Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    I've now tried the following:
    * webOS doctor for ATT Pre 3 - I'm now on webOS 2.2.3
    * I have tried searching for the skype app in the app catalog using both a t-mobile and an at&t SIM. Neither works (i.e. the skype app doesn't show in the results)
    * I have tried going straight to the download link for the skype app (which I posted earlier), and I get a message telling me my carrier is not supported. Again, this is the case with either t-mobile or at&t SIMs.
    * I have tried getting the IPK from the Verizon Pre 3 doctor, but none there.
    * I have tried getting the IPK from the at&t Pre 3 doctor, but none there. (looks like the VZ and ATT doctors are the same?)
    * I got the IPKs from the Verizon Pre 2 doctor
    * Tried to install the above IPKs through quick install and through novaterm, but in both cases I get dependencies errors.

So ... does anyone have the IPK from the app store with all the dependencies, and can you post it somewhere accessible please?

TIA ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbashizi View Post
    I've now tried the following:
    * webOS doctor for ATT Pre 3 - I'm now on webOS 2.2.3
    * I have tried searching for the skype app in the app catalog using both a t-mobile and an at&t SIM. Neither works (i.e. the skype app doesn't show in the results)
    * I have tried going straight to the download link for the skype app (which I posted earlier), and I get a message telling me my carrier is not supported. Again, this is the case with either t-mobile or at&t SIMs.
    * I have tried getting the IPK from the Verizon Pre 3 doctor, but none there.
    * I have tried getting the IPK from the at&t Pre 3 doctor, but none there. (looks like the VZ and ATT doctors are the same?)
    * I got the IPKs from the Verizon Pre 2 doctor
    * Tried to install the above IPKs through quick install and through novaterm, but in both cases I get dependencies errors.

So ... does anyone have the IPK from the app store with all the dependencies, and can you post it somewhere accessible please?

TIA ...
    all you need is to find TTB's post on force install.. on someones "cant buy it" post about their pre3
    Thanks, but could you be more specific please?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbashizi View Post
    Thanks, but could you be more specific please?
    ipkg -force-depends install (whatever the skype package is called)

put the package in the root
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    More info for newbies?
    Quote Originally Posted by eighthree View Post
    ipkg -force-depends install (whatever the skype package is called)

put the package in the root
    That is almost never the correct thing to do (on both items).

If a package has a dependency, you'll need the dependency installed too for the package to work.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is almost never the correct thing to do (on both items).

If a package has a dependency, you'll need the dependency installed too for the package to work.

-- Rod
    TTB had a post somewhere that suggested this.. anyway, this is what I did on my ATT Pre 3 and skype works :S
    OK just tried with a Rogers SIM on Rogers 3G, didn't work either. Still says "not supported by carrier".
    Bah! is it not possible for someone to create a mirror for the ipk for this??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Think I'm going to try the IPK method next. If else fails, Euro doctor debrand time. I hate that AT&T boot logo anyways.
    Bah! is it not possible for someone to create a mirror for the ipk for this??

Only those with the legal rights to redistribute it may do so.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OK, after trying the Rogers SIM method and failing, I was like "screw this" and installed using the root IPK method. Logged on to my Skype account, and voila, it all works.

Just as a safety check, I ran through the find . grep skype check, and it seems like the skypem package is indeed installed, except it's not listed in ipkg, which causes the package dependency to fail. All the files are there and looks identical to the directory listing of the Euro doctor.

Voice works BRILLIANTLY and the quality is excellent. Even over 3G it's great.

One thing I'm not sure. Is video calling supposed to be landscape only? I rotated it vertically and my friend says my face is turned 90 degrees.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Think I'm going to try the IPK method next. If else fails, Euro doctor debrand time. I hate that AT&T boot logo anyways.
    You can replace it with your own image.. :,D

@rwhitby I thought so.. Ah well.

You can replace it with your own image.. :,D

@rwhitby I thought so.. Ah well.

I got it working for the Veer, but that same file no longer exist.

forums.precentral.net/hp-veer/289105-disable-t-boot-logo.html
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

OK, after trying the Rogers SIM method and failing, I was like "screw this" and installed using the root IPK method. Logged on to my Skype account, and voila, it all works.

Just as a safety check, I ran through the find . grep skype check, and it seems like the skypem package is indeed installed, except it's not listed in ipkg, which causes the package dependency to fail. All the files are there and looks identical to the directory listing of the Euro doctor.

Voice works BRILLIANTLY and the quality is excellent.

One thing I'm not sure. Is video calling supposed to be landscape only? I rotated it vertically and my friend says my face is turned 90 degrees.
    Yeah idk. I think were stuck on the way it acts right now.

I got it working for the Veer, but that same file no longer exist.

forums.precentral.net/hp-veer/289105-disable-t-boot-logo.html
    Bah!! Oh noes. Must scour for it!

is there a reason why some at&t pre 3 cant seem to get skype from the app cat.

on another note, it seems that after i installed the update, my skype seems to sound much better. no noise or clicking. dont know if this is due to my wireless connection or the upgrade.

for info for others, i was able to get skype from the app cat before the upgade. dont know why not all at&ts pre 3 are having trouble with finding or installing skype.
  18. dwc
    I can add one more report of an AT&T pre3 first-use'd with a T-mobile SIM is being "not available for your carrier"-ed. Could this be an initial-carrier issue with the device profile? That being thrown out there, why would it be restricted? The ROW devices and Verizon devices have it in the doctor.
    I think the issue is that Rogers/AT&T don't want people using Skype since they get to charge an arm and a leg for their voice and sms service. I have Rogers wireless sim installed in the unlocked AT&T Pre3 and can't get Skype either.
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoffuture View Post
    I think the issue is that Rogers/AT&T don't want people using Skype since they get to charge an arm and a leg for their voice and sms service. I have Rogers wireless sim installed in the unlocked AT&T Pre3 and can't get Skype either.
    Well actually Rogers is listed as a "supported" carrier on the list.

I somewhat doubt it actually has anything to do with the carriers.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast