Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    So ATT seems a lot more available (on ebay) than the Verizon Pre3 that popped up briefly last week.

Spec wise, they're both "world phones" but since Ver has CDMA radio too, is this *the one* to get if it was indeed available?
    Only if you've got a VZW account, I'd think. {Jonathan}
  3.    #3  
    How about for world use? (outside USA). Are they virtually the same in the regard?
    The verizon Pre 3 may be a world phone but I'm under the impression it is ONLY 900/2100 UMTS so no 3G or 4G in the USA on either of the two GSM carriers AT&T and T-Mobile
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    I reside in Central, New Jersey and plan to purchase a Pre3 this holiday season.

I am on Sprint but will switch to AT&T or Verizon for the awesome webOS experience.

With that said, which of these carriers (or any other carrier) is better at providing:
    1. App updates (OTA)
    2. Data plan (for one person)
    3. Help Desk Support
    4. Insurance
    5. Cell Phone Replacement/Repair Service
    6. Pre3 activation
    7. Overall performance & reliability

Thanks.
    Last edited by fred1955; 11/09/2011 at 02:11 PM.
    1. App updates (OTA)
    What Updates? You get what you get. HP/Palm said no more Pre3 love. Preware is community, so same on all carriers.

About same / depends on where you live. With ATT you have a choice of ATT model if you want HSPA+ (faux G) but it will run you $25 for 2gb. Alternatively you can get the UK model which will work. You give up HSPA+ but you still get regular 3G (over 1900 band only, no 850 so your indoor reception will be weaker for data, same for voice/text) and you get "unlimited (~5gb)" for $10-15 "dumbphone data". Keep in mind ATT phone is 16gb storage, UK phone is 8gb and current going rate on ebay is a little higher.

3. Help Desk Support
    You wish. Neither Verizon or ATT officially launched the Pre3, so there won't be any (or very good anyway) tech support on that front. For account servicing, I've been pretty happy with ATT (but I do have Business Support).

4. Insurance
    Nope. As-Is. You can buy some coverage from Squaretrade though.

Not on the Pre. See #4.

6. Pre3 activation
    Sounds like people had success activating on Verizon. On AT&T you just do it yourself. If you go with the official AT&T version, just go to store and get a 4G sim card (~$30). If you are gonna go UK route, get a free dumbphone (Samsung Solstice 2 is a good one) with a data plan. When you get home, just swap the SIM over to your UK Pre. Never tell anyone you're using a Pre if you want to keep your cheapo data.

Depends on where you live. I don't think Verizon model is 4G because Pre isn't LTE and VZW doesn't have anything similar to HSPA+. So for data, your best best is the official ATT unit. In all other respect, things should be similar. Probably a little better (relative term here) battery life on GSM units.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    You do realize that neither carrier supports either device right, and neither model has a warranty, so there will be no devise support in either case.

The ATT version will also work (although not in 3G) on Tmo, so you can have another option as a carrier. There are more ATT devices out there, so cheaper and more likely easily replaced. Vzw may not be as "world ready" as far as roaming as the ATT version is and we know ATT's often come unlocked or can be unlocked easily--VZW, seems to be less clear.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    1. Any updates will be from HP

2. Similar in costs, which ever has the best coverage where you live, if the coverage is equal, go with the at&t phone, much less money.

3. Push, both are the same, not good.

4. Buy a backup Pre 3, that is your insurance, look at it like 7 dollars a month for 24 months.

5. See # 4.

6. At&t is easy but go to a corporate store to get the month to month with no contract.

7. My at&t performs great, really happy with the slider (solid), keyboard (one of the best), beautiful screen and very fast with very littly lag. Not all of your apps and patches from your pre will carry over but still very functional phone for everyday user but if you are socially and/or appearance challenged and need a phone that will do backflips thru a ring a fire to impress your peers than search somewhere else.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    The word is still out on Verizon's GSM radio functionality. Seems its crippled in some way and wont give the same experience as the AT&T model. For e.g., GSM will likely not work in the USA because the whole idea of these CDMA world phones is to provide the option for limited GSM use while traveling, but locked only to the CDMA network at other times. Many have tried unsuccessfully to fully unlock GSM in the US.

If you already have Verizon service then go for it, but I wont recommend switching to Verizon for the Pre 3 and the idea of a 'world phone.' Its not even clear weather the Vodaphone SIM can be swapped for another in the UK or elsewhere (the last time I checked) so GSM use while traveling is questionable. W/ respect to network options, speeds and service costs you may fare better w/ an unlocked AT&T model both within and without the US.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    The word is still out on Verizon's GSM radio functionality. Seems its crippled in some way and wont give the same experience as the AT&T model. For e.g., GSM will likely not work in the USA because the whole idea of these CDMA world phones is to provide the option for limited GSM use while traveling, but locked only to the CDMA network at other times. Many have tried unsuccessfully to fully unlock GSM in the US.

