Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By tholap
  • 3 Post By Andreas
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    So, I love my new Pre3, it is really great but battery life is really sucks.

I have facebook, gmail, skype account. email application checks mails on every hour, twitter account also the same on every hour. My im account offline all the time. I am not much a talker maybe half an hour speaking a day, and I send 50 messages top a day. My 3G is closed all the time even if I am online. And yet, battery drains like hell. I am charging battery every day maybe two times in a day. My installed patches are: adblocker, gps in device menu, mp4 video downloader, multimode, private browsing, remove dropped packet logging, ubercalender, unset cfq io scheduler, unthrottle download, muffle system logging.

Any recommendations? Is this normal?
    I have a very similar setup except for the patches (I have far less) also my 2 emails are push and my pre3 lasts for 35 hours easily.

I know some patches and apps drain the battery. Just check the thread "proven patches" or something like this for recommendations and guidance.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Charging twice daily is definitely not normal. maybe one or more of your patches drains the battery.
    Charging your smartphone every day is normal.
    If you have to charge it more than once a day- then you can complain about battery life.

They all roughly only last about a day. Smartphones can't be compared to dumb cell phones. The latter have limited functionality and dedicated hardware optimized for just this one purpose.

Smartphones OTOH have the processing power similar to what would have been a Windows XP desktop computer a few years ago.
    Smartphone OSs also are more multi-purpose and way bigger and also more demanding than "dumb" cell phones.

The big energy users are the screen and the radios. The default screen brightness is higher than needed for indoors anyway. I dialed that down to minimum and turn it up when I'm actually in the sunlight and need more.

Keep you're radio on wifi instead of 3G as much as possible.
    If you are in a bad reception area - go to airplane mode. Otherwise your Pre3 will struggle to keep connected and increase power to do so.

Go through apps and see in their settings if and how often they want to generate notifications. Turn off all notifications that you don't really need and choose hourly to once a day intervals for the rest according to need. Apps checking to generate notifications while the phone is unnoticed in your pocket anyway only keep the CPU from idling and saving power.

My Pre3 gets easily through a normal day.

Feel free to check other Smartphones - stories are similar - need daily charging.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    sara.ramli and LCGuy like this.
    As I've pointed out in other threads, my Android phone dies around 3 pm every day. You are like me, we use our smart phones. Alot.

Two days ago I tried plugging in my GS2 and working at the same time, and to my horror, even plugged in, the battery drain was so fast, the phone shut down anyway. While it was plugged in.

The iPhone gets better battery life but not by much. And just yesterday, I saw four iPhone users at work plugging in their phones late in the afternoon.

Yes battery life sucks on all modern smartphones. But on multitasking phones it's worse. The standard tips help: don't leave all your apps open all day. Close them if you don't need them. Lower your screen brightness.

Or if your like me, then just leave everything on and bring an extra battery with you. There's nothing I love more than slapping in a new battery and getting back to work while my iPhone coworkers look for a plug or pull out their power brick.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Vociferous: Get a Touchstone for the office, that would amaze them even more. =)
    Vociferous, kar1179 and LCGuy like this.
    Yeah I do love me some inductive charging.
    I leave my Pre3 on my bedside table every night not on charge, and when I wake in the morning it has never used more than 10% battery. Yes it is connected to Wifi, but that's 8 hours on standby. Can't tell you about my usage during the day as I have a touchstone at work and one in my car.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Ferraris use more petrol, but they are worth it *:-)

But seriously, once the honeymoon period is over, and you stop just playing with it for fun, the battery is just as good/bad as other smartphones.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Ferraris use more petrol, but they are worth it *:-)

