Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Where in Seattle? Also you should be seeing H+ not 4G

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Greenlake, Greenwood, Udistrict, Bellevue, haven't seen it anywhere :-/
    Are you using a new SIM or one that came from a 3G phone? As several other members have pointed out in other threads, you may need to call ATT to get them to update info on your SIM.

I just received my Pre 3 yesterday. I used the SIM from my Pre 2 to activate it and it was showing 3G. I then called ATT. They needed the IMEI (dial *#06#) or look under the battery. Now my phone is showing H+ and it seems much faster than it was.
    What do I need to tell them when I call? I'm actually using a Cingular SIM at the moment, believe it or not.
    Some of the members used the term provisioning. That was I asked about when I called and I explained that I was moving from a 3G-capable phone to a 4G-capable phone (well, ATT's faux-G). They said they needed the IMEI code and told me how to get it. They did what they needed to do and then told me to turn off the phone and then turn it on again. H+ showed up when I turned it on again.
    My only concern here is that I'm using a data plan from an old Sony S710a (circla 2005), unlimited data/text for $20/month. not sure what telling them that I'm on "4G" is going to do.
    Yes, I had to get a 4G SIM. Then call in and tell them you need the "provisioning" done. Also, you don't need to turn off the phone to get the IMEI from under the battery. It's also on the box and, even easier, in the device info. Just type!
    Just went through chat and they told me that I need a new SIM and that I need a 4g data plan. time to start complaining, i suppose.
    <<threads merged>>
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I just tried calling Rogers customer support asking if anything needed to be done to enable 4G on my device (as I only had the 3G label in the statusbar).

I dunno is this is complete BS on their end or not, but that said that their network won't display itself as anything other than "3G" as they consider HSPA+ part of that (even though their website says to the contrary). When I mentioned how AT&T users need to get customer support to setup 4G for them, he just said "the US does things weird like that", lol.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that? SpeedTest.net gets about 2.6mbps download speed
    Hi Jason,

I'm from Manitoba myself but currently living in Virginia. AT&T, as I'm sure you already know, gets their "4G" speeds through 'enhanced backhaul.' What I just found out recently is that they only enable that feature on phones that have the appropriate radios. Hence that is why a phone call is need to AT&T to get the speeds down here. Unless Rogers does the same thing, it may in fact be legit.

Hope that helps.
    Wow, AT&T refused to give me a new SIM card, saying that I wasn't on a smartphone plan and that to give me one they'd have to push me onto one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Can anyone here confirm that when you got 4G working on your AT&T Pre3, the signal icon changes from "3G" to "H+"?
    yes jason thats what happens !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
    Wow, AT&T refused to give me a new SIM card, saying that I wasn't on a smartphone plan and that to give me one they'd have to push me onto one.
    are you on a smartphone plan lol if not you will have to be in order to get the 4G's lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i think the new data plan for 2 gigs is like 25 a month lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    are you on a smartphone plan lol if not you will have to be in order to get the 4G's lol
    I've been using smartphones (Sony-Ericsson P910a, Samsung Blackjack, Samsung Focus, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pre 2) for five years, the phone works fine, I just can't get 4G going on it. 3G is fine.
    I've been using smartphones (Sony-Ericsson P910a, Samsung Blackjack, Samsung Focus, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pre 2) for five years, the phone works fine, I just can't get 4G going on it. 3G is fine.
    Just try calling back again and speaking to someone else. Let them know you need to confirm they will not be changing your plan. Who knows, you might get lucky.

The other thing you might be able to do, although it is risky is have them switch you then try and go online and switch to a non smart phone plan. I think if you search these threads there is discussion on that approach.

Lastly, unless you are using your phone as a hot spot you might be more than satisfied with the 3G speed. I am not sure it is worth doubling your data cost to just add speed and potentially cap your data.

Good luck.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    H+ on ATT Pre3 and Veer here in Cincinnati...UK one shows 3G same location.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Just try calling back again and speaking to someone else. Let them know you need to confirm they will not be changing your plan. Who knows, you might get lucky.

The other thing you might be able to do, although it is risky is have them switch you then try and go online and switch to a non smart phone plan. I think if you search these threads there is discussion on that approach.

Lastly, unless you are using your phone as a hot spot you might be more than satisfied with the 3G speed. I am not sure it is worth doubling your data cost to just add speed and potentially cap your data.

Good luck.
    I'll start with getting a new SIM, go from there. Must get SIM....
    My discussion on att thread with an att mod said I would not need a new sim and could switch from the 3g unlimited blackberry plan to the unlimited smartphone plan. I am having doubts about buying an att pre3.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    For those who successfully convinced AT&T to allow their Pre 3 to be "provisioned" as a 4G device, which specific department in AT&T on their customer support line (Tech Support, Business Office, . . .) did you work with? Tonight I spent 1/2 hour on the phone with AT&T's tech support folks and summarizing a rather poorly defined response they told me:

1) I will need a new SIM (am reusing my old SIM from my AT&T Palm Pre+)
    2) If I get a new SIM then I'll need to sign up for a new 4G service plan

Noting I got lots and lots of questions along the way from AT&T regarding what kind of phone I had, where I got it, whether it was an AT&T phone, etc. For the moment I told the AT&T rep. "No thanks" regarding changing out SIMs and modifying my data plan. Sounds like their recommended path will be a royal pain and more trouble than it's worth and I likely will leave things as/is (with my phone displaying / accessing 3G) unless there's a less onerous option.

Appreciating any guidance forum members can provide.
    Last edited by negradio; 10/01/2011 at 09:31 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast