Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    are they somehow restricting the device somewhere in their software or it is done through serial numbers or in the hardware?
    what is the last news? i'm bidding for att pre 3 on ebay. can i use skype or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by levoresume View Post
    what is the last news? i'm bidding for att pre 3 on ebay. can i use skype or not?
    Yes. Either download from the App Catalogue or use the IPK root method.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    For what it's worth, I have an AT&T Pre 3 with AT&T Sim, and I got Skype from the HP app catalog, just by searching for it. Either they've removed it, or there's something strange going on.
  5. dwc
    Does anyone know what other apps, other than skype are not available in the US catalog for non-ATT users?
    skype is not available for me in the app catalogue
    at&t unlocked rogers canada
    There has to be something funny about how an *unlocked* ATT Pre 3 registers itself on the network or something.

I now have an ATT SIM in it (but the first SIM I put in it was a T-Mobile SIM). I used Internalz Pro to install the skype IPK from the Verizon Pre 2 doctor. I didn't get any error messages during the install. Restarting Luna wasn't enough to let me try to log into skype through the messaging app, but after a full restart, I was able to get to the skype login dialog through the account menu of the messaging app.

But now I get the following message after I try to log in: "Your account is not configured for this service".

This could be because I'm on ATT, but since others have reported they're easily able to go to the app store on their ATT Pre 3 and simply download and install the app without any issue, my being on ATT shouldn't be a problem. Except that the IPK I'm using is from the Verizon Doctor. And that's because I couldn't find any skype related files (IPK or otherwise) in either the Euro doctor or the ATT Pre 3 doctor.
    So the error message could be because of the mismatch between my ATT device on the ATT network and the Skype app from the Verizon Doctor. But for that mismatch to be "recognized", ATT has to be recognized as at least my device and/or carrier. But if that were the case, one would think I should be able to simply download the app from the app store.
    What gives?

Any suggestions welcome at this point. By the way, I'm running into a similar problem with Spotify on my Pre 3. I can't find it in the app store, and when I try to go to the link directly, the app store says: "this application is not available for your model".

As I said, I'm open to any suggestions. Also, if anyone has found the skpe IPK files anywhere other than the Verizon Pre 2 Doctor, please let me know which doctor.
    I forgot to add that both Device Info and Impostah->Device Profile->carrier indicate that ATT is indeed my carrier ...
    mmm... Wonder if somehow getting rid of that line in the device info that specifies the carrier to be AT&T regardless of what SIM being installed in there would fix it...
    I tried to reload my profile with impostah, thinking that the "AT&T"ness of my phone may have been compromised by the fact that a t-mobile SIM was in there when I first activated my profile. That actually caused my Pre to go into a restart infinite loop, so I had to re-doctor it. Which I did with the AT&T doctor for the Pre 3. Re-activated my profile, and I still can't see either Spotify or Skype in my app store.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Did you try searching the store for it? When I did it, I just typed "Skype" from the front page of the store and it came up.
    Oh, I wish it was that simple. Yes, I tried that, and also tried going to the app link off of Palm's web site directly from my Pre, and it tells me the app is not available for my carrier.
    I'm having the same problem. I cannot find Skype in the App Catalog, or as a HP Synergy service. Also, there is not Account Settings option in the Phone application's Preference card. I have a unlocked ATT Pre3 with a TMobille SIM card in it.

A friend purchased an ATT Pre3 and has his ATT SIM card in it. Skype works fine on his.

I will try his SIM card in my Pre3 and see if Skype options appear.
    here is my take...

need an at&t pre 3
    activate first with pre 3 with at&t sim
    search and download skype from app cat.

seems that people who cannot find or download skype on their at&t pre 3 are ones who activated on non at&t carriers. i would suggest doing a complete wipe and then doctor. register the pre by using an at&t sim, create a new profile (i wouldnt re use the profile that was created with the non at&t sim) and then see if the can find skype in the app cat. if they can, install and setup skype. test to see if it works. if it does then shut it down and then insert the non at&t sim, boot up and retest to see if skype works.
    Quote Originally Posted by drkangela6 View Post
    got mine from app catalog...US ATT Pre3 running 2.2.3 on ATT 4G....
    I have ATT Pre 3 with webOS 2.2.3 and still can't find the skype app. Get the carrier not supported error too. So, I'm not sure how the person above is able to get the app. I had tried with webOS 2.2.0 before I put on 2.2.3 and still no success
    Does the Skype here allow video calls over wifi?

-- Sent from my White HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by oheneaku View Post
    I have ATT Pre 3 with webOS 2.2.3 and still can't find the skype app. Get the carrier not supported error too. So, I'm not sure how the person above is able to get the app. I had tried with webOS 2.2.0 before I put on 2.2.3 and still no success
    Is your Pre 3 locked or unlocked? It's starting to look like that might be the difference.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    here is my take...

need an at&t pre 3
    activate first with pre 3 with at&t sim
    search and download skype from app cat.

seems that people who cannot find or download skype on their at&t pre 3 are ones who activated on non at&t carriers. i would suggest doing a complete wipe and then doctor. register the pre by using an at&t sim, create a new profile (i wouldnt re use the profile that was created with the non at&t sim) and then see if the can find skype in the app cat. if they can, install and setup skype. test to see if it works. if it does then shut it down and then insert the non at&t sim, boot up and retest to see if skype works.
    Yep, I agree this may work, although I did do the above minus the new profile just last night. I will try with a brand new profile as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I cannot find Skype in the App Catalog, or as a HP Synergy service. Also, there is not Account Settings option in the Phone application's Preference card. I have a unlocked ATT Pre3 with a TMobille SIM card in it.

A friend purchased an ATT Pre3 and has his ATT SIM card in it. Skype works fine on his.

I will try his SIM card in my Pre3 and see if Skype options appear.
    Please let us know how you do, but what you're about to try is exactly what I tried earlier this week to no avail, so you may want to wipe ahead of getting your friend's SIM, so you're ready to activate from scratch when you borrow it.
    Either way, let us know how you do.

Quote Originally Posted by dbashizi View Post
    Yep, I agree this may work, although I did do the above minus the new profile just last night. I will try with a brand new profile as well.

The problem seems to be if you have a locked version of ATT and unlock with a non-ATT before you activate. After you've unlocked, even reactivating from scratch with an ATT SIM after clean wipe, does not work. Somehow the initial unlocking disables skype. I think ATT tech support may be best bet to re-enable.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast