Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I have my pre 3 on an old touchstone which i bought new, its plugged into the official adapter and wow is this thing getting hot!

Is this normal? Device is on 37%
    All of the WebOS hardware tends to increase in temperature when on the touchstone.

My Pre+ included. Never had issues with it.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Hopefully it wont shorten the battery life, i heard in another thread (discussing using the touchpad charger to quickly charge your pre) that heat is bad for the battery
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    43% now :\
    heat is indeed bad for li-ion batteries and shortens battery life (thats the reason why some people like to take out their laptop batteries when plugged in). avoid anything above 30 celsius. see here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tschmidt84 View Post
    heat is indeed bad for li-ion batteries and shortens battery life (thats the reason why some people like to take out their laptop batteries when plugged in). avoid anything above 30 celsius. see here: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Well how come its so hot on my touchstone?

Is it because i have the old one it was 10 new on ebay, i didnt see the point in buying the new touchstone for double
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    Well how come its so hot on my touchstone?

Is it because i have the old one it was 10 new on ebay, i didnt see the point in buying the new touchstone for double
    They're all the same.

Well they aren't but that's down to bad construction consistency rather than changed design

How hot is hot? Mine just came off the ts having charged from 40 (a days use) and the back is on the cusp of warm and hot, very localised by the logo. Its a small spot, so its cool in a few seconds. This is standard for my phone and it doesn't worry me.

Have you been using FreeTether? I noticed that after I ran freetether and closed it, my pre3 would run really hot when charging on a touchstone and the battery never goes above 60-70%. The phone worked normally after a reboot. I think freetether doesn't exit cleanly and some part of it is left running after the app closes.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Have you been using FreeTether? I noticed that after I ran freetether and closed it, my pre3 would run really hot when charging on a touchstone and the battery never goes above 60-70%. The phone worked normally after a reboot. I think freetether doesn't exit cleanly and some part of it is left running after the app closes.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I just notice this today as well. I did a full restart and no worries afterwards.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Mine was doing this today...Govnah reported 48C, and my Pre was boiling. I took it off pretty sharpish. Doesn't seem to happen on my other TS (I have 3) and I've had problems with the one I have at work in the past (sometimes it won't charge by flashing charging on and off).

I would buy a new one, that's what I am going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    I have my pre 3 on an old touchstone which i bought new, its plugged into the official adapter and wow is this thing getting hot!

Is this normal? Device is on 37%
    The Pre3 has a curved backing, which prevents it from sitting flush against the touchstone., and provides weaker magnetic adhesion. I've noticed that if I have my Pre3 even slightly misaligned, it heats up fast. Try and make sure it's properly on the touchstone and it won't get nearly at hot
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    LCGuy likes this.
    Peripherally related, but I've noticed that sometimes it is really difficult to get a pre 3 to stay on the touchstone.. it.. slides around a bit. I imagine it is heavier than the phone the touchstone was intended to support..?
    Guys.... please remember that all of you bought Pre 3 with quite expansive money for a discontinued phone. So why you still risk your beloved Pre 3 on old design TouchStone. I have one, and never happy with it. It make Pre-, Pre+, Veer hot when charging. And my Pre- & Pre+ which usually charged on TouchStone already damaged and useless. TouchStone is the culprit? I don't know yet, but seems maybe!. Since then I never use it on my Veer, I put it back on its box and never open & use it again.

I know, lots of people don't have problem with TouchStone on Pre, but I just give some cosideration. Is it worth to force charge Pre 3 (which is not easy to have one) on a TouchStone? why we risk it, while we know that Pre 3 will be hot on it. Pre 3 maybe will fried, radio on phone will dead, and it can't be charge again. This already happen on my friend's Pre-.

If you charge your Pre 3 on Touchstone in a cool temperature room, that won't be a problem, but if you charge it in a quite warm to hot room, better don't do it.
    Personally I thought that TouchStone is a great product from Palm, but it needs to be upgraded to newer technology , at least heat problem need to be solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Guys.... please remember that all of you bought Pre 3 with quite expansive money for a discontinued phone. So why you still risk your beloved Pre 3 on old design TouchStone. I have one, and never happy with it. It make Pre-, Pre+, Veer hot when charging. And my Pre- & Pre+ which usually charged on TouchStone already damaged and useless. TouchStone is the culprit? I don't know yet, but seems maybe!. Since then I never use it on my Veer, I put it back on its box and never open & use it again.

I know, lots of people don't have problem with TouchStone on Pre, but I just give some cosideration. Is it worth to force charge Pre 3 (which is not easy to have one) on a TouchStone? why we risk it, while we know that Pre 3 will be hot on it. Pre 3 maybe will fried, radio on phone will dead, and it can't be charge again. This already happen on my friend's Pre-.

If you charge your Pre 3 on Touchstone in a cool temperature room, that won't be a problem, but if you charge it in a quite warm to hot room, better don't do it.
    Personally I thought that TouchStone is a great product from Palm, but it needs to be upgraded to newer technology , at least heat problem need to be solved.
    There's really not much a Touchstone can do to damage a phone. It's a pretty simple design, there's not much inside of Touchstone mostly just a metal weight. The worst it can really do is not charge the phone (like if the coil is not aligned properly). All the intelligence in the charging process is in the phone itself. If the phone's radio dies, I highly doubt that it's the TS's fault. More likely it's because the Pre- was a pretty poorly built and the radio just died from the wear and tear of using the phone.

The Pre 3 doesn't really get that hot while charging on a TS. I have three TS's and the Pre 3 behaves similarly on all three. It warms up much less than my Pre+ did. In fact the Pre 3 after charging on a TS may not even be as hot as after playing a pdk game for a few hours. If your Pre 3 gets really hot from TS charging then it's either a bad sample or you have some software running in the background that's generating the heat. For me it was FreeTether. My guess is whatever is leftover after the app closes is now stuck in some loop with nothing to control it.

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    LCGuy likes this.
    I just got my TS working with a HAMA external Micro USB AC adapter (5VDC, 1A). The Pre 3 was fully charged really fast (more Infos Here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...some-dont.html). But it was really, really hot. In presentation modus with Clock, no (that I know) background services or cards or programs and (I hope) correctly atached to it. I barely could have it on my hand! Room temperature is under 25C (Laddies here do not like when is "too" cold :-) Do not ask ME why! :- ) ).
    Anyway, I will keep an eye on it!
    It is normal that lion batteries get hot if they are charged... that's one reason why overcloking kernels for the older phones will scale down while on touchstone or wall charger.

I did not experience my Pre3 getting that hot, yet.... but I regularly had that with my older phones, especially a Pre+.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I always have a desktop fan pointed at my Pre3 when charging on a touchstone to keep it cool.

Also having the keyboard exposed keeps it cooler
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I always have a desktop fan pointed at my Pre3 when charging on a touchstone to keep it cool.

That does not seem very practical, does it? Does it really solve anything? I mean the contact surface with the touchstone probably gets hot anyway?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    The phone gets hot though and the fan keeps it cool.

You can always try it and monitor the battery temperature with the preware patch for the top right menu.
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    It is very hot around the HP logo where the battery is. It also doesn't always go into exhibition mode when placed on the TS which is a shame
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast