Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Now that it appears that AT&T Pre 3's are finding their way into people's hands, I'm wondering if one of the very knowledgable folks in this forum would be willing to give a step-by-step set of instructions as to how best to migrate from an older tricked out Pre. I'm hoping to have my hot little hands on one shortly, and would love some guidance. For the record, I'm in the U.S. and my old phone is an AT&T Pre+. I want to make sure I activate it correctly to get access to apps, can reload all paid apps, Preware, etc. Some have suggested flashing to the UK Rom. Any benefits to that? Downsides? Any help is appreciated.

--Ira
    I think flashing the rom was just to get Skype on the ATT Pre3. But since HP just made it available in the App Catalog, I don't think it's necessary anymore. (Anyone can feel free to correct me.)

Here's where I started when converting from the Pre+ to the Pre3:

The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Another very helpful page:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...rformance.html

There's plenty more in these forums! Enjoy!
    I will be in a similar situation soon. I currently have a Pre 2 but will be migrating to an AT&T Pre 3 once it arrives. From reading around, I got the impression that we should activate using a different "token" just to ensure that we will have an available WebOS Doctor WSHF. There is still no WebOS Doctor for the AT&T Pre 3 available yet.
    The reason I wrote that flashing guide to EU Pre3 was so that you can doctor when required. Skype is just a additional bonus!

I had my phone activated before I changed the tokens btw, so that isn't an issue.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Has anyone figured out how to unlock the phone? Since AT&T never released it, I can't imagine they would supply an unlock code.
    i dont think they are locked as at&t never bought them. could be wrong tho but the all the ones ive seen on sale were unlocked

i guess the at&t pre 3 are locked...at least the one im bought but havent recieved yet
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 09/23/2011 at 12:31 AM.
    I am also interested in hearing about this unlocking business -- is there going to be a bulk-discount group thread starting anytime soon?
    Last edited by seretogis; 09/22/2011 at 10:26 PM.
    I have an existing TouchPad webOS profile and an older previous one from a VEER I used to have. My question is should I just reactivate my older VEER profile for my new PRE 3 or just link it to my TouchPad profile ? Does it matter ? And can a Pre 3 that is AT&T specific be unlocked ?
    I need help installing the tokens. I have zero experience with ubuntu. I was able to go as far as trying to install the novacom drivers in ubuntu. I just can't go past this.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    As I keep reading various posts, it is becomeing clear that flashing to a UK Doctor makes sense since it covers you in case of an emergency, and it appears that all available pre-ware patches are only written to work with that version. Is this correct?

I'm still confused about what order to do things in. When I first boot up the phone, register it with my existing U.S. profile? Then allow it to pull in all my data and paid apps? Then change the tokens and reflash to UK? Then pull in all apps and data again?

Can someone do a step by step?
    I recently just bought a AT&T pre 3 for $250 from a HP employee (I assume she was because when I asked her she kind of shied away from the question). When I purchased it she provided me with an unlock code. According to her they are all locked to AT&T. She also had a second one with its own unlock code. I don't know how unlock codes work and I also don't know if each unlock code are specific to device but if someone wants mine..you can have it. Just PM me. I'm not sure that I will be needing it since I use AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanggaw View Post
    I will be in a similar situation soon. I currently have a Pre 2 but will be migrating to an AT&T Pre 3 once it arrives. From reading around, I got the impression that we should activate using a different "token" just to ensure that we will have an available WebOS Doctor WSHF. There is still no WebOS Doctor for the AT&T Pre 3 available yet.
    I am in a similar situation to hanggaw, Pre2 and want to move to AT&T Pre3. The regular Doctor takes forever to download, last time for my Pre 2 it was over two evenings @ 3 hours of download time each (it's really slow here). The Ubuntu solution doesn't look too tough to do, but the download might take till christmas. Is there another solution? Disc available with Ubuntu? Does someone offer the Meta-Doctor token transfer as a service or is it legal for them to do so? All replies appreciated.
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Says_g View Post
    I recently just bought a AT&T pre 3 for $250 from a HP employee (I assume she was because when I asked her she kind of shied away from the question). When I purchased it she provided me with an unlock code. According to her they are all locked to AT&T. She also had a second one with its own unlock code. I don't know how unlock codes work and I also don't know if each unlock code are specific to device but if someone wants mine..you can have it. Just PM me. I'm not sure that I will be needing it since I use AT&T.
    Codes are phone unique, don't even try another code from another phone. You will end up permanently locking it after too many tries.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here