If you already have Verizon service then go for it, but I wont recommend switching to Verizon for the Pre 3 and the idea of a 'world phone.' Its not even clear weather the Vodaphone SIM can be swapped for another in the UK or elsewhere (the last time I checked) so GSM use while traveling is questionable. W/ respect to network options, speeds and service costs you may fare better w/ an unlocked AT&T model both within and without the US.
    hi,
    I have a UK qwerty Pre3, an AT&T as well as Verizon.
    I bought the UK one first, as I didn't think the others were coming out and thought I could just use it on AT&T back in the States. Then the AT&T one started showing up on ebay, so I got that because I wanted the faster faux 4G. I came from Sprint where I had a pre- then frankenpre2, but was extremely disappointed with the reception of the AT&T network in my area (work and home - both around Hollywood), so I took the plunge a 3rd time and got the Verizon pre3.
    For me, even if the data network isn't as good (ie, 3g only) the normal coverage absolutely craps over AT&T. If the world phone doesn't work, not a big deal as I have the other ones and can just throw in a local sim for them.

Baldric

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Have a ATT and a Verizon (wife att me verizon). Differences are Skype integrated into Verizon not so ATT. Verizon has 3g data in the US on CDMA. Att is 4g but the Verizon phone holds signal better. Battery life better on Att marginally. Have used Verizon in europe and it works as advertised and every bit as well as my old blackberry switching from cdma to gsm. No issues. All in all I like the verizon better but the att is very nice also.
    Also, I nearly forgot, Verizon Pre3 also has Visual Voicemail that the others don't (paid service with Verizon though).

Baldric

fmarcanojr likes this.
    gsm on vzw pre3 works out of the country. I can on confirm voice not data as the sim I used is voice only.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    gsm on vzw pre3 works out of the country. I can on confirm voice not data as the sim I used is voice only.
    Which carrier was it?
    Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    So the GSM/UMTS side works? I got word through HP that there was a known problem with the antenna calibration on the Verizon Pre 3 for UMTS networks resulting in spotty coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    hi,
    I have a UK qwerty Pre3, an AT&T as well as Verizon.
    I bought the UK one first, as I didn't think the others were coming out and thought I could just use it on AT&T back in the States. Then the AT&T one started showing up on ebay, so I got that because I wanted the faster faux 4G. I came from Sprint where I had a pre- then frankenpre2, but was extremely disappointed with the reception of the AT&T network in my area (work and home - both around Hollywood), so I took the plunge a 3rd time and got the Verizon pre3.
    For me, even if the data network isn't as good (ie, 3g only) the normal coverage absolutely craps over AT&T. If the world phone doesn't work, not a big deal as I have the other ones and can just throw in a local sim for them.

Baldric

I think in your case you clearly made the right choice. These things are phones first (at least for most of us anyway) and if you can't get a signal then you can't use the device in the first place. I too would clearly trade off data speed so I can make a call--but call me old school because I still talk to people...
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    So the GSM/UMTS side works? I got word through HP that there was a known problem with the antenna calibration on the Verizon Pre 3 for UMTS networks resulting in spotty coverage.
    kwarner,

Like I said, it works *for me*. But only voice and text. I do not have a data SIM to test.

I guess, if people REALLY want to know, they could paypal me to get a 3G sim to test (probably $15) but I'm only out of country for a week or so.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I have used the Verizon GSM which is a vodaphone sim in UK, Germany and Italy. I did not bother to change anything except to call big V at Kennedy as I was on the plane telling them to please make sure all services were working. In Europe the Vodaphone sim allowed data and voice and searched for the best signal 3G in each country. It was really seamless. I did not seek the cheapest solution (unlock and sim swaps) and will pay exorbitantly I am sure but I am not very price sensitive admittedly.

By the way, visual voicemail on the Verizon is unbelievable and works better than any vvm that I have ever used. Simple effective and very quick. Love it. Not available on ATT except as an add-on and did not work well for my wife.
    I can now verify that using a prepaid 3G SIM on a VZW Pre3 works outside the US. That is, I am able to make calls and have data access.

The speed isn't the greatest but it works. So I'm satisfied.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    I reside in Central, New Jersey and plan to purchase a Pre3 this holiday season.

I am on Sprint but will switch to AT&T or Verizon for the awesome webOS experience.

With that said, which of these carriers (or any other carrier) is better at providing:
    1. App updates (OTA)
    3. Help Desk Support
    4. Insurance
    6. Pre3 activation

Thanks.
    I have both at&t and Verizon pre3. I use the vzw as my regular phone, and the gsm phone as WiFi only, because I want to stay with Verizon.

that said, if you can stand at&t, go for that one. Here is why:

1. Verizon build of webOS seems to be way behind in terms of bugs and performance. There are a bunch of bugs that are fixed on the gsm phone but not on VZW.

2. GSM version is more likely to get future bug fixes for gsm phones. Cdma phones were never launched by a carrier. GSM phone were launched, and sold as developer devices, so there is a better chance of updates or bug fixes for gsm versions.

3. There are very few vzw Pre3 devices in the wild, so they are still way too expensive. It doesn't make sense to pay twice as much and have to live with twice as many major bugs, IMHO.

The hardware is amazing, but sometimes I still go back to my pre2 just to get away from the bugs in the phone app and memory leaks.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/12/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    geewhiz likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast