Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Thanks to WebosInternals and Uberkernal!
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    oo how? does it just go away with uberkernal? speaking of which, uberkernal isn't in preware...
    There is an uberkernel in the beta feeds.
    Gah, I can't do this till I get home, can install the installer (to get Preware back) on my work computer!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Think I'll wait until stable release, I'm too paranoid about my Pre3 to be attempting the Beta feeds.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    good news !
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I think I'll wait also. *My Pre3 is my main phone right now and I need it to hear from recruitment agencies * **

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    as a long time linux user I cannot see how any kernel would fix the 'too many cards' error, it's just a coincidence. too many cards is related to memory usage, and a kernel really wouldn't impact that much in any noticeable way.

I've had my pre3 for probably almost 3 weeks now and have not gotten the too many cards error at all, normally I don't have more than 1 or 2 apps open at any given time(and I always close them after I'm done with them). minimal # of patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    as a long time linux user I cannot see how any kernel would fix the 'too many cards' error, it's just a coincidence. too many cards is related to memory usage, and a kernel really wouldn't impact that much in any noticeable way.
    Take it up with rod I guess, because according to him this kernel contains specific fixes for the tmc error
    Perhaps TMC isn't actually related less to memory usage and is caused by some other error.

I also very rarely have this problem, and only if I end up opening lots of videos or flash heavy browsers. Its almost a complete non-issue for me, so I'm happy to wait..
    the fix has to do with the way the available memory is reported to the system among other things. The modified kernel fixes the available memory reporting so the tmc error is reduced or eliminated.

I dont know about the specifics but some kernels even eliminate the error altogether resulting in actually being able to keep opening cards until the memory is completely full and the OS freezes.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Thanks to WebosInternals and Uberkernal!

This has sorted pretty much most of my problems, thanks so much to Rod and the team!

Uberkernel is now up on the stable Preware feeds. Get it while its hot!

I think I'll stick with vanilla a while longer- still not had any significant TMC problems...

supposing HP release a fixed kernel, what is the standard procedure for uberkernel adopters? uninstall uber kernel before allowing system update?
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    lowmemnotify-total-memory.patch is the patch. It's not coincidence. Sprint Pre- users have been enjoying the effect of this patch for around two years now, and now it's required again for the Pre 3 (due to it's small 380MB accessible RAM compared to the 512MB accessible in the Pre 2).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/22/2011 at 05:12 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post

I think I'll stick with vanilla a while longer- still not had any significant TMC problems...

supposing HP release a fixed kernel, what is the standard procedure for uberkernel adopters? uninstall uber kernel before allowing system update?
    You need do nothing.

One of two things happens:

1) The kernel is updated by Palm, and overwrites the UberKernel. In this case, we release an update for UberKernel built from the updated kernel sources, and you update it in Preware when it's ready. In the meantime, you get TMC errors.

2) The kernel is not updated by Palm. This means, by definition, that the UberKernel remains compatible and you continue to enjoy a TMC-free existence.

In either case, you just update packages from stable feeds when Preware advises.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    the fix has to do with the way the available memory is reported to the system among other things. The modified kernel fixes the available memory reporting so the tmc error is reduced or eliminated.

I dont know about the specifics but some kernels even eliminate the error altogether resulting in actually being able to keep opening cards until the memory is completely full and the OS freezes.
    In layman's terms, it causes the Too Many Cards error to take into account the available swap space before stopping you from starting new applications. The addition of compcache then allows this swap space to be used more efficiently.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I'm not seeing it -do I need to add another feed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by drewster_uk View Post
    I'm not seeing it -do I need to add another feed?
    No, it is in the default webos-kernels feed that comes with Preware.

I'm assuming you've already hit the "Update Feeds" menu item with a stable network connection active ...

-- Rod
    I updated govnah and installed the uberkernel but after the restart it doesn't show up in the govnah profile field. There I can only select the palm default profile. Am I missing something?
    digital_being likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast