Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I didn't find a thread (in Pre3 section)about what I wish to know so if I missed it - sorry for staring new one.

I'm going to add Polish Special Characters to my Pre3.

What is the dir containing alternatechars.json file in webOS 2.1 and 2.2 (I don't know what OS version mine will be at arrival and I don't know how fast I'll get the update - in my case, while back when on Pre- here in Poland updates where a little bit later than in officialy supported countries).

Can anyone give me a hint about that? Dir number will do the trick.
    Or replacing Special Characters in webOS 2.x is way different than 1.x?

Then I think I'll need more help.

Thx,

-pretoo-
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pretoo View Post
    Hi,
    I didn't find a thread (in Pre3 section)about what I wish to know so if I missed it - sorry for staring new one.

I'm going to add Polish Special Characters to my Pre3.

What is the dir containing alternatechars.json file in webOS 2.1 and 2.2 (I don't know what OS version mine will be at arrival and I don't know how fast I'll get the update - in my case, while back when on Pre- here in Poland updates where a little bit later than in officialy supported countries).

Can anyone give me a hint about that? Dir number will do the trick.
    Or replacing Special Characters in webOS 2.x is way different than 1.x?

Then I think I'll need more help.

Thx,

-pretoo-
    Hi,
    I've found the answer, so if someone need it: here it goes.
    Path for webos 2.2 is:
    /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo2/submissions/112/resources/en

In my case:
    /.../en
    I've choose English when activate but could be:
    de - German,
    es - Spanish,
    fr - French,
    it - Italian,
    nl - Dutch (I think),
    zh - Chinese.

Every of these dir has subdir, but no need to go further (like in webOS 1.x).

I've send the file
    alternate_chars.json (luckly backuped up from my Pre-)via WebOS QI.
    No Luna restart required.
    That's all folks!

-pretoo-
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hi,

I've noticed that above solution doesn't work for all apps.
    Here's the thing: everything is OK in Messaging, Email, Contacts, Memos, Calendar, Just Type, GMaps, etc., but it doesn't in any text editor (Noted! Beta, preText, ClassicNotes, Internalz Pro built-in text editor), Bing Maps (so far). Looks like original character only, not edited.

Is this related to internal ("in-app")encoding limitation?
    Or is it a way to make my Custom/Special Characters work in all apps
    (if works for Stock Apps why not in 3rd party Apps)?

Maybe (the worst deal fitting the issue)Stock apps uses System Characters (that I managed to force to work the way I want)but 3rd party apps use its own (limitated one).

Any ideas?

-pretoo-
    Last edited by pretoo; 10/14/2011 at 05:48 AM.
    Pre3 (UK, QWERTY, Unlocked)
    webOS 2.2.4 (Build 3175), with UberKernel
    UK App Catalog via Impostah
    Orange [PL]
    This has been very useful for me actually Pretoo.

I edited the json file on my Pre3 just now to add :-p and :-D emoticons to the SYM+K list, which had been bothering me for ages!

Also I changed the position of the symbol so its now the first in the list after pressing SYM+H. Very handy for someone in the UK :-)

Only thing I don't know is if it's safe to edit such files with regards to OTA updates?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    This has been very useful for me actually Pretoo.

I edited the json file on my Pre3 just now to add :-p and :-D emoticons to the SYM+K list, which had been bothering me for ages!

Also I changed the position of the symbol so its now the first in the list after pressing SYM+H. Very handy for someone in the UK :-)

Only thing I don't know is if it's safe to edit such files with regards to OTA updates?
    Hi checkmate,
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $editing$ $alternate_chars$.$json$ $is$ $safe$ ($it$ $was$ $when$ $I$ $edited$ $it$ $while$ $on$ $webOS$ $1$.$3$.$1$, $1$.$3$.$5$.$2$ $and$ $1$.$4$).
    Once OTA update (major one I think)it could be reversed to original.
    You have to edit/send edited .json file within/to another dir.

