Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaede
  1.    #1  
    The prices on the AT&T branded Pre3s that have been showing on eBay are getting way out of hand. $600, $750. $1200 (with 64GB Touchpad)! And, here I thought the Touchpad fiasco was maddening!

Who can afford these things?

What I'd really love to see is for someone who has access to these things (an upstanding HP citizen, perhaps) coming forth and allowing us to get Pre3s for what they're actually worth, not for what these eBay idiots are charging.

Let see if it actually happens...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prices will drop eventually though...
    there is a buy it now for 600....haha for the saps who are still bidding at 660
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Sad part is that they all will sell for that price.
    The sad part is that HP still can't see the value in WebOS. Trust me, no one, NO ONE, is fighting to get a Joo Joo tablet.

When Leo said the tablet effect is real and so they would spin off their computer division, I wanted to scream 'You have one of the best Tablet OS's on the market you moron!!! Give it some time and some kick **** hardware and it will keep your hardware division alive!'

I am certain that Leo and HP are looking at the sales of WebOS hardware on Ebay and shrugging. Actually I'm certain that Leo doesn't give a crap about anything that's happening with WebOS. And it's too bad.

The prices might come down, but they might not. Just a warning.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how many ATT pre 3 were actually made?
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    nope. all speculations. no definite numbers... afaikafaikafaik
    TopTongueBarry mentioned 30k-50k - no idea how accurate that is though.
    There are 2 things that I see with eBay or rather people selling Pre 3's

Supply & demand obviously plays a large part in this too

But some people are selling Pre3's for little more than they paid for them, others are out to make a large profit

What you have to bear in mind from some sellers is that eBay now charge 10% final value fee, so for example for me break even on a Pre3 I have for sale (not on ebay) I would have to sell it for absolute minimum 450 US dollars excluding shipping just to not lose any money

If I didn't get that I would not sell at a loss and would keep the phone and give it to one of my kids to use

You also have to take into account the buyers, some people are prepared to pay a fair price, those screaming at how much sellers are listing for are usually those who want something for next to nothing and missed out on previous sales etc

It happened with the Touchpad which I managed to get 1 for me and 1 for my Nephew, I even bought one from ebay at still a fair price but way over the firesale price, but the seller refunded my money as he listed them without having stock and he couldn't purchase any at the firesale price
    wait till new iphone comin. and all of them will go for it. lesser demand for the pre3. then we go grab it. hopefully .
    clayclay350 likes this.
  11.    #11  
    I recant my previous rant.

While there are still plenty of $550+ Pre3's listed on eBay, I was able to snag one in the wee hours of this morning for $185 with free shipping.

I just missed out on one from the same seller that went for $160.

I can't wait to see my magical unicorn pony in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post

While there are still plenty of $550+ Pre3's listed on eBay, I was able to snag one in the wee hours of this morning for $185 with free shipping.

AT&T Pre 3?
    What I'd really love to see is for someone who has access to these things (an upstanding HP citizen, perhaps) coming forth and allowing us to get Pre3s for what they're actually worth, not for what these eBay idiots are charging.
    You failed to understand what worth (as in prices) means.

A thing has no inherent *right* price - it is worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay for it.
    You might think that the right price would be cost plus some reasonable margin. Not so.
    Say you built a cool new car, powered by cosmic rays it never needs refueling.
    It cost you 23 million bucks to built it. Wanting to make a profit you add a few percent and ask for 27 million. Sadly nobody is willing to pay 27 as the buyer who is willing to pay the most says he would not go over 9 million.

Many people want a Pre3. A few of them either have more cash to burn or are more motivated and willing to save more on other stuff. If only 100 Pre3 are available then the richtest/most interested 100 buyers determine the price.

That *is* the price. There is no other way to determine what the price is. A seller can just set a price and sell all devices at that price. But he will either not sell everything, or sell some of them for less than he could have got.

Whatever *you* think the right price is - somebody else was obviously willing to pay more - so the right price to him was much higher.

Please look up the supply/demand curve.

The problem here is not that the demand pushes the very limited supply of Pre3 to high prices. The problem is the very limited supply.

Anybody who sells you a Pre3 at $300 while he could have got $600 on ebay - effectively just gave you a $300 gift.

Your main problem is that the US supply of AT&T Pre3 is rotting in a warehouse - apparently waiting to get destroyed.
    The european (UK, France and eventually Germany) stocks eventually landed in the market and prices cam down accordingly (< 200-300 EUR).

So the US has hardly any Pre3 available. And any imports from Europe not only often come with different keyboard layout (AZERTY, QWERTZ) - but you are also unlucky with the current exchange rate of the dollar (costs 40% extra).

I hope the AT&T(and Verizon?) Pre3 get sold eventually. But it's a bad sign that they are not already in the market.

Good luck.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    You can safely assume that it is a 5 figure number.
    If you produce a product for a major market you don't just produce a few thousand. Larger production runs allow for lower per unit costs and that's key.

They will have produced at least tens of thousands. I would not be surprised to learn that it is a 6 figure number.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    ^exactly. Its called optimization. The value of an item is determined by potential customers. The fact that there are so few of these available increased demand. So the biggest webOS Fans are going to be willing to pay more to make sure they get it.

what's really upsetting is how HP undervalued the touchpad. At 300+ they are moving like crazy on ebay. Sure that is less that what they cost to make, but hp could have really improved the webOS base, then shot for better margins the next time around at that price range. Not to mention minimizing their losses.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    AT&T Pre 3?
    Yep.

So I was right with my post

"You also have to take into account the buyers, some people are prepared to pay a fair price, those screaming at how much sellers are listing for are usually those who want something for next to nothing and missed out on previous sales etc"

Your post reminds me of the guy who has complained to Cyanogenmod forum that they should stop developing Android for several months and make people wait as the users who have bought all the touch pads were either to put android on it or to sell it

He sounded like someone who was peeved at not getting a touchpad at the price most people did
    I would love to know where these guys are getting them from. How are sellers getting multiple units? Are they standing outside HP headquarters with cash and buying from desparate employees that are getting their walking papers? This blows me away. I could understand one or two per seller but some have sold like 20 already.

The good news it that if they are all legit then even more are likely to hit the market and there might be opportunities for current owners to even get a replacement should something happen to the ones they just got.

I live in California and even wound up paying sales tax on mine which is really odd.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB