1.    #1  
    Anyone with a Pre3 and a Plantronics 975 BT headset ?

My 975 has worked perfectly with my Pre- and a Sprint feature phone but have non stop trouble with the Pre3, I don't have another BT headset to test with at the moment, though I have 4 of the 975s at least 2 behave the same way on the Pre3.

Typical behavior is talking with the headset is like talking on a radio, lots of static, voice cuts in and out, very hard to hear. Sometimes the BT connection between the headset and the pre3 disconnects entirely.
    I can't help you with your issue, but I want to cite here again my horrible experience with the Nokia BH 505: Both a brand new and a refurbished unit stopped working completely after the first battery charge. In their brief lives, some spontaneous outgoing calls, and volume and track buttons not responding as sign of death.
    Even the official support page has this kind of complains from several people. If you google "nokia bh-505 problem" you'll see it immediately. You'll see also very positive reviews, though.
    I use a motorola stereo unit - no problems with talking. When listening music it pauses or is interfered wit quite a bit. I think it's when I go in & out of signal for wifi etc. Used to happen on the minus & plus but less.

So definitely works - perhaps a reset or something might help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    Typical behavior is talking with the headset is like talking on a radio, lots of static, voice cuts in and out, very hard to hear. Sometimes the BT connection between the headset and the pre3 disconnects entirely.
    I have a Motorola H790. Never had any problems with my ATT Pre+. When I got the UK Pre3, I experienced exactly the issues that you mentioned. Static and dropouts. It was significant enough that I had to stop using the headset which is bad as I'm often on the phone with clients and need to type at the same time. Sometimes, I could get better bluetooth performance immediately after a reboot but even that was sub-par and quickly deteriorated, and obviously not a viable way of talking on the phone.

Just got my ATT Pre3 and there do not appear to be any dropouts with the Motorola headset. The signal quality is still a little staticky; it's not near as good as it was with the Pre+, but seems to be usable and is waaaayyy better than it was on the UK Pre3. That said, I only setup the ATT Pre3 last night and have only tested it by calling voicemail. We'll see if it holds up in real world calling.

All that said, and recognizing that I'm not a real techie, my guess is that there's some trouble with the bluetooth stack in the build of the OS. My UK Pre3 was running 3165. Nobody responded to my query as to whether bluetooth performance was better with the 3171 build and I never got the update. My ATT Pre3 lists a build of 2206. But I don't know if the build numbers correlate between US and ROW devices.

Hope some of that helps, at least as far as some more data points.
  5.    #5  
    I may of found the issue -- I may spend all my time in the enterprise supporting networking storage and servers but wireless has never been an area I spent much time in, so am a dolt in that area.

I went to go try to upgrade the firmware on my plantronics ear piece (only to later find out that there are no upgrades), but on my toshiba laptop popped up a warning once the bluetooth stack was installed saying that wifi and bluetooth can interfere with each other since they operate on similar frequencies (this is the part I did not know).

I turned off wifi on my pre3 and bluetooth was clear as day. Which kinda sorta makes sense because I so rarely had wifi turned on with my pre-, and had no wifi on my feature phone. I've had it on my pre3 almost all the time primarily because my euro pre3 lacks that extra frequency for better indoors 3G reception. And with my purchase of the touchpad on july 1st I installed wifi in my apartment - previously I had never had wifi at home (don't like the security implications). I hardened up my wifi network at home with some OpenBSD goodness so I could run wifi while keeping my network more secure.

So my next question is, can you kind folks have replied state whether or not your BT is operating normally with wifi enabled (and connected to a hot spot) on the pre3?

It would be kind of nice if there was a patch (maybe there is but I have not noticed anything like this in the past), that could disable wifi on the pre3 when peered with a BT audio device and a phone call is initiated.

thanks!!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    The only BT I use is the hands free in my two vehicles. It's clear on both but seems to drop calls more easily when BT is in use.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I turned off wifi on my pre3 and bluetooth was clear as day. Which kinda sorta makes sense because I so rarely had wifi turned on with my pre-, and had no wifi on my feature phone. I've had it on my pre3 almost all the time primarily because my euro pre3 lacks that extra frequency for better indoors 3G reception.

So my next question is, can you kind folks have replied state whether or not your BT is operating normally with wifi enabled (and connected to a hot spot) on the pre3?
    Wow! That's weird. Maybe it's only with certain devices/bluetooth stacks. I almost always had wifi and bluetooth on when using my Pre+ and never had any interference. I just experimented with my ATT Pre3 and turning off wifi made no appreciable difference. Wish I could try my UK Pre3, but I don't have a second SIM until my wife decides to port over.