I can't guarantee that is SAFE (completly safe. I don't know if there is any other change caused by edithing this file, but I don't think so). You can always backup original .json file.

Regards,

-pretoo-
    Orange [PL]
    Hi,

I've noticed that above solution doesn't work for all apps.
    Here's the thing: everything is OK in Messaging, Email, Contacts, Memos, Calendar, Just Type, GMaps, etc., but it doesn't in any text editor (Noted! Beta, preText, ClassicNotes, Internalz Pro built-in text editor), Bing Maps (so far). Looks like original character only, not edited.

Is this related to internal ("in-app")encoding limitation?
    Or is it a way to make my Custom/Special Characters work in all apps
    (if works for Stock Apps why not in 3rd party Apps)?

Maybe (the worst deal fitting the issue)Stock apps uses System Characters (that I managed to force to work the way I want)but 3rd party apps use its own (limitated one).

Any ideas?

-pretoo-
    I've managed to locate the file 3rd party apps are using - it's found at:
    usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/383/resources/en_gb/alternatechars_table.json (at least for my UK Pre3, you may need to replace en_gb with your country code).

Its the same file as the one in the mojo2 directory so you can just copy over your updated alternate character file to there. Works perfectly for me now in any app.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    This looked fairly straightforward, although I have never edited json files before. But my edit, using Win 7 notepad, didn't work. Do I need a json editor to change these files or could it be done in any text editor?

Ok, I have noticed that notepad breaks the encoding somehow. I found another editor to use and now it works :-)!
    Last edited by tomoqv; 11/20/2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Further testing
    I just edited the file directly on my pre3 using Internalz....
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I've managed to locate the file 3rd party apps are using - it's found at:
    usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/383/resources/en_gb/alternatechars_table.json (at least for my UK Pre3, you may need to replace en_gb with your country code).

Its the same file as the one in the mojo2 directory so you can just copy over your updated alternate character file to there. Works perfectly for me now in any app.
    Nice find checkmate!
    I'll try that ASAP. That would solve some of my concerns. I'll thank You (Thx Button)as soon as I can post at regular forum (now using Forums).
    If its gonna work that would be awesome!
    I'll report back (later)today.
    -pretoo-

Edit:
    Works like a charm! THX checkmate!
    Last edited by pretoo; 11/21/2011 at 03:30 AM.
    Orange [PL]
    @pretoo and @checkmate: This is great, thanks to both of you!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hi again!
    I have another unsolved problem. The case is after great find by checkmate I'm able to type/insert/write special characters (edited by me), but:
    NOT in Picsel Smart Office. In fackt SYM key stays inactive.
    Maybe there is a easy solution but I couldn't find it (for now, I have a very busy quarter at work). Is there something different about PSO that preventing it from using SC like other Stock & 3rd Party Apps?

Best wishes for the New, 2012 Year!

-pretoo-
    Orange [PL]
    Hi again!
    I have another unsolved problem. The case is after great find by checkmate I'm able to type/insert/write special characters (edited by me), but:
    NOT in Picsel Smart Office. In fackt SYM key stays inactive.
    Maybe there is a easy solution but I couldn't find it (for now, I have a very busy quarter at work). Is there something different about PSO that preventing it from using SC like other Stock & 3rd Party Apps?

Best wishes for the New, 2012 Year!

-pretoo-
    PSO is a PDK app (i.e is written in C/C++). The SYM key works only in SDK apps (i.e. written in JSJSJS $using$ $Mojo$ $or$ $Mojo$ $2$).
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isagar2004 View Post
    PSO is a PDK app (i.e is written in C/C++). The SYM key works only in SDK apps (i.e. written in JSJSJS $using$ $Mojo$ $or$ $Mojo$ $2$).
    Yeah! That is the case.
    Unfortunately in my native lenguage Special Characters are crucial, so (without Copy/Paste feature between PSO and another apps)my document editing experience is incomplete.

Any ideas on how to export (i.e. .txt file)to .doc/.docx within (and offline)webOS?

-pretoo-
    Orange [PL]