Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    That is what I got when I tried logging in on my Veer. Maybe its a server issues?
    do to the single back mounted camera
    but I would still love to see it implemented
    Veer folks need to be creative
    I cant seem to install the IPK it says FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL on package
    com.palm.app.skype_1.1-8.3_armv7.ipk

skypem is a binary located in usr/bin of the pre3 doctor

Update: I am in progress in searching for dependencies, and trying to get them over to pre2
    Last edited by ahsirg; 09/21/2011 at 01:54 AM.
    Ok i have installed pretty much everything skype related from the pre3 (well, not really 'installed', just loaded via novacom in appropriate places)
    When trying to login the following happens:
    skypevalidator : *** var/skypekit found
    skypevalidator gstQueryResult failed: unknown

The binary files all seem to run ok, except for skypem giving the error

root@Ryhor Burakou's Palm Pre:/bin# skypem
    [2011-09-20 22:39:31:191] [0x3557ae10] [notice] [skypem]: skypem starting...

(process:4348): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Error in /home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-roadrunner/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-125/125/src/transport.c:2359

(process:4348): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Invalid permissions for com.palm.skype
    skypem: error opening -- luna-service: Invalid permissions for com.palm.skype (/home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-roadrunner/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-125/125/src/transport.c:2359)
    stop: (02853/484384765) Job not changed: skypekit
    root@Ryhor Burakou's Palm Pre:/bin#
    Last edited by ahsirg; 09/21/2011 at 04:31 AM.
    There might be two kinds of permissions here...

first is linux file access permissions. Did you make skypem executable after you copied it?

second are webOs permissions that are needed to be set correctly for synergy plugins (which skype is). But that should be in the ipkg itself... For example on my pre3 there are files in /etc/palm/db/permissions/com.palm.skype, those are necessary.
    We already tried to get Skype installed on the Sprint/etc Pre2 in #webos-internals by extracting the .ipk and dependencies from the Verizon Pre2 doctor. Ran into the same problems as you and gave up.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Soorma likes this.
    That is very sad, but thanks for the info!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Yayyy first thing I did was download skype to my pre 3!
    Soorma likes this.
    Yeah I did this a while ago (with the Euro Pre 3 Doctor) and ran into the same permissions problems. That's about where I gave up also. : /.
    Last edited by SirataXero; 09/22/2011 at 12:17 AM.
    We already tried to get Skype installed on the Sprint/etc Pre2 in #webos-internals by extracting the .ipk and dependencies from the Verizon Pre2 doctor. Ran into the same problems as you and gave up.
    Verizon pre 2 Skype is different as it checked to see if the call came from Verizon's network IIRC

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    it wouldnt be anything to do with the enyo framework would it? maybe install this on a veer and then try skype?
    Quote Originally Posted by imthejman View Post
    I've been trying to install it on my UK pre3 on AT&T, but I get an "unknown error" when trying to log on and it appears to uninstall itself.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem?
    I'm also experiencing the same problem. I wouldn't really know how to fix it. Tried to remove account, nothing. Tried to reboot, nothing. When I reboot its like it uninstalls itself and says in the app catalogue that I can download for free... Eeek. Uk pre.
    This is just an FYI in case other people have this issue, and to make it easily searchable. :P

So, on my AT&T Pre 3 I had installed Skype but couldn't get it to load my Skype contacts, accept Skype calls, etc. The issue was that I had to go into the "Contacts" app and manually sync all accounts so that it would pull in my Skype contacts. Why it would not do that automatically, I don't know.
  13.    #53  
    UK Pre3 should already have Skype. Why are you guys reinstalling?
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    sara.ramli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    UK Pre3 should already have Skype. Why are you guys reinstalling?
    Because I keep getting the "unknown error" message... Same with imthejman here.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by zachthemaster View Post
    Because I keep getting the "unknown error" message... Same with imthejman here.
    Oh Sorry. Hmm, that is weird. Hey, try extracting the .ipk from the EU Doctor and doing a root-install (not WOQI). Tell me if you need the ipk but it should be rather easy finding it in the EU Doctor.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    i keep getting the unknown error on my ATT Pre 3 as well...
    Guys ... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have an ATT Pre 3 with webOS 2.2.3. It's unlocked and running off of a t-mobile SIM at the moment. I cannot see Skype in the App Store, so I'm confused by everyone saying Skype is now downloadable in the app store.
    What am I missing?

Also, is there a way to do video calling with the Pre 3 (with or without Skype)?

Cheers ...
    Did any of the Att Pre 3 guys fix their unknown error message?
    Quote Originally Posted by kar1179 View Post
    Did any of the Att Pre 3 guys fix their unknown error message?
    To those of us having this problem it is just waaaaaay simpler than we expected.....
    Just open your messaging like you are going to send a sms, select the buddies tab....and voila! Skype contacts!
    You can select the contact, select the Skype drop-down menu and press the phone icon if you want to make a call. I tried it and it started ringing but I hung up because I knew the person was not home so I am not sure if it actually works for calls or not yet.

Edit: Basically, I think the unkown error was because I was already signed in.....
    I get the unknown error, but my Skype is not logged in. Neither does it work to call or message anyone.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast