View Poll Results: What phone should I go with?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with the Pre+.

0 0%
  • The Pre3 is toast. Go for the Pre2.

4 33.33%
  • Give it a couple more months, then go for the Pre2.

0 0%
  • Hold out for the Pre3!

8 66.67%
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I currently have a Pre Plus (Verizon). It's getting a bit rough around the edges, and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with it, get a Pre2 ($49.99 @ Verizon), or hold out hope for a Pre3, which I had planned on getting upon release before HP screwed over webOS. I have free mobile hotspot for the life of the phone (use occasionally), and am grandfathered in with the unlimited data package (use mostly for web browsing and email).

My primary reasons for considering the upgrade to the Pre2 are OS updates that I'm not getting on the Pre+ and hardware improvements.

What would you do? Keep the Pre Plus, upgrade to the Pre2, or hold out for the Pre3?

Are there any reasons that I wouldn't want to upgrade to the Pre2?

Thanks for any input
    Wait around for a Verizon Pre3 to hit eBay again, and snap it up.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'd love to, but I can't afford $700 for a phone. Verizon would have to release it, or HP would have to release a CDMA unlocked version that I could then activate with Verizon.
    There is not so much difference between pre2 and pre+, especially if you overclocked the pre+. It has the same amount of RAM which more important for webos from my experience than cpu horse power. That's also the biggest drawback of the pre3, which makes pre2 a better choice from a hardware point of view...

Don't you have the same webos version on pre2 and pre+ anyway? That's currently the biggest advantage of the pre3: it has the most current webos version with enyo support (but lacks the RAM to really handle enyo apps ).

Currently I'm not so happy with my Pre3, tbh... I somehow had more fun with the Veer. The current situation with most phones probably not getting new software anymore is not so nice...
    I have a Pre 2 and a Pre 3 and I will tell you, get the Pre 2.

I am very excited about my Pre 3. But I know that it will be a long hard road that will eventually end in despair and death. Some of my favourite apps on my Pre 2 will NEVER make it to my Pre 3. I'm cool with that, I bought my Pre 3 because there are times when I'm working on a project that I need great notifications, great multitasking and a larger comfortable keyboard. That's what I'll use it for, and that's ONLY what I'll use it for.

But my Pre 2 is super speedy. The over clock kernels are well tested and stable if you want to speed it up even more. There are tons of apps. Glass screen. Solid build quality. It's a great phone.

I love my Pre 3, but I know that at some point it will be painfully obsolete with no hope of repair or software support. The Pre 2 is a really great phone. It's what the Pre should have been.

Both phones have been abandoned by the largest PC supplier in the world.

Whichever one you choose, it will still be a wise choice my friend.

For Sparta, for freedom, to the death!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    There is not so much difference between pre2 and pre+, especially if you overclocked the pre+. It has the same amount of RAM which more important for webos from my experience than cpu horse power. That's also the biggest drawback of the pre3, which makes pre2 a better choice from a hardware point of view...

Don't you have the same webos version on pre2 and pre+ anyway? That's currently the biggest advantage of the pre3: it has the most current webos version with enyo support (but lacks the RAM to really handle enyo apps ).
    My Pre+ is stuck at webOS 1.4.5. As far as I know, we can't get updated beyond that.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    The Pre2 is an upgrade to the Pre+ - but realize you do NOT get free hotspot with Pre2. The Pre + is the only one Verizon offers that on. Plus you have to very careful how you obtain your Pre2 - if you do a straight upgrade on that line they usually (but I hear not always) take away your unlimited data status. To make sure you keep it you have to upgrade a different number but then activate as new hardware the Pre2 (or any other new smart phone you may choose) on the unlimited number.

You still will pay $20 (3G ) or $30 (4G) for Hot Spot access - but you get unlimited data if you go 4G (!! NICE!) or 2GB max if you stay 3G.

Could they make it any more confusing or convoluted?
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    I was able to get a tethering app to work with my laptop and my Pre 2.

I was able to get my Pre 2 working on Bell in Toronto and keep my unlimited data plan.

I just thought I'd rub salt into a festering wound. Sorry. That was mean of me. I'm a jerk.

Sorry.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm not counting on being able to keep my unlimited data, or my free mobile hotspot. I'm going to lose it at some point, and after looking at our data usage, it isn't a big deal. I like having the mobile hotspot feature, it has come in convenient at times, but I rarely use it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to try to keep them, but at this point with the future of webOS questionable, I'd like a new device that will last me the next couple years. Hopefully by then there will be new webOS devices coming out!
    Quote Originally Posted by petiole View Post
    My Pre+ is stuck at webOS 1.4.5. As far as I know, we can't get updated beyond that.
    You can easily metadoctor it to 2.1. And the Pre+ can handle 2.1 fine, not like the Pre-, which has to few memory.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Get the Pre2. I don't see being able to get a Pre3 for VZW. The glass screen and better battery life along with the faster processor and RAM make for a much better phone than the plus. I went from a Plus to a 2 and was so glad I did, even paying 450 for an unlocked for att.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums