speed without it most of the time.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast