Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    The phone app on my Verizon Pre 3 will not dial out.
    The radio is working - I can receive calls and place them from the keyboard and "just type" search results only. Tapping the on screen numbers generates tones and displays the number but nothing happens (the number disappears but no connection is made) when I press the on screen dial button. Tapping a number in an open contact launches phone app but doesn't connect (if phone app was not already open) if phone app was open tapping the number in the contact record does nothing.

I've doctored the phone (version 2.2.3) twice and above symptoms remain.

I received the phone yesterday and am not sure if the phone app worked prior to installing preware, uberkernal, ubercalendar and a couple of patches. I removed all of the patches prior to doctoring.

I would be delighted to hear any suggestions on how to fix. Something is disconnected in the phone app software wise and I'm not sure how to proceed.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hi! I own an HP Pre3 and it fails since i get it out of the box,
    It restarts when the screen in turned off.

I've doctored it 5 times, and still happens the same, the only solution I found is that while the cellphone is in exhibition it will not shutdown or restart, but of course it reduces dramatically the battery life, and obviously is a problem when the phone is in the pocket, hahaha.

When I answer a call an leave a phone away for a while, instead of the phone turning off the screen, it restarts.

If I turn on the phone and I do not use it, after some hours it will turn off. But if use it and do not let the screen to turn off it will work just fine. If I use the phone and after some time I stop using it, the screen turns off, and it locks (which is normal), but If I don't unlock it before 10 minutes or less, if will restart or shutdown automatically.

first I posted this in the developer forums al palm.com, then after a days, I have no response so I sent and email to pdc@palm.com, and also no answer. Then I sent this to Chuq and Ben to see if someone knew who to speak with, Ben told me maybe it was a hardware issue, and that I should talk with the support guys, but they do not support pre3, and yesterday I was told to talk to someone in the UK, but since I am in Mexico, it will be difficult and expensive to send it to repair... Also I do not have an caress to send my pre3, but anyway... If someone could make an app for the exhibition mode that allows to ask for an "unlock" before getting out of exhibition and put the LCD backlit off, I will pay for that, and I be very glad.

This has been my nightmare since it get it out of the box.

RQ
  3. rlh
    Quote Originally Posted by ntg5659 View Post
    The radio is working - I can receive calls and place them from the keyboard and "just type" search results only. Tapping the on screen numbers generates tones and displays the number but nothing happens (the number disappears but no connection is made) when I press the on screen dial button. Tapping a number in an open contact launches phone app but doesn't connect (if phone app was not already open) if phone app was open tapping the number in the contact record does nothing.

I received the phone yesterday and am not sure if the phone app worked prior to installing preware, uberkernal, ubercalendar and a couple of patches. I removed all of the patches prior to doctoring.

I would be delighted to hear any suggestions on how to fix. Something is disconnected in the phone app software wise and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Same here, with the same kind of patches (uberkernel, ubercalendar and a few more)
    Could it be a uberkernel problem ? I was reading somewhere that depending on the CPU frequency mode the phone wouldn't react fast enough to pickup the line/answer calls. I'm going to see there.
  4. rlh

I checked something odd in my Pre3 which has the same problem as yours : When I'm voice dialing I can see that the number called is having a "1" automatically added before the phone number. So of course it doesn't work.
    Do you have the same thing ?

Is there someone around who could tell me if his working Pre3 is showing the same "1" or not ?

I guess it could be related to some localization/international parameter ?
  5. rlh
    ah, no my mistake that "1" is coming from name of the contact "Mr XX - Office 1"

Still looking then :S
    gastr likes this.
  6. rlh
    Same bug appearing on Pre2 : http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tact-list.html seems to be related to Sconix Advanced Prefs patches.
  7. rlh
    @ntg5659
    I noticed something while taping on the screen keypad. If I call a number up to 6 digits it works. More than 6 : it doesn't dial out.

Is your phone doing the same ?
    As to less than 7 digits working, I have not tested that - all US numbers are 7 digits. Over the next few days I'll reactivate the Pre 3 and see if I can call 611 or 311.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have the same problems, well number 2 and 3. I installed UK right away and noticed it wouldn't respond sometimes so i doctored it and it still does it.

I also have had a few times where the battery would just drain really fast. I checked dr.battery and it was draining 500+ mah with nothing going on and screen at half brightness. doctor seems to have fixed this so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kingka View Post
    1) my pre 3 no longer charges from USB. via computer. screen goes black, then i get visual static, then freezes, until i unplug it. it unlocks after about 10-15 seconds.

2) sometimes my pre 3 completely bypasses the lock screen and goes straight to home when i press the sleep/wake button. thats not really a problem since its nearly impossible to pocket dial by accident with this phone, and i assume that is what the lock screen was made to prevent. just a minor annoyance.