I guess my point is that wifi and bluetooth may not play well together in general, but some devices/bluetooth stacks can make it work (e.g., my Pre+ and, to a lesser degree, my ATT Pre3). When I was using only the UK Pre3, I was hoping that there'd by an OS build update to fix the problem. Still hoping for that as my wife uses it while driving, but turning off the wifi (especially while driving) is an easy fix, so thanks for that!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Wow! That's weird. Maybe it's only with certain devices/bluetooth stacks. I almost always had wifi and bluetooth on when using my Pre+ and never had any interference. I just experimented with my ATT Pre3 and turning off wifi made no appreciable difference.
    One more question for you circadia --

Is your wifi using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz ? I just did a bit more poking around and it seems the 2.4Ghz is what Bluetooth uses so if your using 5Ghz that would explain this even more.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Enabling Cooexistence

My home wifi setup is 2.4Ghz only, I'm not sure what I have at the office(I'm not in the IT group so don't manage that stuff) but will try to check today.
    One more question for you circadia --

Is your wifi using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz ? I just did a bit more poking around and it seems the 2.4Ghz is what Bluetooth uses so if your using 5Ghz that would explain this even more.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Enabling Cooexistence

My home wifi setup is 2.4Ghz only, I'm not sure what I have at the office(I'm not in the IT group so don't manage that stuff) but will try to check today.
    Duuuhh...um... I don't know?

Is that the a/b/g/n stuff? I probably have a mixture. I think my router is n, but the netgear powerline thingy in my office is probably b as it's pretty old.

But, I guess, my thing is that my network configuration hasn't changed between my using three phones: ATT Pre+ (since ATT launch day), UK Pre3, and ATT Pre3. And all three have performed differently within the exact same environment, with the Pre+ being perfect and the UK Pre3 being unusable (bluetooth-wise). So, especially now that the ATT Pre3 is performing acceptably, I have to think that it's the UK Pre3's bluetooth stack not playing nice with wifi.

Either way, I'll take a closer look at my network components when I have a chance.
    I may of found the issue -- I may spend all my time in the enterprise supporting networking storage and servers but wireless has never been an area I spent much time in, so am a dolt in that area.

I went to go try to upgrade the firmware on my plantronics ear piece (only to later find out that there are no upgrades), but on my toshiba laptop popped up a warning once the bluetooth stack was installed saying that wifi and bluetooth can interfere with each other since they operate on similar frequencies (this is the part I did not know).

I turned off wifi on my pre3 and bluetooth was clear as day. Which kinda sorta makes sense because I so rarely had wifi turned on with my pre-, and had no wifi on my feature phone. I've had it on my pre3 almost all the time primarily because my euro pre3 lacks that extra frequency for better indoors 3G reception. And with my purchase of the touchpad on july 1st I installed wifi in my apartment - previously I had never had wifi at home (don't like the security implications). I hardened up my wifi network at home with some OpenBSD goodness so I could run wifi while keeping my network more secure.

It would be kind of nice if there was a patch (maybe there is but I have not noticed anything like this in the past), that could disable wifi on the pre3 when peered with a BT audio device and a phone call is initiated.

thanks!!
    Turning off Wifi solved my sound issues with Bluetooth on my Pre 3. This has never before been an issue on other phones, so it is a bit strange, but thanks anyway for the solution!
  11.    #11  
    A last update from me..

[Short story - using 5Ghz wireless allows bluetooth to function without issues for me]

longer story -

I bought a new wifi router for use at home, this time a dual band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz (original router is 2.4Ghz only). The router allows for separate SSIDs for each of the bands. I ran a couple of quick tests, making a call over bluetooth when logged into the 5Ghz side of the wifi router and another with 2.4Ghz. When logged in on 5Ghz bluetooth worked fine (only tested for about 20 seconds each time), 2.4Ghz was spotty at best.

The one thing I was worried about if whether or not the Pre3 would still use it's 2.4Ghz wifi radio even when logged into a 5Ghz AP. If it does, I could not notice the interference, but it may not use it.
    I've paired all 3 of my headsets, a Jabra Extreme, BT5020 and BT4010. Tested the 5020 and 4010 works fine. The Extreme is in my car but I would assume it works as well.

On an unrelated note, it seems like you can't use a Bluetooth headset for Skype. You just can't select Bluetooth as an output.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

thanks!!
    I can confirm this behaviour, my Samsung bluetooth adapter was always working fine with my original Pre and I was very annoyed using the adapter with my new Pre 3. All the time short breaks during the replay of music... I saw a hint in an Android forum to switch off the WiFi ... and the dropouts are gone...