But seriously, once the honeymoon period is over, and you stop just playing with it for fun, the battery is just as good/bad as other smartphones.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Agreed. Once mine had been through a few cycles, and after I stopped poking it every 10 seconds, I really stopped having concerns about battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I leave my Pre3 on my bedside table every night not on charge, and when I wake in the morning it has never used more than 10% battery. Yes it is connected to Wifi, but that's 8 hours on standby. Can't tell you about my usage during the day as I have a touchstone at work and one in my car.
    The old 'wifi by bedside table' thing. Why not just set wifi to sleep, or turn it off. I had a scare of it dropping from 60% to 0% in about 40mins while sitting on bedside table. I think it just was marginal on the wifi signal, and kept connecting and disconnecting. At home I turn off data, and turn on wifi and BT (for the touchpad), although wifi sleeps when not in use. I don't find battery is a problem using this setup, so 90% in 8 hours is certainly more than it should be.
    The overall advice seems to be:

- Turn off radios (GPS, WiFi, 3G/EV, Bluetooth) when they aren't being used. You will need WiFi/3G for mail and internet-related activities.

- Screen brightness - set to what is comfortable for you.

- Low signal areas really burn up power, because your phone is constantly seeking the signal.

- Most Pre's seem to take a few weeks to level out their battery usage.

- Muffle logging. (Do a "search" if you don't understand this term.)

- Streaming music/video and active GPS eat up a LOT of battery power. If you run Pandora all day, consider a Touchstone.

- Reboot regularly (there are patches that do this daily, for whenever you set it.)

- If you still have problems, you may have a program running in the background that it not closing properly, or you could have a defective phone. (Most people jump to this conclusion immediately, rather than take the time to figure out what's really happening.)

Please let us know in about two weeks if you're still having the problems. I hope these suggestions help you!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    If you have lots of Skype contacts I suggest signing out when you don't need it. I know at least one person here claims that Skype doesn't drain their battery, but I have a ton of Skype contacts online all the time and it drains mine quickly.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    how do you sign out of skype on pre3?
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    messages---->buddys---->offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    - Reboot regularly (there are patches that do this daily, for whenever you set it.)
    People keep saying that - but this is generally not necessary.
    It's too early to tell for the Pre3 - but my Pre- went without reboot for weeks at a time. And it's battery life was OK until a few weeks ago (battery health went down - but that was to be expected after roughly 2 years).

OTOH - letting it reboot automatically at night doesn't really cost anything - so if it makes anybody feel better, it won't hurt either.

The Pre3 has almost 3x the clock speed of the original Pre (and a larger screen) and still has decent battery life (similar to other smartphones) - so overall is looking good for now.

To give you an idea how much the 3G radio costs in energy: While on vacation I set my phone to Airplane Mode most of the time - and then activate only Wifi while at Starbucks. My old Pre- with battery health between 70-80% lasted easily for a couple of days (without rebooting/shutting down) - including 2-6 hours of Internet use via Wifi. Internet use was mostly Newsroom (great RSS reader) and reading the articles - occasionally using the browser to follow up on a link.
    Well it's 4AM, I just got home from work. I leave for work at 5:55PM every day. I just got notified that I had 20% battery left. I am on freeTether the whole time, and running mp3's along with a browser, usually Spaz HD as well.

Good enough for me.

The only battery issues I have is with my Pre-, which when I'm using freeTether lasts about 2.5 hours, unless it's plugged in (it is).

Just noticed this isn't a TouchPad forum....mybad
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/22/2011 at 06:23 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    for me the battery life has improved massively in 3-4 charge cycles, i always keep the wifi and data off during the day as i can check my emails and stuff on my computer, i only switch on the data when im outside or travelling, pre3 lasts 2 and a half days. i took off my phone at 8 am yesterday and its 12:00 pm and im on 55 % with 9-10 calls, few sms, occassional FB and twitter and emails.
    my HTC desire used to eat the battery massively even at standby with wifi and data off.
    Last edited by kamran9558; 09/22/2011 at 05:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    What is the idea with rebooting in terms of battery life?
    Is it that any errant processes that use up cpu power will be cleared?

Is there an app that does the reboot at a certain time like battery saver?

thanks
    Martin
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post

thanks
    Martin
    It's a magical incantation that people like to recommend that most of the time doesn't really make a difference.

Sometimes it does help, mostly by taking care of programs that suffer from memory leaks.
    And as it doesn't really cost anything (except a couple minutes waiting) there's not much reason not to try it if you have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post

thanks
    Martin
    reboot scheduler in preware