3) i often have to slide the kb open a few times before it wakes. and sometimes it wakes after sliding open, but the light is on.
    Every few days my Pre 3 seems to just run out of memory. It happens when I leave it in standby mode with some stuff open. When I get back to it it won't let me open anything else, even if I have very little open. Twice it's even given me the TMC error after closing everything. Restarting fixes it for a while.
    AT&T 16GB Pre 3, webOS 2.2.3. I've tried Secure Full Erase and webOS Doctor which don't fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Phone only charges to about 70% over the last few nights because it got so warm on the touchstone. Removing it from the touchstone and letting it cool down for a few minutes let it continue charging and reach 100%. Quite annoying.
    I have the 70% charge issue as well on one of my two Pre 3s. Same touchstone, which implies that it's not the touchstone that's faulty. However, if I unplug the touchstone's cable and charge the phone with that it works perfectly, which implies that it is the touchstone that's faulty. Must be a combination of the touchstone and something in the phone. Could be the phone model, I have two models. Another possibility is the battery. I'm going to swap the batteries of my phones to see if that's it.
  12. rlh
    As to less than 7 digits working, I have not tested that - all US numbers are 7 digits. Over the next few days I'll reactivate the Pre 3 and see if I can call 611 or 311.
    In France they are 10 digits long, so I just typed bogus numbers on the screen keypad of the "phone" app : 1, 01, 011, 0111...
    every time the phone dialed out (calling nowhere but at least it was dialing out) until I tried to call a 7 digits number : the phone ignored it completely erasing the number as soon as I pressed the "call" button.

I got in contact with Sconix because I thought it may be related to his advanced phone prefs settings. I removed all the patches but it made no difference. I was going to follow his advice and doctor it but I remembered you said you did doctor it and it didn't change anything ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    I have the 70% charge issue as well on one of my two Pre 3s. Same touchstone, which implies that it's not the touchstone that's faulty. However, if I unplug the touchstone's cable and charge the phone with that it works perfectly, which implies that it is the touchstone that's faulty. Must be a combination of the touchstone and something in the phone. Could be the phone model, I have two models. Another possibility is the battery. I'm going to swap the batteries of my phones to see if that's it.
    I swap between two batteries it doesn't seem to make a difference. It also has happened when I use the cable only, although I was using the touchpad charger. Its definitely the heat. When running Govnah you can see that the warmer the phone gets, the lower the charging rate. If the phone is in the 30's or low 40's the charging rate is around 400+ mAh. When it heats up it lowers into the 100 range. Last few nights I'd wake up and look at the phone and see that its at 50 degrees. And for some reason the CPU wouldn't scale down, it stayed at 1.4 GHz. One method I've gotten the phone to fully charge is to force the CPU to run at 122MHz. **** then the phone is very sluggish and can miss phone calls and alarms.

I doctored my phone yesterday and the CPU seems to be properly scaling now and it charged to 100% last night. So I will keep an eye on it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Screen brightness seems to randomly go up and down. however, I've just installed Uberkernel, set it to "Performance" and it seems a bit better.

Edit No - still does it.

Alan
    Last edited by alan sh; 12/11/2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Screen brightness seems to randomly go up and down. however, I've just installed Uberkernel, set it to "Performance" and it seems a bit better.

Edit No - still does it.

Alan
    Many people (including myself) had the same issue and fixed it by installing the "Disable Light Sensitive Dimming" patch.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Many thanks. This was becoming a real pain.

Alan
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Hello,
    I have since a few days pre3 works well, albeit with some known bugs.
    A rapid test gives a failure of modem code 1000, is it serious?
    Thank you
    1. Give a brief description of what happened.

Phone freezes in standby state.
    Display will not respond to any of the usual "wake" commands.
    Opening the slider will not turn the screen on.
    Pressing the power button does nothing either.
    Alarms do not sound.
    Alerts do not sound.
    Emails do not come in.
    SMS do not come in.
    Calls do not come in.

The only way to recover from this (that I know of) is to reboot the phone. (press power button + toggle mute trice)

2. Do you receive any error messages?

None that are displayed obviously.

3. What are the expected results?

I expect to be able to rely on my phone to wake up in the morning not oversleep an important conference call!

4. What application exhibits the symptom?

WebOS 2.2.3 and WebOS 2.2.4

5. What account does the symptom appear in? (e.g. Facebook, Google etc)

n/a

6. Have you downloaded an application outside of the App Catalog?

Yes. Many actually, but this behavior has always occurred, even after a fresh visit to the doctor.

a. If so, what application and where from?

All from Preware, too many to list. Most invasive install (in my half-baked opinion) are the advanced system behavior and advanced menu patches.

7. What are you doing when the issue happens?

Cursing mostly.

8. When did the symptom first appear?

Since purchasing the phone. I didn't report the bug earlier as I cannot consistently reproduce it. I was also hoping that the 2.2.4 update would squash it.

9. How frequently does the symptom occur?

2-3 times a week.

10. Can you tie the issue back to a specific action or does it appear to be random?

Unfortunately I cannot figure out (yet) if there is a specific cause.

11. Can you effectively replicate the issue?

No. I will say that the phone does not spontaneously freeze when the screen is active. This only happens when the screen is already off.

12. Is something else involved besides the webOS device?

No.

13. Can HP contact you for further questions and or log files? (yes or no)***

Yes, I would be delighted to have this critical bug squashed and will do whatever I can to help.

Folks, this is a critical bug. If I cannot rely on the alarms and reminders then this phone becomes useless to me. I may switch to a Pre 2 or even jump ship to something more reliable. Let me know what I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerq View Post
    Hi! I own an HP Pre3 and it fails since i get it out of the box,
    It restarts when the screen in turned off.
    RQ
    I suspect this is the same problem I'm having.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I've had a problem with my Pre3 when copying MP3 files to it with a USB cable. A few files will be copied, but within a minute, Windows Explorer will pop-up an error dialog about the file that was being written not being accessible, and then any further browsing of the file structure on the device fails. When I disconnect the phone, the USB drive photo stays on the screen until I hold down the power button.
    I had the same issue when the computer was a several-years-old desktop, but it disappeared when using a new laptop. It seems to be a delayed-write issue related to the USB speed of the computer.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast